What is your pick history up to 2020?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ASATKat, Jan 4, 2020.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Talk about your pick history and what you now use in 2020.

First off I'm a pick and finger guy. Sometimes all pick, sometimes all fingers, and sometimes hybrid.
    Mine is pretty simple. My first pick addiction was on the Fender extra heavy. It felt great as a new pick but it wore pretty bad, and old one was prone to getting bad pits in the edge. I would rub them on carpet to create friction and that did an ok job of leveling them. But I also noticed as it wore the grip got increasingly slippery.

My second pick addiction was the ugly green Tortex 1.5 plectrum from Dunlop. It was imo far superior to the Fender picks. First off no pitting, that was a great leap forward for pick longevity. The other great thing was it's grip. As a new pick it has a rough grip area that took months to smooth out and it still had a decent grip feel, even when smoothed out.

My third pick addiction was also a Dunlop. The 1.5 Primetone pick is about twice the cost of all my earlier picks and worth every bit.
    First off it had a smooth feeling grip that could easily turn and readjust during playing, but there was also an excellent grip factor that was not affected by sweat. It also would not put, something Dunlop nailed back in early Tortex days. The Primetone also had a nice moderate bevel that made it play like butter. Lastly it had a nice "ping" when dropped onto a hard table. This simple experiment showed the picks hardness. Where the Fenders landed with a thud, the Primetones landed with a high pitch ping that showed it's hardness. The best ping of any pick outside of something like the super expensive picks.

The Primetone imo, is the best, most tortoise like tone of any of Dunlop's choices. Wear after a year is barely noticeable, better than the Tortex. And you're only out $1.50 if you lose it. But my favorite feature is it's unique feel in the grip. Smooth and never ever slippery.

So until Blue Chips come down to a reasonable price (like $5 ea.) the Primetone is easily my favorite. And since I've never played with the $35 Blue Chip, who knows I may still prefer the Primetone, but I don't know. And since I won't pay $35 I may never know.

Tell us the story of your historical plectrum quest.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    ndcaster likes this.
  2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Started on Fender thins, once I learned how to play and how to hold, choke up, relax my grip and generally move it around in my hands without dropping it, fender Mediums.

I have a light right hand intentionally (bigger tone) and I find the Fender Mediums to be a good compromise. Mine don't wear out, they get lost long before that ever happens.

RottenTheCat likes this.
  3. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Fender Heavy to Wegen to Blue Chip to fingers only.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Fender, Wegen, then a bunch at random, Primetone & Ultex

but I still use thin floppy nylon for strumming behind a singer...

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

last few years have evolved to steel finger picks (for steel and resonator) and none for regular guitar.

I have been playing a lot more classical than electric so I haven't worn my fingertips off. If I play a lot of electric I end up using dunlop orange or yellow. Not remembering gauge right now!

6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I started off with whatever I could get, they were usually tortoise shell celluloid. Towards the end of the seventies I moved on to Gibson teardrop heavies, then gradually worked my way up to the 3mm Dunlop stubby, especially for mandolin and mandola. Now, well, I usually pick up plectrums other people have dropped, or borrow one to try out a guitar in a shop and forget to give it back.

7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Fender medium> Herco gold> Dunlop Jazz II. Been with the Dunlops since the 80's.

8. Ditchgator

Ditchgator Tele-Meister

Think Fender mediums to start. Then so many that memory doesn't serve well. Have been using D'Andrea medium and heavy with bevel for years now.;):cool:

9. dredoubleu

dredoubleu TDPRI Member

Started with whatever I happened to have laying around, then to 0.73 mm Dunlop Nylons for a short while. The first pick I stuck with was the Big Stubby 2.0mm for about a year, then discovered the Jazz III and used that for about 3 years exclusively. Started later using either a Fender thin or a Traynor .51mm jazz pick when I switched to 8 gauge strings. About a year ago I switched to heavier gauge flatwounds on my guitars and picked up bass guitar, and with that switched back to heavy picks, landing on my new favourite, which is the Dunlop Flow Jumbo 4.20.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

High school - Herco gold light
    18-21 - Herco Grey heavy
    21-35 - Heavy Fender small eliptical white egg shape, bigger than Jazz size, smaller than regular Fender
    35-45 - tortoise Fender Medium
    45/50 - Clayton nylon, similar to the white Fender size
    50-55 Dunlop Jazz III red
    55-61 Dunlop EJ Jazz III
    61- Dunlop Ultex Jazz III, slightly bigger than regular size

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Mine's really easy. I used Fender Mediums through the '90s. Switched to Dunlop Tortex .73s (the yellow ones) back in the early '00s. To me they feel much like my old Mediums but they wear slower and have a slightly grittier feel to hold onto.

12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I recently bought a pack of Dunlop jazz III's and really like them. I never cared for small picks before, but what seems different on these is the width across the shoulders. they are easy to hold onto.

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

That was my story until I started playing bluegrass in the early 80s and switched to Fender heavies. Also used thumbpicks/metal fingerpicks back then for finger style.

Switched to hybrid picking for finger style in the mid-80s, though I didn't know it was "hybrid picking" until I picked up a Tele around 2000 and starting learning the lingo on the Internet.

Still using 351-shaped heavy picks most every day.

beagle likes this.
  14. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Fender 351 mediums straight through from ages 15-35. As I got more interested in blues I switched to National thumb pick and metal fingerpicks but as time passed I went barehanded and that became my default and now I only use flat picks on the rare occasion I'm looking for that BB King sound and thumb and finger picks when required.

15. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I’ve been a proud endorser of ”Whatever The Last Band Left On The Stage” picks since 1986.

16. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

when i was a teenager, i was dependent upon the white Fender medium picks. i had one that was perfectly worn down for the punk rock rhythm guitar style which was necessary at the time due to my lack of talent and dexterity. later, i moved onto Dunlop nylon mediums, and now i am using Dunlop 1.0mm heavy tortex picks. in my experience, heavier string gauges demand heavier picks.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  17. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

From 1970 to 1985: Fender mediums, though I would frequently try others, I would always go back to the Fenders
    From 1985 to now: Dunlop nylons. Tried .60 to 1.0, settled on the .88s in the early 90s. Been there ever since.

tamer_of_banthas and thunderbyrd like this.
  18. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Tele-Meister

mainly Dunlop Nylon .88 until @ 20 odd years ago

then Dava picks for ages

then Herco .75

now a mix of the Hercos and Ernie Ball 1.5 Prodigy Minis; occasionally a Tortex Jazz purple

tamer_of_banthas and neilybob100 like this.
  19. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Pryor to the '80's I can't remember, whatever was available at the local music store. From the early 80's until 4 years ago it was Dunlop nylons .88. Since then it has been Graphtech Tusq 1mm.

20. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Started with Dunlop Tortex yellow or green and used a bunch of standard size picks of similar thickness.

A few years later, my first long term teacher completely changed my grip (for the better) and turned me on to Tortex Jazz IIIs. I’ve used nothing else since, sizewise, but I now prefer the Primetone and Ultex varieties.

I also hybrid pick and play jazz, Delta blues and finger style acoustic with my fingers only.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.