• #2 or #3 Depending On Forecast

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Play Guitar While Hired Help Deals With It

Votes: 9 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
I actually went out as soon as it stopped this morn here in nj, and it was one of the most pleasant snow removal experiences of my life . Light as a feather . Just pushed it all away with a hand shovel. Like a plow. Now last year , before I quit drinking, I would have been hungover and waited till it was frozen , and impossible to move. So I got that going for me

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
We have a pretty large driveway and parking space. We start with a light nimble single stage gas engine snow blower. Gets in tight spots. Blow it away from structures. Then i fire up my Polaris ATV with a plow. I blade it all into big piles. Then the 11HP 30” wide 2 stage blower comes out. The “fat lady sings” and throws the large piles well out of my driveway.

Yea 3 powered snow tools. They all earn their keep. No point in screwing around with inadequate snow removal tools up here in Canada. If you have a big driveway. Ideally I’d like to get a small skid steer.

870BF29A-5BCF-4E97-8133-2511B761102A.jpeg

Last edited:

ScottTunes

Tele-Meister
...didn't read the whole thread...

However, I spent 40+ years of my life, working against winters in Chicago & Cleveland... Very happy to say, I finally gave up, and moved to the west coast. I haven't shoveled snow in almost as many years as I had to!! I DON'T miss it at all!!!

Someone has to do it! Better you (or anyone else) than me! Hahaha!!!

Cheers!

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
My plan is to avoid ever having to shovel snow in the first place :)

I remember in my youth snow that was deeper than I was tall in Boulder, CO.
I also recall missing nearly a month of school due to snow that just wouldn't stop in Blacksburg, VA....had to make it up during summer :mad:

Where we live now, we "may" get one good snow a year and it is usually gone in a day or two. I like it that way ;)

20160123_142453256_iOS.jpg

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Personally, I'm a combination of 2 and 3 depending on how much is forecast. Either way every walkway, the patio and the driveway have to be spotless before leaving. Can't stand having it compacted and turned to ice.
It's when the snow falls that I'm thankful that we live in a very typical, early 1900's semi-detached house, with a "postage stamp" sized yard. The walkway from the front door to the curb is about three feet wide, and about fifteen feet long, and about fifteen feet of sidewalk we're responsible for.

The back yard isn't much different. About fifteen feet from the sliding glass door to the garage. The back porch is covered, so minimal snow shovelling there. There's about six steps to shovel, and then on to the back patio. The backyard is totally paved in cobble stones, and the dog run is covered in pavers, so shovelling is a breeze. I cut a swath to garage, and then to the dog run, clean it out so as to get to the back gate. I don't worry about the back alley in front of the garage unless we really get a dump.

We haven't had a lot of snow in TO this winter. Two hours north of Lake Ontario, it's different story. There's basically nothing on the ground right now, though we might get a couple of centimetres today, and likely rain tomorrow.

The worst part about the back yard and snow through the winter, is that the dog seems to get the idea that she can crap anywhere and everywhere. The spring, when the snow finally clears, is always full of surprises.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
Before I retired, I was on a project at work that required me to be in White Bear Lake MN. all of January, and a bit of February. I don't see how they do it. Minnesotans are hardy people, God bless 'em. I have always lived in the South my entire life, so my snow removal strategy is the removal of myself from any area that experiences regular snowfall!

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

I wait until it seems done (verify with radar) and use the tractor and blade.
There is a window between the snow ending and the really cold air rolling in (because the snow was consuming that cold) where the snow is easier to move and less ice. So that is the time I aim for.

I have a long and wide driveway that I used to use a two-stage self-propelled blower but the tractor is a huge improvement. 1950s Ferguson.

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
I walk my two dogs on a daily 2 1/2 mile walk year 'round. Haven't missed a day since I retired 14 years ago. You could fairly well tell the age of the home owners along the way just by seeing which sidewalks and driveways have been cleared. Almost without fail those over 50 have them cleared, younger than that very rarely cleared. Sadly, the younger the occupants, the less likely to have cleared them. The older the occupants (like 70-80) nearly always have them cleared. Most of the younger ones leave it there until it melts (which around here could be spring).

It is not due to those working or not. No one works seven days a week 24 hours a day, and they are never cleared. Many of the older ones also work and are likely in not nearly as good physical condition as the younger ones.

Cam

Friend of Leo's
We don't need no stinkin' gym, we have , snow, shovels and non powered drive blower for the excessive snow days. Roof rake to clear the roof edge before the rare above 0°C (32F) days and prevent ice dams. Sweat up, pulse up. 30 to 90 min or more is a good calorie burn.

Last edited:

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Personally, I'm a combination of 2 and 3 depending on how much is forecast. Either way every walkway, the patio and the driveway have to be spotless before leaving. Can't stand having it compacted and turned to ice.
Fortunately I've been lucky enough that spring has returned every single year. I hate winter and other than it looking pretty when it falls also hate the stupid stupid snow.

My plan for the last few years is to always have good snow tires and a vehicle that can make it though the junk the plow leaves at the end of the driveway. I sand/salt where we walk and spend as much time as possible inside.

I should also say that decades of factory work has basically ruined my shoulders and in the last few years shoveling just hurts so much I try to avoid it as much as possible. 1 hour of pushing snow can hurt for days.

Jerry J

Friend of Leo's
We get so few major snowstorms in the Mid-Atlantic recently, it hasn't been a worry. This week is different. Luckily all 3 sons are home from winterbreak at their respective colleges. Each over 6' tall and strapping young men. I get to supervise from the living room.

As for snow - I love it when the conditions are right, like they were Monday, when is cold enough not to have a mix. DC can be really pretty after a snow. And with WFH, I don't have to worry about getting anywhere!

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve changed my strategy. I got rid of the snow yesterday. I followed my cardiologist’s instructions and divided the job and rested between sections. I used the snow blower and avoided shoveling. I’m tired today and my shoulders hurt bad. My right one especially. Really bad.

This is a problem that solves itself. The snow will be gone by April whether I blow it out or not. Heck. It’ll probably be gone by NEXT Saturday. Why am I killing myself.

oatsoda

Tele-Holic
First, an AWD vehicle with quality snow tires. Then ignore the snow on the driveway unless it builds up more than 8 or 10 inches. Any dump heavier than that, time for the snowblower.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My wife is my snow-clearing strategy. I'm 72 and she thinks I'm too old for snow shoveling but I do get out and do the sidewalk in front of the house. She does the driveway.
We don't get a lot of snow; think North Dakota.