What Kind of Tele Do You Play?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Landodlovestele, Dec 26, 2015.

1. John Coloccia

John Coloccia TDPRI Member

'89 American Standard I bought new in high school...100% stock. I think I payed $500 from Sam Ash in White Plains, if that doesn't just make you sick.

2. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Tele-Meister

Mexi ash body, Baja neck, Gibson humbucker in the neck spot, Fralin stock in the bridge. Awesome frankentele! Otherwise, an American Deluxe refinished in Shoreline Gold and gutted electronically now having 51 Nocaster p'ups.

3. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

American Vintage 72 custom telecaster, I just love it she ìs my n°1

4. JustEd

JustEd Tele-Meister

I still love my Fender FSR BSB Tele with the reversed control plate and I'm also glad that I bought it when it was more affordable.

If I were to buy it today I would have either bought the Baja or the Nashville Tele.

5. Reverbious

Reverbious TDPRI Member

Transparent Blue FMT HH

For anyone who doesn't know the nomenclature:
    FMT= Flame Maple Top
    HH = dual humbuckers

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/showphoto.php/photo/34415/cat/521/limit/recent
    http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/showphoto.php/photo/34414/limit/recent

This guitar is made in Korea, but I like the build quality just fine. And I'm picky...I have many more expensive guitars but I don't find any issues with this one at all.

I have 21 guitars and this is my only Tele. I'm more a Gibson guy or a Strat guy, truth be told. But I don't ever see selling this guitar - it's really great with the mods I've made.

I picked this up on Craigslist for $345 (after selling the case that came with it - which I didn't like.)I put maybe another $350 in upgrades including a new (used) case.

Here's the mods I made:

1) Upgraded the tuners to Planet Waves Self Trimming Locking Tuners -- These are AWESOME Tuners and the perfect replacement tuner for this guitar. This is a highly recommended upgrade for this specific guitar model. The stock tuners on this guitar are a little different than what Fender normally uses -- they had 1 pin and a slightly different fit -- so putting Fender's locking tuners on was a not a good option -- would have required filling the single pin hole for each tuner, then redrilling for the 2 pin configuration. Once mounted, the Fender locking tuners also left the old mount holes exposed -- they were a different size body. They also don't make black to match the rest of the hardware. These PW's are black, and were a drop in replacement other than having to drill 1 pilot screw hole for the anti-rotation screw -- but they cover perfectly the existing pin holes. Tuning is ROCK SOLID, they look great, and the self trimming makes for super fast string changes - even faster than other locking tuners.
    http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/showphoto.php/photo/34416/limit/recent

2) I replaced the stock pickups with Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates 4 wire pickups. I think the newer models actually have pearly gates pickups but this older model in blue didn't. I love the Pearlies, especially when I play La Grange and want those pinch harmonics and squawking tones.
    http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/showphoto.php/photo/34412/limit/recent

3) I replaced the electronics - better switch, new pots. And Added a 2nd push pull pot. Stock this had 1 push pull for coil splitting. With my mods, I also have a phase reversal switch on the other pot. Pretty versatile for pulling different tones out. http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/showphoto.php/photo/34413/limit/recent

4) I added a Fender branded case equivalent to the SKB 66PRO. This is my favorite case for tele's and strats. I have 6 of them. They have great space for accessories, are light, have great latches -- very gig friendly! You can find these used on E-bay or just buy the SKB 66PRO. Not to be confused with the SKB 66 which is not the same.
    http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/showphoto.php/photo/34417/limit/recent

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  6. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Lately, a G&L Bluesboy and a Japanese Fender Custom reissue.

7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

-A recent Squire Standard body with a GFS '50s bridge pickup and coil tapped Dream 180 in the neck. The bridge pickup sounds great, but I'm questioning the wisdom of a humbucker in the neck position. I drilled the Squire bridge plate and mounted 3-barrel vintage style steel saddles from a '60s Classic. The neck is from my first guitar- an '80s MIJ Squier Bullet. It's a great neck, and over the years I've actually managed to wear down the poly in spots and make it look "relic-ed" (evidently, I play open "D" a lot). Oh, and the jack cup was loose so instead of spending $10 on an Electrosocket I just sunk a couple screws in it to hold it in place. It's a total Frankentele and I love it.

-I just acquired a Squier CV Custom on the cheap because a previous owner had pulled the pickups and installed ceramics from a Squier Standard. A few months earlier I wound up flipping a different CV Custom that I'd acquired in another trade that had Keystones in it. I know everyone raves about those pickups, but I didn't dig 'em at all. In frustration (and with Christmas approaching) I sold it off and made a tidy profit, but man, I missed that guitar. So now I have this one and a set of Nocasters inbound...

8. ThreeChorder

ThreeChorder Tele-Meister

2011 '52 Reissue.

9. VenomDennis

VenomDennis TDPRI Member

These are my three Teles.
    85 MIJ pink Paisley, 2016 Surf Green Limited Edition American Standard with all rosewood neck and a newer 50s roadworn in blonde
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. k.a.s.

k.a.s. TDPRI Member

Here is mine 2007 AVRI'52 Tele that I had bought in 2012.
    Killer guitar, love it very much :)

Attached Files:

11. flatpicker1966

flatpicker1966 Tele-Meister

So many nice guitars.Mine is a Nashville B Bender Tele.

12. cormorant

cormorant Tele-Meister

welcome

Hi and welcome. I am down to just one guitar now, partcaster with Musikraft neck. Why did it take me so long to discover the tele? All the guitar I need. Next project - build a valve amp.....

Attached Files:

13. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

'90's Fender MIJ 'JD' tele. Double bound top sunburst maple board, w stock strat p/u in neck position. Unique 5 way switching. Big neck, good build quality, great tone. Only mod is a 6 saddle bridge.

PaulHaa likes this.
  14. Norwegian Would

Norwegian Would TDPRI Member

Hi all, first post here. I've had this parts-o-caster for a number of years, coincidentally my only Tele-type guitar:

[​IMG]

The knobs are from a '67 Fender, if that counts... ;)

15. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

80's Schecter Clarence White Telecaster

100_2069A.jpg

qszhp1ib0idva9nl2ywh.jpg

16. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

My current telecaster is an obscure Vantek (Made by Vantage) brand tele copy made in either Japan or Korea. Since there are no markings and very little info on this brand I'd hazard it's from the early 1980's made in Korea. It's got a fairly light string thru body mated with a nice chunky D-shaped neck with what appear to be Alnico pickups in it. I had a look at the neck pickup and don't see a ceramic bar magnet under the pole pieces so I figure they are Alnico? They do produce a fairly "vintage" telecaster sound. I plan on upgrading the pots and wiring in the future but for now everything works and I am having fun with this one!

Attached Files:

17. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

I have a Tele from a NJ builder called a Pinelands Devilcaster. One piece one body, Wilde Bill Twin Blades, V to C chunky 10 radius neck, 3 brass saddles, slot tuners, no pickguard. I love it. [​IMG]

18. ThinLizzy73

ThinLizzy73 TDPRI Member

A 1997 California Series Fat Telecaster in CAR.

[​IMG]

Sorry about the bad lighting. I just got this guitar (used of course) and I was waiting to post a NGD until the return window closed. I have posted NGD threads and then returned the guitar in the past.

19. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

My "Teles" are actually two Peavey Reactors made in the early '90s. One is an AX model, which is completely stock except for a mini-toggle I installed to coil-tap the original DB2-T pickups. The other is a standard Reactor with GFS "Modern Vintage" humbuckers, also coil-tapped.

Currently the standard is my favored one. But that's just this week.

20. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I currently have two teles. Here's a (partial) family picture that includes my '09 MIM standard in LPB (swapped out the pickups for Mojotone '52 Clone PUs) and a Ron Kirn Barnbuster w/4-way switching. The MIM standard is what I invariably choose when playing out -- I'm a bit more cautious with the Kirn.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.