What kind of work do you do?

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I started out as an assembler in Silicon Valley, at a PCB job shop. I graduated at that company from that position to being one of their best touch-up solderers in the section of the company that worked exclusively on work for IBM, fixing the boo-boos from the wave solder machine. I then became a tech in the test industry, specializing in burn-in, designing, building and maintaining the burn-in boards, calibrating and maintaining the ovens, and loading jobs in the ovens and setting the proper burn-in conditions for each job.
After coming to Hawaii, there really wasn't anything like that here, so I went into retail. I was the manager of a key shop for a decade, ordering key blanks, locks, home safes, keychains, and other lock and key related items, training the other employees how to select the right key blanks, and how to cut keys. I also adjusted and maintained the key cutting machines so they would be calibrated to copy a key correctly, so a customer wouldn't get a key that didn't work their lock. We also programmed transponder keys, before the auto companies decided they wanted their dealers to do it all, not any third party. After that I worked simultaneously at a major discount retail chain as a cashier, and at one of the premier guitar stores here. I retired from the guitar store a couple of years ago, after they moved to a location that was too hard for me to get to without a car. And now, because of the pandemic, I seem to be on permanent furlough from the discount chain, although I haven't officially been laid off or terminated. So, I now exist on my meager SS benefits.

Among a hundred other things I’m a jack of locksmithing and nobody ever showed me how to calibrate a key cutter.
Is there a method a hack can follow?
This poor machine might just break if I mess with it but, uh, asking for a friend!

2DCEF3D9-E465-435E-93FB-D36761FFD011.jpeg
9E1F503E-3164-4C61-A9A7-8A6B9280580A.jpeg

Poster Extraordinaire
26 years in pharma. Analytical development, metrology, I&C, manufacturing engineer, project engineer, computer system validation and compliance project manager.

I retired in 2012. These days, I clean bird crap off the porch at my cabin.

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
Among a hundred other things I’m a jack of locksmithing and nobody ever showed me how to calibrate a key cutter.
This poor machine might just break if I mess with it but, uh, asking for a friend!

View attachment 874708 View attachment 874709
I've never seen an Ilco machine that old, but it's basically the same as the newer ones. The simplest way is to have a test lock, and a known key that works in the lock. Copy that key and see if the copy works, and then adjust the guide accordingly if it doesn't. The more accurate way is to use a micrometer to measure the depth of the cuts on the copy vs. the original. Of course you have to make sure that the original and the blank are both aligned in their vises using the swing down guide against the shoulder of both, so they both are sitting in the vice at the same place, and make sure that the blank doesn't slip as you are cutting it.
045-hd.jpg
Here's a machine that cuts barrel keys and one that cuts "sidewinder" keys, with a channel in the key blank instead of teeth, like most newer car keys have
ilc-tubular009b__1_2048x2048.jpg
057hs_10278304.jpg
4847801303129_6f0a87a4-139b-4cef-b678-3a91df377f21_1024x1024@2x.jpg

gobi_grey

Tele-Afflicted
I work at a substance abuse rehab center. It pays the bills but that's about it. More importantly, I enjoy what I do. Even more importantly, my boss (a 60 something year old lady) occasionally dresses up in an inflatable penis costume and runs up and down the halls shooting silly string out the top. Even MORE important, she has a good sound system and blasts the Rolling Stones from her office almost daily.

graybeard65

Tele-Meister
On my third career now - and have never been happier!

Started out with a culinary arts degree and focused on the business side of the restaurant trade. Sick of 60 and 70 hour weeks - left to follow a dream, and went into commercial radio.

seventeen decent years later, tired of the low wages and abuse, I quit the radio business - thoroughly soured on it. Was a programmer, personality, and “brand manager” - great ratings and all of that, and walked away.

working in healthcare now - department of cardiovascular surgery - working in a gig that splits my time equally between the operating suite and the cardiac intensive care units.

there are 41 people in my department, and we’re unique…part anesthesiology, part surgical tech, part nursing, and part monitor and equipment tech - we also assist with liver transplant and to a much smaller extent, folks in my department also assist with organ collections from donors around a multi-state area. I don’t do the organ collections part - yet.

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire

View attachment 874708 View attachment 874709
When I looked closer at your pic, that's actually mot that old! It's the same model as the pic I posted, excepted yours is all filthy, wasted and rusted, lol. It looks like you need a new blade, 'cause that one has broken teeth, and maybe new vises too, but the brush looks like it might be ok still, haha

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
When I looked closer at your pic, that's actually mot that old! It's the same model as the pic I posted, excepted yours is all filthy, wasted and rusted, lol. It looks like you need a new blade, 'cause that one has broken teeth, and maybe new vises too, but the brush looks like it might be ok still, haha

Yeah it's owned by hotel maintenance, typical lack of care for tools & supplies.
Still works though and it sure is handy to be able to copy keys in house after nitwit guests and housekeepers keep losing them.
Most of what I do I use my own tools that stay in my vehicle, so I know where they are and that they actually work.

StuartJames

Tele-Meister
I joined the Fire Brigade 15years ago at the same time as another member here , richiek65. I still love going to work!! I also have a window cleaning business on the side ( not the best job in the world )

Last edited:

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted
You don't have to tell me what company you work for or anything, but what kind of work do you do, and what got you there?

I work for an ITAD, which is a fancy way of saying I supervise 16 people who repair and refurbish used IT equipment. However, I'm in the middle of middle age, and probably have the earning potential of someone who is half my age.

I'm just curious about what paths you all have taken, and where you've ended up.
Retired early 2 1/2 years ago (before Covid). Used to be a Financial Examiner for the gubment. I got there with college degrees in business and accounting.

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah it's owned by hotel maintenance, typical lack of care for tools & supplies.
Still works though and it sure is handy to be able to copy keys in house after nitwit guests and housekeepers keep losing them.
Most of what I do I use my own tools that stay in my vehicle, so I know where they are and that they actually work.
Your hotel still uses regular brass door keys? I thought they all used programmable card keys these days

goonie

Friend of Leo's
I represent a sector of the construction industry.
We lobby on behalf of the industry and try to get bureaucrats to change their mind (very occasionally, succeed).
We also hold events and generally educate/inform members about stuff they need to know.
Typical industry association stuff. Plenty of variety which suits my short attention span. I was lucky to fall into this in my 50s.

omahaaudio

Friend of Leo's
What a thoroughly French response.
And I'm an American!

But I have been here for almost four years and have come to appreciate a few "French" things.

There are some people here that I have known for a while, see often, and chat with (while having a coffee or glass of wine at a cafe). I know their politics, their tastes in TV, film and other "cultural" things, all about their families (including the wastrel younger brother who has been a huge f*** up his entire life), and how many dogs they've owned before their current one, but I have no idea what they do, or did, for work, except in one case where the guy was a oil field technician and traveled all over the world. Even then he talks about the places he's visited, not what he did for the oil company.