1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What kind of finish do I have?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by choosebronze, Nov 4, 2011.

1. choosebronze

choosebronze TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Hey guys, I have project guitar (it's not a Tele this time, but you guys are the most knowledgeable guitar people on the internet). I'm trying to refinish the body, and I see a lot of different methods online depending on the type of finish the guitar has. It's a cheap Chinese import guitar.

Problem is, I don't know what kind of finish it has. I'm wondering if there's some way I can tell? Like maybe if there's a chemical that will break down a certain type of finish, or something that will scratch one but not another. I don't know. I don't care about preserving the finish since the goal is to strip it.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

2. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

If it's a cheap Chinese import, then it's a poly finish. If you're still unsure, or for future reference, you can take a bit of acetone and put a drop on the finish (somewhere that's not in plain view, like under the pickguard, is preferable) and it will cause a reaction that will soften up the finish.

Removing poly finishes can be quite a task and generally most people would recommend using a heat gun to remove it. Sanding it will take a LONG time.

3. choosebronze

Yea, I'm definitely gonna try the heatgun method. If it doesn't go so well... at least I'm just ruining a crappy guitar. Thanks for the quick answer. Here goes nothing...

4. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

You can tell if it's nitrocellulose lacquer (and there's really very little chance that it is) by wetting a q-tip with, (are you with me?), lacquer thinner. Shellac (which you might find on old furniture or maybe a French polished classical guitar) will dissolve in alcohol. Nitro needs a little more help from a mixture of things including acetone that you'll find in lacquer thinner. Poly usually won't do anything with these chemicals, and in fact some poly finishes won't even soften with a paint stripper. It really doesn't matter if it's polyester, polyurethane, or catalyzed finish; if it's a poly finish your best bet for refinishing is (1) preferably, sell the body and buy another one that's the color you want, or (2) use a heat gun and a putty knife.

5. choosebronze

Thanks for the advice Vizcaster. I'm gonna go ahead and try to strip it. I bought this guitar for $20 on eBay, basically as a canvas to try out some of the things that I don't want to try on a guitar I actually like. Thanks for the help guys.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.