What kind of Tele woild I want?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Dave Hicks, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

I had a 69 Thinline RI for a while, but sold it off. If I were to get another Tele, what would suit me?

What I liked about the Thinline
    Pickups were a pretty classic Tele sound

What I didn't like (this is the reason I ditched it)
    The neck
    Small (vintage) frets
    Fairly thick neck front to back
    Fairly narrow neck side to side
    Strongly radiused
    Very thick finish

What current model has classic-sounding pickups but has a neck without the features I listed?

D.H.

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

What price point are you looking at? There’s lots of variance in tele necks. Lots of chunkier necks out there. I’m not much into thin lines, but I doubt every one has the same style neck. You mention the radius was too round. Do you know what it was? I can’t deal with a 7.5 or. 16 radius, but 9.5 up to 12 is comfortable to me.

Dougie likes this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

69 Thinline RI had - I think - the 7.25 radius. Sounds like you want the 9.5 or 12.

So, a MIM standard would have the modern C neck, medium jumbo frets, and just a bit hot pickups.

Vintera 60s Modified will have the modern C neck, medium jumbo frets, and classic Tele sounds.

There are good choices out there. Those two come to mind.

4. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Good suggestions. The MIM standard is just a good, all around classic tele.

5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I loved the old Fender Highway One guitars. My HY1 Telecaster had best rolled neck of any Fender guitar that I’ve owned and big jumbo frets. Wish that I kept mine.

boris bubbanov and mkdaws32 like this.
  6. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

Fender American Highway One TEXAS

- Flatter 12 inch radius neck with TALL narrow frets. They are nearly as high as super jumbos just not as wide as a railroad track.
    - Swamp Ash my lightest is 6.75 lbs
    - Very thin satin acrylic lacquer, these come in two colors transparent blond and 2 tone burst.
    - 5 hole vintage pickguard. Below I installed a Fender (stay away from other aftermarket Bakelite guards) Bakelite pickguard replacing the factory white. Typically this requires a bit of sanding with a Dremel in the neck area of the guard for best fit.
    - Vintage tuners, I replace with Gotoh Vintage locking tuners.
    - The Texas is a bit rare they don't come up for sale that often so you may have to wait a few weeks to months for a choice specimen. Price typically $700-$900

Behold...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't kept up with FMIC Tele models in the last 11 years, let alone familiarized myself with their current models, so I can't help you there. In January of 2008, my son bought a (2007?) Hwy 1, and I really liked that Tele. So if you can find a Hwy 1, more power to you.

If I were in your shoes, knowing what I know now, I'd custom order what I wanted from Bob Logan of Logan Custom Guitars. You choose the specs you want, including the neck and pickups. If you're not familiar with Bob's work, this may sound like an extravagant option, but that's not necessarily the case. Bob's base prices are reasonable, and if you don't opt for features that cost more ( gold hardware, binding(s), B-Bender, a Bigsby, etc.), you can spec out a thinline for about a grand, the same price as the aforementioned Vintera 60s Modified. And unlike the Vintera, it will have been made in the USA (Delafield, Wisconsin).

8. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for your help. I was by Sweetwater yesterday and picked up a Vinterra with a rosewood board. The neck felt good (didn't plug it in, though).

D.H.

9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Hngd!

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Chicken dinner.

The O.P., based on what he said, doesn't want any of the MIMs. The old style Highway One Tele is close to perfect. Super similar pickup set, thinner neck finish, medium jumbo fretwire, 9.5 inch radius, .084 Modern C shape with a full 1.68 at the nut, neck width. Put some slightly slanted FMIC (from Darren Riley) brass saddles on there and a better jack prong (maybe some better tuning machines than the die casts) and you're set.

Whatever tuning machine you choose, it'll be better than those diamond shaped atrocities that '69 had. Now, to the process of finding one . Mid 2006 or older (look for spaghetti headstock script). I guess a newer Highway One might be your second choice (but the pickups are not good, and the frets are huge).

I hope you like the Vintera. If not........

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.