What kind of rectifier is this?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by erikgran, Aug 11, 2019.

1. erikgran

erikgran TDPRI Member

I wonder what kind of rectifier is in the Vingtor amp i recently bought. I suspect it's a selenium type, but honestly have no idea what this is and whats inside the aluminum housing. Anyone seen this kind of thing and know what it is? (Bottom to the right of the output transformer.)

2. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

That's a cap can, most likely

3. erikgran

erikgran TDPRI Member

OK, so I have a solid state rectifier by the transformer? Then things make more sense to me.
    Thanks a lot!

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If you understand the safety precautions and have some experience...
    Take a measurement for AC voltage on the lead for that black object that is connected to that multi section capacitor can. Take this measurement on the side away from the cap can. What do you see? If that black object is a diode acting as the r3ctifier, then you should see some fair amount of AC. If you don’t see AC, switch to DC and see if there is DC there??? If there is AC in the first test, then take a reading for DC voltage on the cap can connection on the other side of that black object. If you find DC, then that black object is a diode rectifier and it is working.
    Got a schematic?

5. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a selenium rectifier by the transformer and the fuse. If true, then it needs to be replaced with modern diodes.

Wally likes this.
  6. Mdmrse

Mdmrse NEW MEMBER!

Difficult to say from that angle. Are there any markings on the rectifier itself, like a number/letter code? If you can find that, I may be able to rustle up a data sheet for you.

7. Wally

Wyatt, I could see that now. Erik, if Wyatt is correct, then there will be DC both before and after that black component.

8. erikgran

erikgran TDPRI Member

Thanks guys, I'll try to do some measurements. Will clean the tube sockets and maybe try to clean the pots although I probably cant access the pots without desoldering and removing the shield over the pots. I prefer to keep it as original as possible, and not fix what's not bad. The amp has no noise, and sounds good. The obvious issue is no tremolo, but that should not be caused by the rectifier? I've not found schematics, and need to lift off the circuit board to see how the components are connected. I'm not sure that I will start with that though, Have found an amp tech a couple of hours from my place with a good reputation, so I'll probably let him service it.

9. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

We do NOT wait for selenium rectifiers to go bad. When they do go bad, they release dangerous, toxic fumes.

erikgran, D'tar and Wally like this.
  10. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Yep solid state rectifier...here's a shot from my Session 22 which also has a SS Rectifier:

IMG_4821.jpg

11. erikgran

erikgran TDPRI Member

I see your point, having read me up on the topic of selenium rectifiers ... :)

12. erikgran

erikgran TDPRI Member

One more thing about this topic. Having tested the amp a little more, I find it takes a fairly long time to heat up, and when turned off, it goes quiet almost immediately, not having the short period of giving sound when picking the guitar you expect as the caps releases their voltage.

Is this a sign of bad/leaking filter caps?

Erik

13. Wally

If that small tag inside the chassis is what it looks to be, that amp is 54 years old...25/11/65. All electrolytics are suspect. I don’t wonder about them at this point.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.