What kind of microphones are you all using for vocals?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gmountain, Jul 4, 2017.

1. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had a really nice headset mic... no idea what happened to it. It was an EKG of some sort and cost a few bucks 15 years ago. After the band split and everything got shoved into storage mine got broken, misplaced, loaned out or something.

Prior to that we used SM57's and Audio Technical AT41C's which spec about the same as an SM57, I've been told.

2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Not trying to bust your balls, but if you're singing through a Peavey keyboard amp the microphone won't make a lot of difference.

RodeoTex and Modman68 like this.
  3. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

After years of using the SM58's I my girlfriend wanted to buy me nice mic. I got the Telefunken M-80. Great mic. I like it much better than the SM58. It's a brighter, more articulate version of my old EV PL80.

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

For 16 + years I used my Shure SM58 for vocals. I've still got it, but a year ago I bought myself a Fishman Loudbox Mini amp from Sweetwater, and got the "Songwriter Package," which came with a Sennheiser e835 mic. Since I had both mics, I A/B'ed them through the same Loudbox amp. There was actually more clarity with the Sennheiser. It's a little less forgiving than the Shure, meaning the Sennheiser picks up less from the sides than does the Shure. Both of these mics go for $100 new.

On the cheaper side, I have several Digital Reference brand vocal mics. The model # is DRV100. They go for $50, but a lot of times you can find them cheaper. Several years ago, I was in a duo with a guy that liked to ask people to sit in, and one by one the sit ins became members. I was the gear guy, so I had to get mics for them. But I didn't really mind, because I wanted to have some inexpensive backups anyway. So I went to the local GC thinking Shure SM48s.

But they had a sale going on three of the DRV100s for $30! I tried one in the store and it didn't sound too bad, so I pulled the trigger on the three mics for $10 apiece. One big downside to them, they don't suppress handling noise, so as a handheld mic they're not so good. So you need to put them on a mic stand, get them set and then leave them alone. But they were good enough for the pro bono thing we were doing. And I still have them as backups.

5. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Friend of Leo's

I got an SM58, and a cheaper Sennheiser mike that came bundled with a computer interface - interestingly I've been told the Sennheiser suits my voice better....

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I have only an SM58 at the moment, but would love to get my hands on a 55SH.

7. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Shure SM57 Beta. I also have a 58 but think the Beta 57 sounds crisper somehow.

8. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

The SM57 is tough to beat. You can probably find one used for $50 and I actually prefer it for vocals over the 58. Bonus is that it does double duty and sounds fantastic on guitar amps. Actually...make that triple duty because you can pound nails into wood with it and it still holds up!

9. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I have to admit - I HATE SM58s... They have something going on in the low mids that I immediately have to dial out every time I see one on stage (I work as a soundtech a few times a month); for me, they only work for rough, shouted, "rawking" voices in a very loud heavy rock setting. For anything more quiet (folk, jazz, etc), for anybody who can really sing (not shout), and esp. for female vocalists there are so many much better mic choices ou there these days!
    A personal favorite of mine is the AKG D5 - very affordable, yet one of the best sounding dynamic mics available; so crisp and clear, they really shine, love them.
    Another favorite is the Heil PR20 and 22 - a very natural sounding mic, slightly less feedback resistant than the D5 (but still more so than an SM58), but really great in a quiet environment.
    The Sennheiser E935 is also rather good.

Sollipsist, Jakedog, Tony474 and 2 others like this.
  10. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I used Shure SM58 for years.
    But since I listened to the Audio-Technica AE5400 condenser mic of our singer for the first time, I immediately changed to a condenser mic.
    I'm mainly doing background and only lead vocals on about 2 or 3 songs, so I didn't want to spent 415,- Euro on an Audio-Technica, but my Rode M2 condenser mic for hilariously bargain prize of 93,- Euro is IN EVERY WAY BETTER than the Shure SM58 I used.
    Dynamics, clarity, volume - the Shure is just no match to it.
    Maybe the Shure SM58 is just "industrial standard" because people are......lazy and follow the first advice from fellow musicians?
    Some people claim condensers to have more feedback sensitivity compared to dynamics, but I never noticed this with my mic. But then we usually play with rather low volume on stage, so it might be duifferent if you're up to higher volume?

Sollipsist, RomanS and Flaneur like this.
  11. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I agree with RomanS – I hate the SM58. Tough it may be, industry standard it may be, but it is a very old design with (for me) uninspiring frequency response and poor resistance to feedback. I've heard good things about a number of alternatives from Audix, Sennheiser, etc,, but in my personal experience my preference is for the EV N/D767A. Superb frequency response and very feedback-resistant. You probably still won't find one for $50, but buy cheap, buy twice. The N/D 967 is even better but disproportionately more expensive.

Within the Shure range I find the Beta 57A an acceptable vocal mic and decently feedback-resistant. I keep one as a backup.

12. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Mr Daltrey of the 'Oo discusses the SM58 here:

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  13. markjames

markjames Tele-Meister

SM58.....forever & always ;-)

thegeezer likes this.
  14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I won't use a cheap mic period because I value what I sound like and I would think any vocalist should. If you wouldn't use cheap bad sounding pickups in a guitar why isn't your voice just as important and deserving of quality OP? You'd be better off buying a good mic used than a cheap mic new. Shop around. Bargains can be found.

I'm another guy whose not a fan of an SM58 and it's proximity effect. I normally use an EV N/D767 I bought for $56 with two other lesser EVs thrown in in the bargain and an N/D478 I bought for $50. It's nearly new as well I also like Audix mics and have an OM-5.

15. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Just a little extra observation about the EV N/D767A (and presumably EV mics in general). I bought my first one used, not knowing its history, and after a long period of use the capsule failed. However, it seems they're guaranteed for ever, because the UK importers fitted a new capsule absolutely free of charge and it's been as good as gold ever since. Years and years and years... No other EV mic has given me a moment's trouble. I love 'em.

Jakedog and soulman969 like this.
  16. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

I gave a guy £30 for his SM57, about five years ago. It lives in a gig bag and is great for micing amps and resonator guitars, as well as my dodgy vocals. When I needed a second mic for the PA, I bought an SM58, without giving it too much thought. Probably for the same reason some folk buy certain brands of car- I don't understand the technology and like the reputation for reliability. I appreciate the more knowledgeable posts in this thread- that's just about all of you! I have to wonder if I'll ever wear out one of my current mics.......

I was doing a little recording at my mate's studio yesterday. He has spent most of his career working for the BBC and has lavished money on his home setup, as it's also his workplace. He uses Shure mics.

17. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Afflicted

I'm with everybody else. While I've used others in the past, it's still hard to beat an SM58. I think they can be had for a bit less than a hundred bucks these days.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned (and used) a Shure SM58 since ~1991, and it's still rocking really solidly. I've also used an SM57 for mic-ing amps since the mid-90's.

Having said that, I like the sound of the Shure Beta 58 significantly more--richer, fatter and clearer.

The main mic I've been using for the last four years is a Shure Super 55, which looks like the vintage "Elvis" mic, but with Beta 58 innards. The SM58 is now my backup, or used when the Super would look out of place on-stage.

None of these comments help you with your "under $50 budget" limitation...I occasionally see the Shure SM48 on sale in that range; those are pretty decent mics, especially for the money.

In studio/for recording, the I generally use a budget condensor MXL900 for vocals. Often, there will be a package sale that has a MXL991 instrument mic (also a condensor mic, good for recording secondary-pointed-at-the-fretboard acoustic guitar or overhead drum mic-ing). There are better out there, but considering my limited recording budget, this has done very well for us over at Shotgun Studios (aka the drummer's extra bedroom) located in beautiful central southern Arlington, Texas.

19. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

SM58

20. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I think EV mics are ugly, but I have a pile of microphones and some of my favorites are EV's.

Flyinlow likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.