What made Ringo a great drummer

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ASATKat, Apr 4, 2019.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

BigNorm, SPUDCASTER, Ben-Zion and 3 others like this.
  2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Anyone who doubts that RS is/was great should listen to the early live rock and roll recordings. RS was a powerhouse drummer!

drlucky, wannabeatle, stinkey and 9 others like this.
  3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I always thought he was marginal, even for rock and roll. The story goes that Paul would sneak back into the studio to re-record drum parts that Ringo couldn’t nail down. The jazz drummers of the day could play circles around RS. The Beatles were amazing, but Ringo was the weak link.

Deathray likes this.
  4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Ringo is one of the most polarizing figures in pop history.

nojazzhere and klasaine like this.
  5. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Yoko probably has him beat!

6. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe, but I don’t know any Yoko fans not named John Lennon. Folks argue long into the night as to whether RS was over or underrated. It seems strange for a guy who never seems to have cared one way or the other about what everyone else thinks.

Matthias, Matt G, Piggy Stu and 4 others like this.
  7. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I am a Yoko fan. A lot of people aren't into atonal music. The same people who laugh at Henry Kaiser laugh at Yoko but when you listen to what these folks do it's great on a different level. Some people don't get it.

jimmytheshoe, KCJonez and rand z like this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I didn't watch the video, but I have always though Ringo was a kind of genius of a drummer. Extremely musical, lots of swing/r&b in him, and kind of atypical for a rock drummer in the composition of his parts. One of the best rock drummers of all time IMO. And I say that as someone who doesn't even idolize The Beatles.

10. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I don't understand why people don't like his playing.
    His time is excellent, he gets in a groove, and stays there.
    Ringo drumming and John Lennon playing rhythm guitar were a seminal pair.
    Plus, there are several "Ringo" beats that did not exist before him.
    I think he is excellent.

RadioFM74, FatRosie, BigNorm and 19 others like this.
  11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

He is great because, when he sits down behind the kit, he doesn't "play the drums." He plays the song.

He keeps time, creates the rhythm the song needs to be better than just another song, inserts unique fills, and keeps things pulled together. He does things that create distinctive styles: the sideways 'splash' technique on the hi hat; playing a right-handed kit, but often playing 'across' the drums from right to left because he's left-handed; his stick 'grip' of a left-handed player on a right-handed kit; his adding a lot of swing to rock songs.

He plays exactly what the song needs, and nothing else. He's the Jimmie Vaughan of the drums.

12. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted

My favorite drummer. By the way, I am not a drummer.

Ben-Zion and Greggorios like this.
  13. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Paul did not 'sneak' back to the studio to re-record some of Ringo's parts.
    Paul did play drums on several Beatles tracks. He also played lead guitar on a few things.
    *Read the Geoff Emerick book. It's very elucidating ... https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/he...Uy7GbaUwMXETEvvFEPRnB3aqNfP8WwaAjIIEALw_wcB#/

Ringo had GREAT time and rhythmic concept. He and Hal Blaine invented 'modern' rock and pop drumming.

Anyone that doesn't hear that isn't listening.

drlucky, soul-o, Matt G and 16 others like this.
  14. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

It's a shame Ringo was never as good a drummer as Paul. Then Ringo could have released this:

on second thought maybe Linda should have played drums

15. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

Actually, I heard that Ringo snuck back into the studio and did these drum parts....;);):twisted:

Matt G, Blue Bill, nojazzhere and 4 others like this.
  16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

George Martin wouldn't let Ringo play on early albums because he wasn't a clock - but he played with flair and passion.

I always thought of him as being a bit like Bonham - not conventional and not just timekeepers. I know most drummers kind of hate covering them because theethe often no lock-in and they lead on the left a lot.

Ben-Zion and aadvark like this.
  17. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

The never ending debate...genius, or no? Ringo is the first to admit he was no genius, and his "style", comes from the fact that he was left handed, and learned to play drums right handed, (he was self taught). He said his breaks, and rolls were unconventional because he couldn't roll smoothly from snare, to tom, to floor tom as most other drummers could, so he improvised to compensate. This was where his uniqueness (is that a real word?) comes into play, and is (to me), instrumental in the "Beatles sound". Lennon and McCartney probably would have been famous singers/songwriters, regardless. The Beatles without Ringo...I have my doubts, Ringo did have a definite knack for what sounded good, had great timing, and used the tools he did have in his arsenal to great effect. Although he may not have been the most talented musician of the group, he was as much the essence of the Beatles, as John, Paul and George. Just my .02 cents...

18. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I am more of Stones fan, but like Charlie Watts Ringo is a great drummer because of his economy. He never overplays though it probably drove him up the wall that he had to be a drum machine for Lennon and Macca. His fills are often one of the more memorable moments of a song. For sure my favorite Beatle:

19. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The only tunes that Ringo didn't play on were 'Please, Please Me', 'Love Me Do, and PS I Love You, their 1st singles. Andy White played drums and Ringo played maracas. In fact, there are two releases of Love Me Do - the Brit release is with Ringo on drums and the original US release is w/o Ringo.

Again, those of you who have doubts or questions about Beatles sessions - consult the Emerick book. He was the 'balance' engineer for most of their recorded history.

And I'll reiterate that if you don't hear, feel and understand what's cool about Ringo, you ain't listening.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  20. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm 72 years old and never heard that story. As talented as Paul was, he is marginal as a drummer. He can keep a beat and that is about it. Listen to The Ballad of John and Yoko.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.