What kind of work do you do?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cometazzi, Jul 4, 2021.

1. JohnsonNavinR

JohnsonNavinR TDPRI Member

Guitar Teacher, 25 years.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Among a hundred other things I’m a jack of locksmithing and nobody ever showed me how to calibrate a key cutter.
    Is there a method a hack can follow?
    This poor machine might just break if I mess with it but, uh, asking for a friend!

2DCEF3D9-E465-435E-93FB-D36761FFD011.jpeg 9E1F503E-3164-4C61-A9A7-8A6B9280580A.jpeg

3. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Tennis pro....maintenance at a Brewery, pipe fitter-welder, Heating and air conditioning 32 years (sales and management) now retired..I have played guitar since I was 13...I keep getting better but feel like a beginner

4. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Hahaha

5. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

26 years in pharma. Analytical development, metrology, I&C, manufacturing engineer, project engineer, computer system validation and compliance project manager.

I retired in 2012. These days, I clean bird crap off the porch at my cabin.

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm what @boris bubbanov would call his worst nightmare. I don't work, my wife does. I'm a kept man, and proud of it. I'm such a drain on society my brand of recliner isn't a La-Z-Boy, it's a "Hopeless [email protected]$$."

:twisted:

Kidding...sort of...I'm retired.

P Thought, Blue Bill, getbent and 3 others like this.
  7. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I've never seen an Ilco machine that old, but it's basically the same as the newer ones. The simplest way is to have a test lock, and a known key that works in the lock. Copy that key and see if the copy works, and then adjust the guide accordingly if it doesn't. The more accurate way is to use a micrometer to measure the depth of the cuts on the copy vs. the original. Of course you have to make sure that the original and the blank are both aligned in their vises using the swing down guide against the shoulder of both, so they both are sitting in the vice at the same place, and make sure that the blank doesn't slip as you are cutting it. 045-hd.jpg Here's a machine that cuts barrel keys and one that cuts "sidewinder" keys, with a channel in the key blank instead of teeth, like most newer car keys have
    ilc-tubular009b__1_2048x2048.jpg 057hs_10278304.jpg 4847801303129_6f0a87a4-139b-4cef-b678-3a91df377f21_1024x1024@2x.jpg

8. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Principle system engineer for a Meteorological & Environmental Monitoring company

SRHmusic likes this.
  9. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I work at a substance abuse rehab center. It pays the bills but that's about it. More importantly, I enjoy what I do. Even more importantly, my boss (a 60 something year old lady) occasionally dresses up in an inflatable penis costume and runs up and down the halls shooting silly string out the top. Even MORE important, she has a good sound system and blasts the Rolling Stones from her office almost daily.

10. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

On my third career now - and have never been happier!

Started out with a culinary arts degree and focused on the business side of the restaurant trade. Sick of 60 and 70 hour weeks - left to follow a dream, and went into commercial radio.

seventeen decent years later, tired of the low wages and abuse, I quit the radio business - thoroughly soured on it. Was a programmer, personality, and “brand manager” - great ratings and all of that, and walked away.

working in healthcare now - department of cardiovascular surgery - working in a gig that splits my time equally between the operating suite and the cardiac intensive care units.

there are 41 people in my department, and we’re unique…part anesthesiology, part surgical tech, part nursing, and part monitor and equipment tech - we also assist with liver transplant and to a much smaller extent, folks in my department also assist with organ collections from donors around a multi-state area. I don’t do the organ collections part - yet.

Obsessed and That Cal Webway like this.
  11. DougM

When I looked closer at your pic, that's actually mot that old! It's the same model as the pic I posted, excepted yours is all filthy, wasted and rusted, lol. It looks like you need a new blade, 'cause that one has broken teeth, and maybe new vises too, but the brush looks like it might be ok still, haha

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah it's owned by hotel maintenance, typical lack of care for tools & supplies.
    Still works though and it sure is handy to be able to copy keys in house after nitwit guests and housekeepers keep losing them.
    Most of what I do I use my own tools that stay in my vehicle, so I know where they are and that they actually work.

DougM likes this.
  13. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

11 pages in, and still no

"I'm well hung. You do the math."

That Cal Webway likes this.
  14. StuartJames

StuartJames Tele-Meister

I joined the Fire Brigade 15years ago at the same time as another member here , richiek65. I still love going to work!! I also have a window cleaning business on the side ( not the best job in the world )

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    That Cal Webway likes this.
  15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

a retired friend of mine claims the ability to piss up a rope, though I've never seen him do so.

16. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Retired early 2 1/2 years ago (before Covid). Used to be a Financial Examiner for the gubment. I got there with college degrees in business and accounting.

17. DougM

Your hotel still uses regular brass door keys? I thought they all used programmable card keys these days

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  18. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

I represent a sector of the construction industry.
    We lobby on behalf of the industry and try to get bureaucrats to change their mind (very occasionally, succeed).
    We also hold events and generally educate/inform members about stuff they need to know.
    Typical industry association stuff. Plenty of variety which suits my short attention span. I was lucky to fall into this in my 50s.

saltyseadog and trev333 like this.
  19. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

And I'm an American!

But I have been here for almost four years and have come to appreciate a few "French" things.

There are some people here that I have known for a while, see often, and chat with (while having a coffee or glass of wine at a cafe). I know their politics, their tastes in TV, film and other "cultural" things, all about their families (including the wastrel younger brother who has been a huge f*** up his entire life), and how many dogs they've owned before their current one, but I have no idea what they do, or did, for work, except in one case where the guy was a oil field technician and traveled all over the world. Even then he talks about the places he's visited, not what he did for the oil company.

20. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Work to live, don't live to work.

jman72 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.