What kind of loop switcher do you use?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Flat6Driver, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I was reading the thread about the dirt pedals and I was thinking about loop switchers. I have a couple of flavors of dirt pedals and other effects, but I wanted to see how people use loops. I play at home and occasionally a small performance where I need to set up quickly so I don't need or want a massive thing that has many loops.

My thinking (now) is that I would have my usual "tone" which might include an effect like Tremolo, but would want to add in more gain for a lead and perhaps dump out of the effects.

Anyhow, what are you using, how are you using it?

thanks

2. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

I use an A/B loop setup where either loop is always engaged. They are exclusive ie cannot be combined.

This gives me two channels of sorts.
    - channel one is mainly cleanish with delay and tremolo
    - channel two is mainly overdrive/distortion without delay - one of the distortion pedals has rhythm and lead modes...

Effects are
    - channel 1: compressor, Paul C - Tim, EHX Freeze, Empress Tremolo, Empress Superdelay
    - channel 2: Tech21 Double Drive, Moog MF Drive, Radial Tonebone Trimode with a cheap delay in the lead effects loop (only engaged when in lead mode).

And the way I use it I "program"/preset each loop with the effects I want to use for a certain song and switch between them. Sometimes I turn pedals on and off in one of the channels during a song as well.

In the band I play I usually play soundscapey stuff with delay in the verses and often power-poppy/punky distorted grind in choruses, something my two loops accomodate very well. Also the "programming" doesn't require any reading of manuals or scrolling through menus.

I am pretty happy with this setup. Or very happy actually...

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The Boss LS-2 is an awesome solution. Two loops (and actually three depending how you use it). At times I even had an EQ pedal in each loop along with different dirt pedals. You set up your song such that the only pedal you touch is the big LS-2 paddle switch. It even has separate level adjustments for each loop. Plus various other options. Super easy to use and set-up.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  4. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Disaster Area Designs DPC-8 EZ

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

One Control White Loop (A/B/Bypass unbuffered)and a Boss LS-2 (buffered) are main ones. Also have parallel loop blenders as well.

Obsessed likes this.
  6. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Boss MS-3

7. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Yes but how do you all have your stuff connected? How are you using them?

8. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

I have two drive pedals in the ms-3, the rest is inside the ms-3 as its also a multi effect switcher. I program it to do what i want.

You are maybe more interested in a traditional switcher unit.

I had one. It had 6 loops. I conected one pedal in each loop and used the switcher buttons to select the pedals i wanted to hear, it had no programing or other stuff. Oh well... it had a flip/flop function... wich meant one button press turned the other off and vice versa. Very handy.

9. Obsessed

With my LS-2, I used three dirt pedals. One for the loop bypass that you can have on or off for clean, then one dirt pedal for each of the two loops. This allows four different sounds for your set list. Plus, if you place an EQ pedal or boost pedal in one of the two loops, you can have that loop's dirt pedal off and use the LS-2 during a song for leads. The other loop can have a special effect like trem or chorus, so that loop can be used as a dedicated rhythm loop for certain songs in your set. With separate level adjustments for each loop, you can really have quite a few options that can be quickly changed between songs. What is really nice is that the pedal is tall, white with a few lights and that big Boss paddle with the Boss buffer to have near the front right corner of your board and should be the only pedal to touch during a song and sometimes the only pedal to touch between songs depending on your set list. It is a simple easy target while trying to do everything else on stage.

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Currently with the White Loop.....
    A. SIB Cuda (med hard rock crunch)
    B. VFE Pinball (bright jangly clean)
    Then a VFE White Horse>Kingsley Page setting after it.

Run in bypass that's my standard dry guitar>amp tone then eq comes on for a bright clean. Then I can kick on comp and/or tube boost and add to any of the 3 sounds coming out of white loop.

LS-2, 90% of time I'm running it in A+B to parallel mix delay and reverb. But there are all kinds of ways you can run it, it's a Swiss army knife of a pedal and also a very good buffer.

Obsessed and Flat6Driver like this.
  11. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Mooer Pedal Controller L6
    I'll do a review soon.

12. jomazq

jomazq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have three boss ls2 pedals that are really just a mixer for my sound. Blend a little clean into the dirt , a little dirt into the modulation, and a little modulation into the reverb.

FenderLover and Obsessed like this.
  13. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

DPC8-EZ on a board, everything connected to it. Can use in preset mode to instantly call up various combinations of the effects in the loops. It can also send midi program change messages to various multi effects and other things that have midi. Very compact and flexible. It has 8 loops. I like it quite a lot.
    There are more feature laden and fancy switchers out there, with higher price tags that reflect that fact, but Disaster Area Designs makes solid stuff that is quite functional.

14. Obsessed

Sweet set-up.

15. Obsessed

Wow. That is a cool idea. As DaveKS says, it is the "Swiss Army knife" of pedals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.