what kind of wood is this?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Cheap Trills, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Meister

I think it's a different wood than what the owner listed it as. thought someone here might be able to confirm --

s-l400.jpg

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’d guess it was alder.

Fiesta Red, 8barlouie, Hiker and 7 others like this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It could be ash, agathis or if that's a Japan Fender Sen. It could also if that's 90s Photoflame - a veneer over basswood.

coloradojeff and Cheap Trills like this.
  4. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

I'm with BdB... looks to be alder... and an early BBE-era G&L ASAT Special judging from the case and the non-gloss finish on the neck. BBE switched over to mainly using alder not long after taking ownership of G&L... as well as making heaps of other (cost cutting) changes... the ABS plastic case being just one of them. Some natural and sunburst finished guitars still had ash bodies and in rare cases perhaps maple ones. There are many transition guitars that were compiled using left over bodies and/or necks from the Leo-era which strictly used maple, ash, and on early models, mahogany.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Cheap Trills likes this.
  5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

no one can accurately tell with a "long shot" like that.. we need good quality close-ups of the raw wood, like in the neck pocket...

I can tell ya its NOT Swamp Ash..

R

Wally, Mr_Q and Cheap Trills like this.
  6. Cheap Trills

Thanks. The owner listed it as a maple body, but I am thinking it looks like alder as well-- but am no expert. I think it'sa mid 90's aSAT

brookdalebill and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  7. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

The slight flame to the figuring looks a bit like maple and the grain might be tighter than it looks in the pic. I’m with Ron that it’s tough with the long shot.

Look at some Ovation Vipers and you’ll see plenty of maple that could pass for alder or ash at a glance.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  8. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

When it comes to close grain hardwoods, once a finish like that is applied, it can be hard to differentiate between species like maple, alder, cherry...even tulip poplar. They can all mimic each other, depending on how things are finished. Ronkirn is correct that only careful examination of the raw wood will get you to a closer answer. Regardless of what that is "inside", it's a very attractive instrument based on that photo!

9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

and. . in the hands of a good guitarist, its gonna sound good enough that most others will want one just like it...

r

Mr_Q, jvin248 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  10. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

My first thought was maple.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Can't make the pic larger, cant see well enough. Could be Ash, Alder or maple..

12. 2 Headed Goat

I hear ya, its possible that its maple tho seeing how BBE used alder for the majority of the guitars in the mid 90's that would be my bet.

Here's an ASAT with a maple body - generally speaking the grain pattern is pretty tight.

https://reverb.com/item/22524175-vi...ctric-guitar-g-l-case-leo-headstock-signature

Here's an early 80's SB-2 Bass with a maple body as well (SC guitars and basses all had maple bodies) There's more figure in the grain pattern.

https://reverb.com/item/28346529-g-l-sb-2-bass-1983-sunburst

Here's a refin'd Broadcaster body which is also maple - more grain pattern on the back than the front tho it still doesn't look much like the one you posted a pic of.

By chance do you have any pics of the guitar? That might shine more light on things...

Attached Files:

Cheap Trills likes this.
  13. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Once again, will give this one to our best woodsman,,, Al Borland

ale.istotle and Cheap Trills like this.
  14. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

The weight would tell ya a bit more, no?

Cheap Trills likes this.
  15. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Right, actually, weight might tell you all you need to know as if it weighs a lot you may not care what kind of wood it is...

16. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I would assume alder, just knowing it's a G&L...however, G&L has at times used maple bodies (I believe Jerry Cantrell's famous '80s Rampage has a maple body, and at least some – maybe all of – his G&L signature models definitely do, even the lower end Tribute versions). That said, I don't think they did this often in the '90s, and it does look like it could be alder as well.

Grain aside, I think if you were to pick it up, you'd be able to tell right away. Every maple solid body I've ever held (maybe a half dozen) has felt noticeably "heavy." With alder, you don't come across a lot of "light" bodies, but maybe only 2 or 3 out of every 10 might feel what I would call "heavy" – and even then, not heavier than the maple guitars I've played. There are some lighter maples, but common sugar maple averages noticeably heavier than alder.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  18. Cheap Trills

Thank you for all this information! Really interesting to learn the history. Here's another picture I have which has a little better resolution --

1995asat2.jpg

BTW, the seller accepted my offer, so in a week I can take a picture of the neck pocket, play it, check the weight, etc... and hopefully we can solve this mystery. =)

I also somehow, in a fit of GAS madness, purchased a white 1986 ASAT... which should definitely be maple, so will be a good sound comparison. And I already own a 1986 Broadcaster to add to that comparison. Oh my, this all proves that I have a serious problem. What have I done? .. she's going to kill me when these guitars arrive one after the other on our doorstep. I need to think of an explanation...

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  19. 2 Headed Goat

Cool - actually, I'm thinking it may be maple. Comparing the grain pattern to that on the SB-2 bass, its not far off. Regardless, Congrats!

Wow, an blonde '86 - Choice! Got pics?? Yeah, G&L's tend to produce a bit on GAS ;)

Here's one I used to own - signed by Mr. Mel Tillis. Never pop'd the neck off... but it had an ash body and a rosewood fingerboard IMGP4484.JPG

IMGP4479.JPG

RiversQC and Jim_in_PA like this.
  20. Cheap Trills

nice! did you wear that thing down yourself? that guitar's seen things.

here's a picture from the listing -- Screenshot_20191001-141440~2.png

It hasnt arrived yet. I bought it off the guitar center used listings, then, a second later, the owner of the cherryburst asat accepted my offer. whoops!

2 Headed Goat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.