What Kind of Covers Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by vashondan, Dec 5, 2019.

1. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For an amp that pretty much stays at home what kind of cover, if any, do you use. In the past I've bought ones from places like Tuki (and they're great) but as I await a PRRI I'm wondering if the regular Fender cover for the amp is sufficient. I worry most about dampness living in the NW.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Unless you're storing the amp in a sealed container with silica gel packs, ambient humidity will permeate it--no matter whether you use a $200 custom amp cover or the Fender cover. I wouldn't worry about it. Mobile AL gets way more rain than the PNW and nobody down there is taking extreme measures to protect their amps from humidity.

If you're storing your stuff in a damp basement, that's a whole 'nuther thing, and that is a no-no for any electronics in general.

For an amp that stays at home, all you need is a dust cover. You can even make your own. A sewing machine is like any other power tool: once you learn how to operate one, you can make all sorts of cool things...like a hat, or a brooch, or a pterodactyl Awwk! Awwk!

Owenmoney, Snfoilhat and nojazzhere like this.
  3. vashondan

Notwithstanding the sewing machine point you're probably right. i have had tools stored in a plastic container rust on me. They were cheap tools though.

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Down here in Schizophrenic Weather Texas (Hot-Dry-Cold-Wet-Humid-Arid, all in one week), I’ve used a simple Fender cover for 20+ years with no ill effects.

kuvash, nojazzhere and vashondan like this.
  5. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Commando, baby!

An amp with a cover isn't getting played enough.

Moisture? Dampness? Hot tubes take care of that.

6. vashondan

In my defense i only cover them when I'm done for the evening. I tuck them in so to speak :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  7. Cam

Cam Tele-Afflicted

8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

D2F are nice covers, I prefer Studio Slips covers but they are a few more dollars. For an amp that stays home you shouldn't need anything more than a factory dust cover or an old t-shirt.

vashondan likes this.
  9. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Suit yourself. Some prefer lingerie. Some like naked.

:D :D :D

rangercaster and vashondan like this.
  10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Never kept an amp covered. I even got a cover with my SCXD; don't even know what happened to it.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I generally used covers when I took an amp out. Helps protect from bumps and scrapes when transporting. Of course when I bring them home, they often stay in the cover when stored unless I take it out to play.
    I was very blessed for many years because my mother was a talented seamstress. I would get material and cut it for size, then she would sew the seams for me. Usually used heavy vinyl....once used a Jeep convertible top that wasn't needed. Most of my current amps don't have covers, so I don't use them anymore.

12. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sadly the owner of D2F (Tom Palmer) died a couple of years ago and the business no longer exists.

That being said, I'm of the school of thought that an amp that stays at home doesn't need a cover. I cover them to keep them from getting scuffed up in transit but that's it.

kuvash likes this.
  13. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

If you have a tweed amp and a cat (or cats), a cover is probably a good idea. If you know what I'm saying.

Hell, even is it's a Tolex-covered amp you should have a cover. I cannot count the number of amps I've worked on that a cat has pissed in at some point in its lifetime.

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

T-shirts from festivals, but only if they have MY damn name on them!

15. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I never covered my amps until I got a Vox AV60, which has the tube grates on the top of the amp. I cover it to keep dust out of it. I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe cover on it, BTW... Fits perfectly.

16. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry to hear that.
    In Arizona it's dusty and I like to keep covers on them when I can. anything that goes to gigs has a padded cover.

John Owen and vashondan like this.
  17. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

For home use, I just put a towel over it when not in use. It keeps the dust off, (and keeps dust out of the pots). it comes off in seconds, and is really easy to launder, and put back over the amp. I've been doing this for many years, and my amps always look almost new, because the tolex and control layout are always clean.

vashondan likes this.
  18. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

The stock Fender cover suits me fine. My PRRI and DRRI get bumped around my shop and church with short rides on a hand truck. The cover keeps the dust off them when I'm not playing and protects the tolex from scuffs during transport. They're not padded but coated and deflect spills and splashes well enough. I think you're going to love the PRRI BTW.

vashondan likes this.
  19. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Regular plain old stock Fender covers since the ‘60s.

vashondan likes this.
  20. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I make my own but I have an upholstery business thus the materials and equipment. Besides dust, there are other issues, like cats that think grill cloth is a scratching post, and little kids, when my boys were small they put a bunch of small round LEGO bits in the input jacks of my Deluxe Reverb, good thing it was plastic!
    I only found out when I pulled the chassis later.
    I would never store an amp in a damp environment, cover or not.
    To answer the OP question, most any cover should work for your needs.

Tim S likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.