1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What length truss rod for Jaguar-scale neck build?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jman72, Apr 8, 2021.

1. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Hey everybody,

I'm building a Jaguar/Tele hybrid, but I'm gonna go with the 24" scale neck (I love the short scale). I was going to just buy a Jaguar neck from Allparts or Warmoth, but they're out of stock or weeks from production. So, I figured I'd use up some of the spare maple I have and just build me a custom neck.

Problem is, the standard truss rod lengths from the usual places seem to be about 18" for an electric guitar, and 14-15" for an acoustic. Measuring the neck of my Jagmaster (24" scale), it seems like the truss rod would need to be about 16-16.5" for this scale neck.

Has anyone out there built a Jag scale neck, and if so, where did you get the truss rod (and what length)? I saw a post from a couple years ago about this topic, and someone said they used the standard 18" rod, but that's not possible- it would literally hang out of the neck by 1.5 inches. I would like to use a dual action rod if possible, but I'll work with what I can get.

Thanks.

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

LMI and Bezdez on eBay

jman72 likes this.
  4. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

jman72 likes this.
  5. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

jman72 and guitarbuilder like this.
  6. guitarbuilder

crazydave911 and jman72 like this.
  7. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

8. guitarbuilder

I went bargain shopping in China and found out the hard way....they are like ric rods.

jman72 and crazydave911 like this.
  9. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

This is kind of off topic, but care to elaborate a bit about what you're looking to do? Like what kind of pickups are you going to use? Tele bridge or Jag trem? Switching? So many ways you could go on a Jag/Tele hybrid, I'd be interested to hear more about what you've got in mind. You've got my attention--I like short scale guitars too.

Hope you do a build thread with pics when the time comes. Good luck on the project. Sounds like a fun one.

jman72 and crazydave911 like this.
  10. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Good question. I have many guitars, but I have a piece of wood that was mine from childhood, so I want to turn it into an "heirloom" guitar that I want to be my #1. This will be my "everything I want" guitar.

I love the short scale of the Jag (my Jagmaster is my favorite guitar to play), but I love the tone/punch of a Tele. I had an Am. Standard Tele for years, and wanted to love it, but I could never bond with it because of the neck (too wide) and the thick poly finish.

So, I decided to build my own, but to put a little spin on it by creating a hybrid Jaguar/Tele body. I printed out a Tele and a Jaguar body template and "overlapped" them to get something in between. This is what I came up with:

TeleJag.jpg

It has the upper bout of a Tele and the lower of a Jag. It is about the same length as a Tele, but it has a slight offset shape that is part Jag. It's sort of like a Toronado, but not exactly. I like it because it is unique.

I have a crude mock-up of what I'm contemplating. I'm actually looking at building TWO- one solid body and one semi-hollow, maybe with a diamond or unique f-hole.

TeleJag3.jpg

The neck is the most critical part, so I want to get the truss rod length right.

11. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I just built one and it wasn't something I considered going in! But it worked out fine for me. The fretboard is about 18 inches and so is the truss rod. I made mine to adjust at the headstock. I think if I'd done heel adjust I would have had issues.

I did have a little more wiggle room though and could have moved the truss rod further back, but like I said I didn't consider it beforehand. Too used to making Strats and teles.

Lmii will make you a custom one to any length. I'd say 18 would work but anything less than 18 would be better.

20210410_114829.jpg 20210410_114817.jpg

Another mistake I made is I should have painted the whole tip of the truss rod. So now when I turn it there's bare metal. Doesn't bother me though.

13. guitarbuilder

Not really in this case, That one is total length, nut end to end of rod.

Total length is 17 1/4".

Fret 22 ends at[​IMG] 17.265" from the nut, so this will almost touch the nut, but miss it. If you do a 22+ end of the neck( like the allparts one) , the rod will end before the nut.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  14. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

So, if I do a headstock adjust truss rod installation (using the one you suggest above), I want to have the total length of the rod reach from the nut to basically the 22nd fret (or there about) in the heel?

15. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I use 17 1/4" rods but make mine heel adjust. From the heel the end of the rod is between the nut and the first fret. Marty, are you sure? I measure from the nut out 17 1/4" and it comes out to about the 20th.

In any case you should have your truss rod, neck blank and template so you can plan it out and measure it.

jman72 likes this.
  16. guitarbuilder

I guess asking about the rod is the only way to know if total length means total length. If it is 17.25 then measuring down from the nut 17.25 gets you almost to fret 22 according to the calculator at stewmac. The difference is .015" or basically 1/64".

Now, using a calculator, he said it is 440mm, and that is not 17 1/4". so I guess the reality is you have to decide what you want to do, a 21 fret neck or a 22 fret neck. One could make the neck a hair longer like a tele is at the end of it or, make it like the Allparts neck and cut the wood off at about fret 23. That would be at 17.643".

measurement.png

17.25.png

24.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.