What kind of wood is this?

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Hi Unc. There are a few different kinds of Poplar. The kind they sell at lumber yards is Liriodendron, as Unc noted. It's never as pale as the wood in the OP photos, it has an olive green hue when fresh cut; eventually it turns brown. IME it's quite hard, similar to soft maple. I'm guessing that body is basswood. It could be some asian species that we, here in the states, aren't familiar with, .

All the poplar I've ever seen for sale is Liriodendron- it is usually greenish, but sapwood is sort of a dirty cream and some pieces (which I always sought out) are purplish to nearly black. Perhaps in some parts of the country true poplar is available, though I've never seen it. Poplar (tulipwood) is 540 on the Janka hardness scale; for comparison, hard maple is 1450 and cocobolo is 2960.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Too pale in appearance, IMO, to be alder. Could be Tulip-poplar, but it has really too much graining and character most likely. Tulip-poplar (all I ever fool with, I cut some down every day) is the one with those large, weird shaped leaves and flowers with some orange on them. the wood often has greenish or blackish stain to it, but figure is normally absent.

I'm thinking Peegoo is right. My first guess is Agathis - and my second would be basswood. I'm a little uncertain because agathis usually has some of this same salmon/gray tint to it. Though not as prominent as alder.

Collin D Plonker

Tele-Afflicted
Wow. Lots of options.

Can't be Basswood because it's a guitar, not a bass. Duh.

I've never seen it before so it can't be Popular.

Depending on the year, it could be Older.

Personally, I think it's Tonewood.