What live performance has made the biggest impression on you?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Fletcher, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Gham

Gham Tele-Meister

Sneeky Pete's? Don't tell me thats the club on Northwest Hwy and either Skillman or Abrams? I grew up in Plano in the 70's and we used to sneek into a club called Sneeky Pete's all the time.They had a great house band called Lightning

2. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

For me it would have to be the first time I saw Eric Clapton in 1980 at the Edinburgh Empire. He was heavily into the alcohol at the time but he could still play very fluently. The highlight of the show for me was his extended solo on 'Double Trouble' when he goes high up the neck and coaxes some amazing harmonics out of Blackie. Fortunately the 'One More Night' album - which he was promoting at the time - has a very similar performance on it.

Even now, that solo makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

And Albert Lee was also in the band and was pretty damn amazing as well!!

3. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Probably the most hair raising performance by anyone ever in my experience and I'm nearly 60 was a few years ago at the Augusta Heritage Center. I was there for Swing Week and Blues week was the same week. Singer/Pianist Kelley Hunt one of the Blues performers that week did a concert. The last song she did solo was like nothing I've ever experienced. People were visibly moved. I saw sitting next to Gaye Adegbalola and Ann Rabson of Uppity Blues Women and they were as stunned as anyone. It was one of those musical moments that can never be created in a studio and are rare in a live performance too. I'm certain everyone in that room felt it as strongly as I did.

Martin Sexton can really bring it too. Nothing beats the human voice for the full range of musical expression. Although the first time I saw Greg Koch pick up a guitar and make it do whatever he wished it brought a tear to my eye.

4. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin Tele-Meister

The biggest impression I personally got from a band was Ramones at CBGB in New York a long time ago.---- They freaked me out man. If a band freaks you out.....they're good. (IMHO and all that.)

If Lemmy writes a song about your band......you're legendary. :D

5. polkat

polkat TDPRI Member

For me it was the Stephane Grappelli Winery concert with Joe Pass on guitar. Or any of the Stephane Grappelli/David Grisman concerts in SF. No, not strictly guitar concerts, but quite inspiring!! For guitar based, it would be any of the Tommy Emmanuael concerts.

6. Fool. Esq.

Fool. Esq. Tele-Meister

Prince. Every show I've seen has been amazing on some level, but there are a few that really stand out. He played a few early morning gigs at Paisley Park in the early and mid-1990s that were breathtaking -- he had a band who could really follow him, and his anger with Warner Bros. brought out a real aggression in his guitar playing. During the Santana medley he liked to play at that time, I could have sworn that his entire 5'2" body was levitating off the stage. Maybe that huge symbol-shaped guitar was keeping him on the ground, I don't know.

It was fascinating to see how well rehearsed his band was -- it seemed like every eye movement, finger twitch and high-heeled boot stomp from Prince was a cue to the band. He could stop them on a dime, call turnarounds, change keys and keep everything dead in the pocket -- seemingly effortlessly. Every other band I've seen since has seemed wooden or sloppy by comparison.

7. Tippy

Tippy TDPRI Member

Two gigs were life altering for me:

1.) Van Halen 1980: My first concert ever, and truly a "Detroit Rock City" experience. Life seemed totally different to me after that night.

2.) Springsteen 1985: Mind-blowing in a way I can't describe. The sense of community in huge stadium, and just the epic nature of the show.

8. claudel

claudel Tele-Afflicted

Pls xcus repost

I've been to probably hundreds of gigs in the last ~50 years or so.

Link Wray in a church basement ( first real show ) - 1963
    Roy B at the Silver Dollar all ages matinee ~1964 or so
    Beatles @ RFK - 1966
    The Who opening for Herman's Hermits - 1967
    First Grateful Dead show of many - 1967 when it was still Pig's band.
    Jefferson Airplane - 1967
    Led Zeppelin - first time, they opened for Vanilla Fudge - hadn't a clue who they were when I went in.
    Few other Zep shows including the Meltdown show in Oakland
    Plastic Ono Band - Live Peace in Toronto - Might even be in a crowd shot in the video
    Pink Floyd ( no Syd :^( ) several times
    Weather Report a few times
    Spyboy
    Tool

On & on I could go, but I won't...

The one that stands out the most would be Friday 11 August 1967.

I and a couple of my friends decided that it would be interesting to check out "the city's first way out dance hall" and light show.
    so we made sure that we were in the proper frame of mind for the Summer of 1967 if you catch my drift, and headed into the city.

We didn't really care who was playing, it was someone whose name I'd read but had never heard.

After paying the $4.00 (?) cover we entered and wandered around a bit, checking out the other people and the lights and the vibe.

The first band was OK and we were sitting on the floor during changeover when I spied the crew
    setting up these incredible refrigerator sized amps which we ambled over to check out.

Marshall??? WTF? Never heard of them, but they sure are big and pretty...

That was only the first surprise of the evening.

Lights down, headline band hits the stage and it's three really strange looking people, especially the guy with the wild Afro and Stratocaster.

First song was "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and after a few seconds of the loudest playing
    I'd ever heard I looked back & forth at my slackjawed friends and we just rolled our eyes and grinned.

I realized right then that it was one of those "Everything after this is going to be different"
    moments that come along every now and then.

So, the first set ends, the sparse crowd floats back from wherever we were, and I decide to take a walk.

As I'm blundering around, I decide to see what's going on backstage, and since the gig is run by and for
    clueless hippies there's no security to speak of and I hop a corner of the stage and start roaming around.

I go breezing around a corner and who do I almost knock on their ass but Jimi himself...

I managed to start up a brief conversation in which he told me he'd been playing for
    only seven (7) years at the time (YIKES) and was thoroughly enjoying himself.

I'm amazed to this day that he'd take the time to shoot the breeze with a dumbfounded, saucer-eyed suburban kid,
    but it was probably before he became overwhelmed by the side-effects of greatness.

Back out front for the second set, and I've never been quite the same since...

9. 6stringelectric

6stringelectric Tele-Meister

I've seen a lot of really great shows, and outstanding musicians over the years.

But the one that really left the biggest impression on my was one New Year's Eve show I went to way back in the 70's. It was the Steve Miller Band, certainly not one of the greatest bands of all time but here's what impressed me -

They were scheduled to play until 1 AM, and sure enough at 1 they played their last song and left the stage.

As expected, they came back for the obligatory oncore - but when that was done Steve returned to the mic, and said "Do you mind if we play a while longer?" Then they proceeded to play for almost another two hours!

That says to me, here are some guys who really enjoy playing music, they are obviously not just in it for the $$$$$

10. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

For me it was the first concert I ever attended, in I believe what was 1976, I was 13 at the time. I was fortunate enough to have a friend whose dad was advertising manager at a local AM radio station (anybody in NC remember Big WAYS 61?) and this was the first of what would fortunately become the norm over the next couple of years: FREE CONCERT TICKETS! (Got to see a lot of classic bands over the years!) Anyway, I had spent the night with Steve, and his dad told us he had a surprise for us: Grand Funk Railroad tickets. Steve's older cousin took us and we ended up with very good seats near the front. I was absolutely mesmerized by the lights, instruments and gear. On stage were all these cool little blinking lights everywhere and these HUGE speaker cabinets! To this day, I can't remember who opened the show, but let me tell you: Mr. Mark Farner and the boys absolutely ROCKED! And very LOUD at that. I think my ears rang for the next 2 days. The moment Mr. Farner hit that first chord of the first song, I knew I couldn't live without a guitar. It took me a couple more years to get a guitar, but this was the life-changing event that started me on my lifelong obsession with the instrument.

I've been to literally hundreds of shows since then over the years probably, but this first one is still one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.

11. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen at Amarillo in 1974 during their "Tour From Hell."

12. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

U2 last night in the pouring rain.

13. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Van Morrison - St Davids Hall, Cardiff - about 1990/91.
    I think it was around 'Avalon Sunset', or 'Hymns to the Silence', or maybe even 'Enlightenment'. I forget.

He was on absolutely top form, had an astonishing band (superb musicians and a high quota of them happened to also be exquisite looking ladies - just by 'lucky chance' I'd guess, as I imagine that would not be a typical VM gimmick - the musicianship would come first).
    Van clearly enjoyed himself that evening, and man did it rub off.
    He did a number of encores, and basically the house lights had to be put on to stop him. VM not always so keen to encore. But he was just in-the-zone that night.

The whole evening had a mystical and magical vibe.
    Beautiful. I'd love to somehow sit through it again.

14. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

Springsteen..1981..when the Meadowlands arena opened,over four hours of non-stop rock n roll....went to see the Edgar Winter group at the old Felt forum at MSG...opening band,Frank Marino and Mahagony Rush..he was amazing,some of the best playing I ever saw..the crowd didn't want him to leave. We left half way through Winters set. Saw the Who when they did Quadrophenia back in the 90s at MSG..fabulous.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.