Votes: 9 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

orangeblossom

Friend of Leo's
Bring it on… 5F182F7E-C5E8-42C1-8249-0FF2A218D824.png

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Personally, I'm a combination of 2 and 3 depending on how much is forecast. Either way every walkway, the patio and the driveway have to be spotless before leaving. Can't stand having it compacted and turned to ice.
I'm 3. Get it cleared after about a foot or so, even if it's still coming down. This prevents it from compacting and turning into ice if we get freezing rain after. A few neighbors and I went in on a good snowblower and take turns clearing the walkway/driveway, but I don't wait for it. I'll get out and shovel. Then after all of that, the city street plower comes by and shoves all the snow back in front of our driveway, and we begin again. Woohoo.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
For the last 7 years that we lived in Wisconsin our snow removal strategy was to pay our landscape guy $25 to plow the driveway any time that we got more than two inches of snow. Anything less than two inches was no big deal, and we could choose either to shovel it or let it melt. It usually would melt. I can't tell you exactly how much we paid the guy to plow for seven years, but it definitely was much less than the cost of a decent snowblower.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
With a 112’ driveway at a 20’ elevation any snow or ice would make leaving or returning impossible.
Luckily I don’t have to worry about it

John Owen

Friend of Leo's
I grew up where snow was a pretty regular thing. The rule around my house was that my brother and I got up early before school on snow days and thoroughly shoveled the sidewalk in front of our house and in front of the house of the elderly couple next door. That included the walk between the front door and the main sidewalk, as well as, front steps and porch for both houses. The same routine was repeated after school and on weekends as needed. When I was a kid I thought of it as just something my evil parents required. When I got to be an adult and saw a terrified little old lady trying to navigate a sidewalk covered with lumpy frozen snow, it finally occurred to my why my evil parents were always so insistent about the task.
I now live in a place where snow is somewhat novel but, when it does snow, I'm one of the few folks on the block who is keeping the sidewalk in front of my house (and in front of the houses on either side of me) clear. It's still pretty terrifying for the little old ladies trying to get around on the uncleared sidewalks.

johnnylaw

Friend of Leo's
Best results consistently occur when I call in sick, go skiing all day, and deal with the mess later.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'm 3. Get it cleared after about a foot or so, even if it's still coming down. This prevents it from compacting and turning into ice if we get freezing rain after. A few neighbors and I went in on a good snowblower and take turns clearing the walkway/driveway, but I don't wait for it. I'll get out and shovel. Then after all of that, the city street plower comes by and shoves all the snow back in front of our driveway, and we begin again. Woohoo.
Same stuff here except if freezing rain is coming toward the end of the snowfall I leave the snow and let the ice sit on top.
Snowblowing compacted heavy wet snow sucks but clearing the snow then getting a sheet of ice on the cleared driveway is way worse!
Depends on square footage and how many tons of ice melt I have on hand too.
Bought a 35lb bucket but then we got an ice melt shortage here for the better part of a very icy week.

As for the town plowing schedule, they have a funny habit of clearing the middle of the road during storms, then after I clear my driveway they come back and plow the road WIDER, so they fill me back in.
Plus they plow or blow the sidewalk and I have to clear that, unless it was one of the sharper tacks who directs the chute away from cleared drives.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
We very rarely get more than 3-5cm here, especially in the last 5 years or so, and then it tends to melt pretty quickly in our neighborhood (especially on the sunny side of the street where we are): we don't get the low temps and the precipitation on the same days usually. Lot of bright sunny cold days in winter here!

We had about 8cm the day after Christmas and I dragged the boy out just to get him away from his computer screen for a while, and we used a broom and a square-nose shovel to do our half of the road fronting the house, but nobody else did anything and it was pretty much melted by the next day.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
we had 4-6" of rain over the last 24 hrs... and it all run off...it looks the same outside and it's as warm as toast.

they say one inch of rain equates to 10" of snow... 40"- 60" of snow...

I couldn't imagine that much frozen water just sitting around getting in your way.... and the associated costs to keep you warm/mobile....

There aren't a lot of over manicured yards/lawns, in sight around here... folks are tidy without being obsessive..;)

bluesfordan

Friend of Leo's
Personally, I'm a combination of 2 and 3 depending on how much is forecast. Either way every walkway, the patio and the driveway have to be spotless before leaving. Can't stand having it compacted and turned to ice.

at the old house, even when we had a plow service, I always cleared the driveway to the asphalt. I hated when people walked on the driveway, never mind drive on the snow. I prided myself on having not just a clear driveway but a bone dry driveway 24 hours or less after the snow. I'm also a combination of #2 and #3. I was fortunate that the driveway had been paved just before I returned to the house in '88 and I kept it in immaculate condition, except for one single crack that went all the way across.

The new house's driveway has multiple cracks, and about 3 different sections of varying age. I may see if I can't get a job for a while until I make enough money to pay to have it ripped out, regraded and paved into a single smooth pad. My brother isn't as fanatical about clearing as I am so I doubt if he'll want to spend on it but I'm the one who's going to be shoveling the damn thing. Frankly, if it were up to me, I'd pave the entire lot

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
at the old house, even when we had a plow service, I always cleared the driveway to the asphalt. I hated when people walked on the driveway, never mind drive on the snow. I prided myself on having not just a clear driveway but a bone dry driveway 24 hours or less after the snow. I'm also a combination of #2 and #3. I was fortunate that the driveway had been paved just before I returned to the house in '88 and I kept it in immaculate condition, except for one single crack that went all the way across.

The new house's driveway has multiple cracks, and about 3 different sections of varying age. I may see if I can't get a job for a while until I make enough money to pay to have it ripped out, regraded and paved into a single smooth pad. My brother isn't as fanatical about clearing as I am so I doubt if he'll want to spend on it but I'm the one who's going to be shoveling the damn thing. Frankly, if it were up to me, I'd pave the entire lot
We had nice sunshine after the snow and plenty of wind, driveway and walkways are completely dry, truck is completely clean of snow(wife gets the garage), 90% 0f my neighbors haven't even started yet and now it's dark and everything is frozen solid. I guess they are waiting for the rain on Sunday, but I can't do it like that.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Same stuff here except if freezing rain is coming toward the end of the snowfall I leave the snow and let the ice sit on top.
Snowblowing compacted heavy wet snow sucks but clearing the snow then getting a sheet of ice on the cleared driveway is way worse!
Depends on square footage and how many tons of ice melt I have on hand too.
Bought a 35lb bucket but then we got an ice melt shortage here for the better part of a very icy week.

As for the town plowing schedule, they have a funny habit of clearing the middle of the road during storms, then after I clear my driveway they come back and plow the road WIDER, so they fill me back in.
Plus they plow or blow the sidewalk and I have to clear that, unless it was one of the sharper tacks who directs the chute away from cleared drives.
They built a 4' wall the other day and I had to redo it. Then I left for like 20 min on an errand, came back and I was blocked out of my driveway, which was a first. I sense they get a morbid pleasure out of undoing everything we're doing. I probably would. Lol. And we can't really complain because they are clearing all of us who live on secondary roads.

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Hey @Chuckster, I had to get a new snowblower a couple years ago. It's amazing how much easier it is to start and operate than the old beast was!
You got that right, brother. The old one served me well, but it is a monster.

During a storm a few years back, I took it down a slight incline in my yard (don't ask), wheels slipped, and the canopy frame hit me on the crown of my head.

When I came to, my neighbor was standing over me. No idea how long I was out, but that sucker was still running.

Old vs new:
C57A9523-.jpg
20211125_120652.jpg

ozcal

Tele-Afflicted
you missed an option...

option 6 - florida man says 'snow is stoopid'

seriously... i live in snow country... 2/3... just put down the shovel... picked up a cold one..