Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Play Guitar While Hired Help Deals With It

Votes: 9 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
When I lived in northern BC, it was hopeless to try to manage the accumulation.
It’s an unending barrage.
I used to wake up two hours before work, see if the city plows had been out.
Yes, get dressed, start shoveling the walk, and driveway.
No, wait an hour and see if .....
Still no?
Cuss and fuss (to myself) and get really busy.
Not fun, day in day out from December through April.
I miss the majestic beauty of BC.
Mountains of snow, not so much.

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I see you didn’t list dynamite as an option. That would be my choice, but we don’t get much snow here, so we just let it melt. We got enough snow for a snow frog this past Sunday, but it was gone the next morning.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
We're (husband & wife) a bit serious with well being and capabilities so use our 94 ft driveway as exercise and well being.

94ft? That's oddly specific!

I do find shovelling snow meditative, so I know what you mean.

I just go out and shovel first thing in the morning if there is new snow, and there usually is. I'm working from home but my wife isn't, and I don't want her to drive over new snow and pack it down -- it's easier to shovel when untouched.

Story time: once my in-laws were coming over for dinner, just them. It had been snowing hard earlier and there was about 30cm of fresh snow. I didn't have time to clear the whole driveway so I shovelled a lane so they could drive up to the house. I was standing to one side as they arrived. My father-in-law paused, then drove up the untouched side of the driveway and parked there. He rolled down his window and said to me, "I don't want to be in your way!" I just stared at him and said, "that's not how shovelling works." Well, he was starting to get dotty.

Last edited:

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I cut a path to the street right to the ground for safety < I dont do the whole drive way , never understood that , I have 4wheel drive and can plow through it all , that way I can use a broom to keep it clear takes 5 minutes period.

I even sweep a path on the front lawn so my letter carrier doent have to slog through to my neighbours property

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
1641575198146.png
95 south until it’s not snowing.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Wait til Elsa is done having her little fit, then go clean up the mess. Get out the snowblower if it's more than a few inches, or otherwise use the plastic grain scoop, which has replaced my regular snow shovel as my go-to hand tool for that job (got it when the snowblower was down due to a fouled spark plug and the store didn't have any more shovels; needed a second shovel/shoveler after a big storm).

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
Growing up in the midwest I paid my dues with plenty of nos. 2 and 3, but don't miss it a bit!

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I also do a combination of 2 and 3, depending on the forecast and timing.

My ultimate goal, though, is to get my teenage son to do it! I already got him cutting my lawn and think it will be a nice addition to his chore portfolio!
Good luck with that, my kid came out the other day and OFFERED to help me clear the dishwasher after it was 1/2 done .......babysteps LOL

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
94ft? That's oddly specific!

I do find shovelling snow meditative, so I know what you mean.

I just go out and shovel first thing in the morning if there is new snow, and there usually is. I'm working from home but my wife isn't, and I don't want her to drive over new snow and pack it down -- it's easier to shovel when untouched.

Story time: once my in-laws were coming over for dinner, just them. It had been snowing hard earlier and there was about 30cm of fresh snow. I didn't have time to clear the whole driveway so I shovelled a lane so they could drive up to the house. I was standing to one side as they arrived. My father-in-law paused, then drove up the untouched side of the driveway and parked there. He rolled down his window and said to me, "I don't want to be in your way!" I just stared at him and said, "that's not how shovelling works." Well, he was starting to get dotty.
I have a construction type crank roller tape measure from my trail building and ski area work. Curious little kids measured the distance repeatedly. Many here should know I'm sort of a data nerd. When the city passed an ordinance to levy a 5 years fee for the flood disaster repair and proactive flood avoidance work I measured our non-permeable area. I forgot that number but what every it was made avoiding future flood problems seem like a bargain.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I picked 'play guitar' as

-I have back/ balance issues, will not clear snow/ice, walk, or drive in it, for fear of falling/ twisting - I just wait...

- we are in an apartment now, with sidewalks and parking lot right outside our sliding glass door...thankful!

- our wonderful son ( with whom we live) is kind enough to dig out path, clean my car when I can actually get out.

Used to love snow, no fear; now it's a beautiful enemy

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I had a 22 horse diesel John Deere tractor with a 4' snow blower, shaft driven........lost it in the divorce. My 20 year old son gets to clear the 1/4 mile driveway now. Poor fella.

Bought an Ariens 24" Classic electric start snowblower for my new home in Appleton. I can do the driveway and side walk in 25 minutes. It's not bad. The city house has a short driveway.

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
I go out and shovel...all day...while watching all my neighbors come in and out with their high fallutin' machines and blow it all over the place and go back inside in 5 minutes. The guy next to me hires a plow truck who likes to push it all into a huge pile about 2 feet from the end of my driveway, leaving me nowhere to toss mine with the shovel so I have to carry it 10 feet to toss it. Sometimes I have to chisel away at the "overflow" and relocate a few feet of his pile just to clear my driveway. Bastards.