What made Ringo a great drummer

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ASATKat, Apr 4, 2019.

1. dodona

dodona TDPRI Member

I never heard anybody claiming that Ringo was a great drummer. He always was regarded as a dilettante.

2. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

Great video! Great drummer - Ringo! Great band -Beatles!
    Goofy hairs though.

3. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

B**ls**t

Did you even watch the video?

4. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Most of the things critics identify as lacking in Ringo's drumming are things I don't particularly value, myself. I'll take Ringo's touch, economy, humor, and swing over the complexity of other drummers. He really has a voice. I'll take Ringo and some of the other "loose" players like Ginger Baker and, yes, Kieth Moon over the strict timekeepers and machine gunners out there. Ringo and Baker play with time brilliantly. (Ringo's son, Zakk, is pretty impressive in his own powerful way. I've seen him many times, both with Oasis and the Who.)

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Ringo is a great drummer. His drumming with the Beatles didn't make me think that he was so terrific, it was what he did in The Band and what he did on his solo albums that got more attention from me.
    I don't think that he is the best drummer in Rock and Roll, there are many others I would think of for that designation. He is a very good drummer and belongs in the top 15 anyway.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  6. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

^
    You're right, because the best is Earl Palmer..?

Of course "best" is always a matter of opinion.. unless there was a competition?

2 Headed Goat and Zepfan like this.
  7. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I never thought Ringo was a GREAT drummer, but he was a band / song appropriate drummer who kep time and didn’t get in the way. Which by some definitions makes him a great drummer, but there are a LOT of drummers who can do that well, so I don’t consider it great so much as essential. I think Charlie Watts is / was better just because he was part of arguably the greatest rhythm section in rock’n roll and managed to find a way to make Keef sound even better, but again, he was more of a band / song drummer than someone who ever stood out in his own right.

For my money, the greatest rock drummer who ever lived was Keith Moon. Other folks would put Ginger and Bonham in that slot, but to me they were nowhere near as inventive as Moonie, who wasn’t playing the drums so much as dancing on them. He held it down but he didn’t JUST hold it down - he also took it places it never would have gone without him. I think Elvin Jones was that guy in jazz, and there are a lot of great drummers in jazz. But the way Elvin and McCoy Tyner and Coltrane played together in Trane’s quartet recordings to this day blows my mind regularly - three overwhelmingly inventive and percussive and just powerhouse musicians driving the same music forward together. I always felt for the bass player (mostly Jimmie Garrison but sometimes Paul Chambers or Reggie Workman) trying to find a place in all of that.

-Ray

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Greggorios and Zepfan like this.
  8. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

of all the comments that say ringo sucked or whatever, no one has ever said well he should have played this or that ..... no one can say exactly what he should have played to satisfy them.

However, Paul often says Ringo was as an equal part of the "band" as any one else.

Furthermore, is it even possible that at that level of the "game" (money talks up there) he wouldn't have been replaced if there was any issue whatsoever? They had no problem replacing the first guy.

I very rarely say or think this but I feel that ANYONE who puts down Ringo's playing is suffering from tall poppy syndrome. Or that bull crap artist put down of another artist that seems to happen a lot.

IMO. :)

9. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have long held the opinion that notions of 'the best', 'the worst', 'good', or 'great' aren't useful when discussing music (or indeed, the arts in general).

There is merely that which each of us find attractive or meaningful, that that which we don't.

I happen to think that Ringo Starr's greatness is in his attitude, his feel, his sense of swing, his longevity, and his knack for surrounding himself with fabulous people.

In my career field, one doesn't describe somebody as 'a great pilot' simply because they fly the aircraft smoothly and skillfully when they are at the controls. That finesse and skill is just one component of what makes a great pilot.
    (Other, perhaps more important, elements include intelligence, dependability, good judgement, and sound decision making acumen.)

Some guitar players consider Steve Vai one of the all time great guitar players.
    Others would listen to fifteen seconds of his complex solos and turn the radio knob immediately off.
    Choose another artist, state an opinion, and wait three seconds for somebody else to argue with you over it.
    Joe Bonamassa, Peter Criss, Jerry Garcia, Noel Redding, Charlie Parker, Kenny G.....??

In the end, Ringo Starr is undeniably a legendary and influential drummer.
    I don't think I'll get any arguments on that.

Or maybe I will.
    And that's my point exactly.

:oops:

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

As a package the Beatles were great. They wouldn't have been the same without Ringo.

Yoko was just lucky she hooked up with John.

11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

For someone that many of you dismiss as a weak drummer, he sure had enough fans in the musical community to get many VERY accomplished players to tour with him in the many different versions of Ringo's Allstars. And it's not like any of them needed the money or the exposure, so they must have respected him as a musician and enjoyed playing with him.

sonicsmitty, DonM, stinkey and 4 others like this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Very well said...especially the Jimmie Vaughan line.

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Agreed Sparky2 there is no best, worst, most influential musician.
    Ringo played melodically as a drummer i.e. to the song and kept good timing.

Straydogger, Greggorios and Artunes like this.
  14. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've taken up drums in recent years. Apart from everything else - try making your right foot do what his does. Good luck.

MilwMark and Greggorios like this.
  15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

"What made Ringo a great drummer"

Isn't that like asking what makes Schlitz a great beer?

Greggorios likes this.
  16. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Jimmy Vaughan, I get it.

aadvark, Fiesta Red and rand z like this.
  17. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Not at all,
    isn't that just a cheap put down?

One thing is for certain, undeniable fact, At over $400 million, Ringo has made the most money of any drummer in history.

rand z likes this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I wish more bar band drummers would strive to be Ringo. Instead, 90% seem to think they're Neil Peart.

19. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

In a world of drummers that constantly speed up and don't pay attention, I'd give anything to have a drummer half as good as Ringo!

20. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Many of these same things could be said about Charlie Watts.

Larmo63 and Greggorios like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.