1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What kind of Marshall tube combo amp is a good start?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Flat6Driver, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I don't know Marshall amps at all. But I think there's stuff that they do well, or people make them do well. It's all a mish-mash of letters and numbers to me. If you were to buy one combo amp (no stacks for this player!) for basement jamming what would be a good one to do the things a Marshall does well?

For comparison, I have a DRRI, a Blues Jr and one day I will buy an AC15 (or maybe an AC10). These are things I'm familiar with.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    naranja66 and Jakedog like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Origin, unless you are more into the high-gain thing, then maybe DSL? I dunno, i've not played the DSL

But if you want more JTM sounding, Origin

3. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The DSL40CR with the 6 button footswitch will get you a lot of Marshall for under $1,000.

Pixies2005, Maguchi, mkdaws32 and 6 others like this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

^What he said.

My guitar tech friend has a DSL...it’s a high-gain Marshall sound...I prefer JTM/Origin Marshall sounds, but I’d use a DSL if that was what’s available.

5. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

If cost is not an issue, I’d go for an 80s JCM 800 combo. They have a master volume so you can keep it relatively under control for basement playing.

JCM 800 is THE Marshall sound, IMO.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep. Origin for "Cleanish" Marshall. 20w if you are quiet/want more breakup. 50 if you are loud/want less.

DSL if you want higher gain/90s type sounds.

7. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Flat6Driver, it depends on the style of music you play, and what kind of tone and character you want from an amp. I'm a bit partial to the 18W and it's derivatives. They made them with Treble/Middle/Bass controls "TMB" or with tremolo "Trem". I build amps inspired by the JTM45/Fender tweed Bassman, and the 18W TMB, and they're both popular. The 18W I build is more flexible due to two different channels and a master volume control on the high-gain side.

8. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Yep! Got one earlier last year. Best purchase for a new amp I've ever made. I absolutely love the cleans as well as the dirt I get out of this amp! And I didn't change a thing in it... stock 100%

Maguchi, Flat6Driver and puddin like this.
  9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

For purely basement/at home playing?

If you want modern Marshall, DSL20. If you want vintage Marshall, Origin 20.

Both excellent at what they do, for very fair prices.

If you need/want a little more juice, DSL40 or Origin 50, respectively.

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

1974 (18W) or 1962 (Bluesbreaker). I pretend all other Marshall combos don't exist.

Jerry J, Maguchi, telejnky and 8 others like this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm a long term Marshall player, not into Vox or BF Fender, and I'm similarly confused by the "mish mash of letters and numbers" in current Marshall products.

As noted, a good starting point is defining what sort of Marshall sound you seek?
    I love the old pre 800 four input non MV Marshalls for both clean and dirty sound, but even in that narrow range of circuits there's big variation.

Now I use hand wired 18w variants, they deliver IMO the very best clean sound on the planet, and great dirt too.
    With all the hobby builders they can be had cheap too, plus stuff like H&K Tubemeister and some other non Marshall 18w based amps.

The 18w isn't the classic 50/100 sound though, if there even is such a thing.

DrewB, Jerry J, GreenMagicMan and 4 others like this.
  12. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Best-sounding Marshall I ever had was a 50-watt 2x12 JCM-800 combo. Unreliable as hell though. The third time it quit on me on a gig, down the road it went. Origin is great (& cheap) for old-school tones but doesn't really do 80's grind without a pedal in front of it, in my experience.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  13. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Thanks all. Now I have a lot of stuff to demo online. I never think as much of Marshall being clean. I associate it with gain .... and loud. My band mate had one and it was always too loud (but has such a presence). I never seen them turn up to the blues jams (Then again I haven't been in a while either).

I had a big time playing some older classic rock/metal (poorly) yesterday and thought this could give me more "ballz" and still be able to lift it.

M2roadwarrior and Telekarster like this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

In the interim, before you get your Marshall, I will say that there are some Marshall-In-A-Box pedals that sound really amazing when
    plugged into a good tube amp....with many of them designed to work really well through Fender tube amps. And I used to own an awesome Marshall JCM800.

I have an MI Audio Super Crunch Box, v2, that sounds killer. Also a Marshall Shredmaster (aka the Hyde channel in a Jekyll/Hyde) can produce some blistering tones.
    And a good RAT pedal can produce some very classic hair-band Marshall tones, IMO. And all of these can produce milder dirt tones that sound pretty killer if you just
    roll back the gain a bit. There are tons of other MIAB pedals, all with their passionate fans.

Last, if you are thinking Marshall I suggest that you give Orange a look, too. They are making some really amazing amps these days with a lot of overlap into the Marshall world,
    but with a slightly different take on it.

kookaburra and Jakedog like this.
  15. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

What's your budget?

kookaburra and Tim S like this.
  16. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

341F1494-9935-4A6A-8C7C-675E022F7384.jpeg This little 5w Marshall origin rocks, I prefer it to the ac10, sounds awesome at .5 watts as well as full blast at 5w

Oxidao, Maguchi, FortyEight and 3 others like this.
  17. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

My wife bought an Orange bass amp a couple of years ago and loves it! Really a lot a bang for the buck, at least with her bass amp anyway.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  18. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

If you’re looking for classic rock/metal tones I’d definitely recommend DSL. Probably the 40 as I think covers more of that ground more effectively, and still has good cleans.

The origins will do that stuff as well, but you’ll need a pedal. Or five.

A lot of the classic rock and metal was earlier Marshall amps, but cranked up impossibly loud by today’s standards, and still often goosed with a pedal.

IMO the “modern Marshall” high gain sound started with the channel switching JCM800 amps. Which I think kicked in around ‘84 or so. Then came the 900s, which I think are a little smoother and better sounding on the high gain channel. I’m thinking 4000 series. Wasn’t a fan of the SLX. The JCM2000 amps really took Marshall’s hi-gain sound to the next level. Especially the TSL amps.

Of course there were a lot of other models that floated in and out over the years, but these are the ones I think of when I think of the natural evolution of the “Marshall Sound” as it progressed out of the JMP era and into today’s hi-gain sounds. The current DSL amps do a really good job of hitting those 800 and 900 channel switching tones at a fair price, and a manageable weight.

Oxidao, Spooky88, mkdaws32 and 7 others like this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Listen to Jakedog, he knows his Marshalls. An open backed combo will always have a different feel on stage than a closed cabinet....but I prefer
    open backed, personally, at home as well. Better sound dispersion to the audience as well as on stage for the band.

mkdaws32, kookaburra and Jakedog like this.
  20. puddin

puddin Tele-Afflicted

DSL40CR..creamback 75..yummy..:lol:

Maguchi and mkdaws32 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.