• #2 or #3 Depending On Forecast

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Play Guitar While Hired Help Deals With It

Votes: 9 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Not really had snow that needed serious clearing here since 1963. I was 9 and loved it for a while but, eventually, the novelty wore off. I now suspect that climate change has resulted in fewer occasions where everything combines to give rise to snow.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Combo of 3 and 4, depending on how bad it is. If it is alot of snow, will try to make sure I can get the cars (well, the truck at least) out.

Glen W

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Just got in. Option 2 or 3, depending on forecast. Got about 10-12" today and just finished the driveway and (our) front walk, picked up the plowed-over trash & recycle cans and shoveled access to the mailbox. Next will be the deck for the dogs.

Then - I get to clear off 120 ft of new 48" wide (town-installed) sidewalk for the first time. Either they'll find me face-down in the snow, or maybe my 24" Ariens will become a walker of sorts.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It all depends on the forecast. If it’s only gonna be a light one, I’ll just leave it. If it’s only gonna be a couple inches, I’ll wait til it’s done and then clear it. If it’s gonna dump for three damned days, I’ll clear it at intervals. It’s easier for me to clear three inches four times, than a foot once.

If it gets really stupid and pounds so hard and fast that I wake up and “there’s just no freaking way”, I time my appearance with a shovel to coincide with one or more of my neighbors wrapping theirs up. They all own big snowblowers. If they see me trying to tackle a 16” deep mess, they roll right over and dive in with the machines. I then share beers and baked goods. Everyone is happy.

Last edited:

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I sent a message to my cardiologist this morning at 10:10 through the Mount Sinai portal and had a reply less than an hour later.

Snow blower ok.
Do not shovel.
Avoid getting chilled.
Limit activity to 30 minute stints.
Stop at the first sign of discomfort.

My wife, the enforcer, stood on the porch and watched. She had follow up breast surgery yesterday. Her activities are still restricted.

I’m a little more than half finished. I’ll go back out at 1.

tery

Doctor of Teleocity
It usually melts here in 2 or 3 days but sometimes I will sweep it off my steps.

KC

Friend of Leo's
Spent yesterday digging out a path from my carport to the alley -- only 8-10 inches but I live at the mouth of Hellgate canyon so the wind blows it around some. There was a 2-foot berm behind my car which I removed by hand. It has been snowing for 3 days now -- another couple of inches last night -- so I'll have to get after it in a minute. Usually I try to wait for the snow to end, or at least the wind I hate shoveling the same snow twice! But we don't usually have more than a couple of big snow events a year.

glenlivet

Tele-Afflicted
I'm a 2-3 kind of guy.... gotta keep on it.... it's easy to get lazy, and wind up with a bigger problem then snow (like a ton of ice underneath that snow you were to lazy to shovel). Also...if you keep cement / sidewalks clear, even a small amount of sun can warm up the cement and cause a lot of stuff to melt away.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Most of my adult life I lived in states (NY,NJ,CO) that needed shoveling. Never owned a snowblower though. At age 55 my company moved us to Florida. We're talking about moving to Delaware to be closer to relatives in NJ and frankly Florida weather is boring. Delaware is tax-friendly to seniors and winters can be cold but snow is infrequent. Being older I'd hire a kid to shovel at this point in my life.

Dave W

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm retired, so I can wait until it's done and the plows have been by. Then I fire up the big Ariens.

No sidewalks in my neighborhood but I have a long driveway and walks from the driveway to the front door and to the back gate.

I let the machine do most of the work. Minimal shoveling for me.

idjster

VERY grateful member
Silver Supporter
We have lots of snow here. I learned from my father to go out every so often to remove accumulated snow, so you might have to do it three or 4 times but it was never hard or heavy. Just good exercise. When I retired it also gave me a task to keep me busy. Now, because of my health, I can't do this so I leave it to Ms. Idjster, who doesn't do it to my standards but that's the tradeoff. :lol: I really wish I could do it though.

DugT

Tele-Afflicted
A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Three years ago I sold my Honda HSS928 snow blower and bought a Honda HSS1332 and it is much easier and better in every way. It is much bigger and heaver than the 928 but it is much easier to maneuver.

I like to wait until the road plow goes by so that I can remove the berm while I do my driveway.

1641579162756.png

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
I voted “Early and often” which is typically the approach. But in reality it’s a combination of 2, 3, and 4 depending…

New house this year, first time I’ve bought/needed a blower. Funny thing is, this is the mildest start to winter since I’ve lived here (Ithaca, NY) and I’ve only fired up the blower once so far!

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
My driveway is 85 feet long and 26 feet wide....still just use a shovel. I have a nice snow blower, but unless there are bad drifts, it is actually faster to just shovel it up to a 5 inch snowfall. Normally done in an hour.

I prefer to get after it during the storm to keep things from getting too deep. Skimming a driveway of 2 inches of snow is a lot easier than pushing 6 inches later. You have to save your energy for the real task....opening your driveway after the plows come through and leave that crusty, heavy, 3 foot drift of snow and slush at the end of your driveway.

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Three years ago I sold my Honda HSS928 snow blower and go a Honda HSS1332 and it is much easier and better in every way. It is much bigger and heaver than the 928 but it is much easier to maneuver.

I like to wait until the road plow goes by so that I can remove the berm while I do my driveway.

View attachment 937636
That's a beautiful machine.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Early and often.

If it gets to be a couple inches high, I’m going to be so pissed off as I’m shoveling. Especially if it’s not super powdery snow.

I don’t have much patience for snow. I’ve been in the wrong region my whole life, but so it goes.