What kind of wood is this?

Mysterious

NEW MEMBER!
Japanese fender tele. TL-72 in neck heel.. very light. Also cannot easily make dings with fingernail so its not too soft. 35135CA0-BE62-4379-8268-32BD1FA0426B.jpeg 35135CA0-BE62-4379-8268-32BD1FA0426B.jpeg 35135CA0-BE62-4379-8268-32BD1FA0426B.jpeg

Attachments

• F187E5D3-BC8F-4F63-82AD-298A51402924.jpeg
    F187E5D3-BC8F-4F63-82AD-298A51402924.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 66
  • CF3B3BFD-A86B-4FF4-89CE-555EECCA00E5.jpeg
    CF3B3BFD-A86B-4FF4-89CE-555EECCA00E5.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 40402AF2-60FC-45FE-AB8C-6AA792086DB4.jpeg
    40402AF2-60FC-45FE-AB8C-6AA792086DB4.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 65

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
I'm definitely going with Poplar. Inexpensive because of it's look and softness but can produce some killer tones. I've mainly found it's at it's best when used as a Tele body.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Probably agathis.

Poplar is classified as a hardwood--because it's hard. Not as hard as maple, but harder than most pines.

Pressing a dent into poplar with a fingernail is not easy, so it could be poplar.

Agathis:

kuri_main.png

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Last edited:

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Might be alder, need a pic with it "wetted".
Could definitely be Poplar though, but Pop usually has more discoloration greenish areas.
I've ordered blocks of Basswood for carving and it's definitely not like what I received... which was softish and more open grain.
The routing looks like it broke out little pieces of material a lot of places... almost leads me to believe it's a type of Ash that is not showing much grain as white as it is. Wet it!

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If it’s Japanese production depending on the year it might be basswood or even Paulownia if it’s more recent. Both are softer and lighter than alder and common.

You can check if it’s basswood by resting it near the gear and see if starts trying to mess with the PA.
(Sunday bassist burn)

mountainhick

Tele-Meister
Edited, updated:

Annular ring porous grain as seen in neck pocket shots eliminates any wood without that specific trait It is not alder or poplar (or basswood)

this web page has an extensive section on porosity: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/hardwood-anatomy/

I am not very sure about agathis, I have not worked with it. There are many agathis subspecies, but the photos of Kauri end grain look nothing like that.

As for hardwood vs softwood and the fingernail test, the nomenclature is not representative of the actual hardness of the wood. I live in pine aspen forest and the aspen here which is a hardwood is physically much softer than the douglas fir which is a softwood. And if you look at wood hardness charts, you find that yew, a softwood is much harder than may hardwoods.

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Hardwood_vs_Softwood

I am perplexed that it is "Very light" but you can't dent it. Appearance wise pawlonia is a close match:

https://www.wood-database.com/paulownia/

I refinished a pawlonia strat, same kind of grain and lightness (Too light, the neck dives), but I could make a mark with fingernail.

Last edited:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I guess basswood because it was common in the MIJ's and looks about right.

I wouldn't call basswood "very light" though, more like medium to light weight.
How light is very?
Looks like 4 1/2 lbs from here!
AKA a little over 2000g!

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Probably agathis.

Poplar is classified as a hardwood--because it's hard. Not as hard as maple, but harder than most pines.

Pressing a dent into poplar with a fingernail is not easy, so it could be poplar.

Agathis:

kuri_main.png

Poplar (which is not actually from poplar trees, it comes from Liriodendron Tulipifera) is quite soft. The terms "hardwood" and "softwood" are misleading, softwood just means it's from a conifer. Softwood may be harder than hardwood- southern yellow pine is harder than "poplar".

Blue Bill

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Poplar (which is not actually from poplar trees, it comes from Liriodendron Tulipifera) is quite soft. The terms "hardwood" and "softwood" are misleading, softwood just means it's from a conifer. Softwood may be harder than hardwood- southern yellow pine is harder than "poplar".

Hi Unc. There are a few different kinds of Poplar. The kind they sell at lumber yards is Liriodendron, as Unc noted. It's never as pale as the wood in the OP photos, it has an olive green hue when fresh cut; eventually it turns brown. IME it's quite hard, similar to soft maple. I'm guessing that body is basswood. It could be some asian species that we, here in the states, aren't familiar with, .

netgear69

Friend of Leo's
Most of those Japan guitars Fender Tokai are Basswood
Nice scorch mark there getting the paint off it