What kind of pickup works best for a lap steel?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Blue Bill, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I gotta run to band practice, I'll try to respond to everyone else asap. Thanks again!

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

My CC lap (6 string in C6) gets a lot of play when I'm doing country, Hawaiian, or western swing. Vintage Vibe has great versions for lap steel at just over a buck and they sound damn good to me.

crazydave911 and Blue Bill like this.
  3. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Mmm... You'll want a pre-war or wartime Rick pickup, like this one:
    [​IMG]
    Plug it into a Fender Princeton Reverb and you are D-O-N-E.

By the way, the Supro/Valco "strings-through" pickup sounds amazingly like a Tele:
    [​IMG]
    However, in the case of those two above, you can't have mine. [​IMG]

By the way, go visit the Steel Guitar Forum. A fellow over there sells Fender Champ kits that look great, HERE.

[​IMG]

Bob

Flaneur, crazydave911 and Mojohand40 like this.
  4. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I replaced the extremely microphonic pickups on my Goyatone lapsteel with GFS Lil Killer Humbucker Strat blade pickups. I used the 10K version in both positions. Nice fat full sound.

crazydave911 and Blue Bill like this.
  5. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I have a Supro like this one with the original string thru pickup that looks a lot like the Lollar knock off below.. Also a mid '50's Champ or Champion (has 6 strings, screw in legs and the pickup looks like a bigger tele neck with white plastic cover).
    Everybody is free to disagree but I think I can get pretty much the same sounds out of both of them depending on the amp settings.
    [​IMG]

6. AmpHandle

AmpHandle Tele-Meister

I don't think there is any wrong pickup you can use in a lap steel. Players skill determines everything.

7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Damn you Bill. There are two guitars that I haven't built yet, a carved archtop and a lap steel. I have built a couple of Weissenborns and a tricone and some other odds and ends of slide guitars, but a pure little sit on your lap steel guitar just hasn't come up on chart. Until now.

I've got a koa coffee table that someone gave me that is just the wrong size for a guitar body (and I don't want a uke) - maybe that would be a use for it. The Weissies are koa, might be a match.......

Anyway, just thinking and itching a bit - I'll be watching your thread.

crazydave911, Peegoo and Blue Bill like this.
  8. SlideGuy123

SlideGuy123 Tele-Meister

Lots of pickups can sound good for lap steel, but it depends on what sound you’re going for. I love Megan’s sound, but I don’t see a Rick panda in my future. My two main steels are the blue custom one in my avatar, which has a split single pickup (sounds like a single/p90 hybrid with no hum)and a 1964 Supro Jet Airliner with a string through. They both work for me, but they are definitely different. Both give me a full sound that works for the bluesy stuff we play. The Supro has more mids.

crazydave911 and Peegoo like this.
  9. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

Kent Armstrong Hot rails on my Morrell Pro 6 string lap steel is great!

crazydave911, SRBMusic and Mojohand40 like this.
  10. Blue Bill

Thanks Peegoo, that bridge setup looks awesome. As I said, I'm trying to figure a way to utilize the Tele bridge I already have. Considering your advice, maybe I can modify the bridge, replacing the six saddles with a single bar that spans all six strings, with a height adjustment screw on each end.

I've seen those removable nuts at Stew-Mac. I guess I would have to install a regular guitar nut for it to sit on top of???

BS huh? Hmmmmm. :lol: I looked it up, wow that even looks gorgeous, thanks Dan. I have a white pearloid fretboard I was going to use; this would match that, and fit right into the stock Tele bridge. Hmmmm.

Hi neighbor. Not slanted, hmmmm, the Tele bridge cut out is for sure slanted. I haven't thought about an amp yet. I figure I should first learn how to play the durn thing. Megan Lovells plays an old beat-up Rick on almost every video I've seen. I think I remember her playing a Dobro on one. I'm not trying to copy her, just see if I can get some music out of it. Plus, it seems like a fun project. I was wondering what color and finish to use. Someone on TDPRI recently posted a thread about a gold sparkle finish they did, it looked great. How about a sparkle-burst?

sparkleburst3.png

11. Blue Bill

Hi Amarillo, sounds like good advice, I don't even know what kind of lap player I may be, if any.

I am attracted to the idea of a humbucker with a coil tap, thanks for the suggestion. I also am considering the Fender Doubletap.

Thanks bottlenecker. I do like the idea of a single bar saddle. Is yours like this?:

Fender Champion LP1.jpg

crazydave911 and lathoto like this.
  12. Blue Bill

That Vintage Vibe CC looks sweet for $120, thanks cnibb.

Wow Bob, that's a nice pair. That Rick is just like the one ML plays. That kit looks great; boy that would sure save me some time and money, hmmmm. You guys have two, maybe I need two. GAS anyone?

Hi Mick, I saw that one while searching around. It sure looks the part.

True dat. Maybe I should just buy an off the rack one and spend more time learning to play. Hmmmm

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. Blue Bill

Sorry FK, GAS is contagious, and a mask won't help. :twisted: Koa would be sweet. Here's a pair of speakers i built, using koa frames and veneer:
    Jag2.jpg Jag3.jpg

Hi SG, Panda is a good nickname for those! As I've said, I won't know what sound I'm looking for, until I start trying to play. I like those Jet Airliners!

e - I checked his site; it looks like KA has a bunch of nice pups at good prices. I'll bet the Chaos humbucker would work also, thanks.

crazydave911 and telemnemonics like this.
  14. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Same model, yes.

Screenshot_20210210-054200-01.jpeg

Blue Bill and crazydave911 like this.
  15. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

crazydave911, Blue Bill and cnlbb like this.
  16. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have an Artec blade humbucker in mine. It sort of sounds halfway between a single coil and a humbucker. Sort of. ish. There's no hum, and there's plenty of high end bite but it ( thankfully ) lacks the screech the original Strat style ceramic could give. Through an angry Champ, it sounds great.
    lapsteel.JPG

Yes, my camera is borderline potato.

Tele295, crazydave911 and Blue Bill like this.
  17. Blue Bill

Thanks muscmp, nice collection! Someone did mention the sg forum, that will be a nice resource.

I like the National:

roboface.jpg national (1).jpg

Thanks VSG. I'll keep my eyes open fot the Artec, or one like it. I like the idea of being able to use the Tele bridge, without needing to cut it. A stacked humbucker, with a center tap may be the way to go, if such a thing exists. That steel of yours has a cool gunslinger vibe, very nice.

Arch Stanton, muscmp and crazydave911 like this.
  18. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

GFS has the Lil Killer Tele blade pickups in three values, I have the vintage 7k in my Tele, the modern 10k in my short scale Esquire and Strat Bass. The 15k I've never had use for. But they fit right in a Tele bridge ;)

Blue Bill likes this.
  19. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

I like these....

7845660_4a96c77f0a515612cae63e0324912bed_t.jpg
    Supro-tastic. :cool:

If you're looking for something to fit a Tele cavity, something hot-vintage would work- a good Broadcaster type would be my choice.

Blue Bill likes this.
  20. mrfitz98

mrfitz98 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have one of the mid-50's BR-9's with the P90 in it. Nice and smooth until I get it over halfway, then it screams. I tend to play more overdriven stuff with it, so it's perfect for me.

Blue Bill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.