What is your opinion of Boston (the band)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Apr 7, 2018.

What is your opinion of Boston (the band)?

1. Generally favorable opinion

135 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. Generally unfavorable opinion

32 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. No opinion

18 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I had their first album and loved it. Listened to it a lot.
    Still have a favorable opinion. Also learning more about who and how it was made more recently is cool.
    I just started up "More Than A Feeling" and it holds up well over time. Somewhat cringey at times with the lyrics, but I don't care it sounds so good.

2. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

I think Boston was a an incredible brainchild of Tom Scholz, with Brad Delp's amazing voice. To me it was a studio band, but clearly they toured, etc. I just have watched live videos of the band and nearly fell asleep. Not a dynamic live act but a great band for the albums.

As has been mentioned, Tom had/has always been an innovator and that guitar tone is similar to Brian May's in some ways. The fact that he recorded it all in his basement...in the 70's no less...is no mere feat.

Just ask Eddie Kramer. He had the opportunity to produce/mix that first record but chose KISS instead. I remember hearing Eddie say "what the hell am I going to be able to contribute to this? Just release it as is, it's perfect". When Eddie Kramer says that, that's a serious endorsement. And I agree.

Love Boston!

drlucky, Snowbird, Wyzsard and 2 others like this.
  3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I didn't like them when they first came out because they weren't where my soul was...but after a bit the songs really grew on me and the harmonies were pretty. I still love some of the lines and the way they made you feel what being a young, hot band was like...

4. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

I really liked them when they first came out - I was just learning to play guitar in the late 70s and the intro to More Than a Feeling was the first song I picked out myself by ear. The second album sounded pretty much the same to me, maybe not quite as good. By the time the third record came out I had pretty much lost interest in the arena rock sound.

I was sorely disappointed, however, to hear how the band was pretty much a Tom Sholz solo project, with the other musicians brought in later to make it a viable band. I had believed the lyrics "We were just another band out of Boston....playin' all the bars, sleeping in our cars..." Yeah, sure.

5. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

That first album had so many hits. Not a huge fan but I spent some time with that first album in the early mid 90s. Impressive.

6. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Not a fan, but if I happen to be listening to a radio station that plays one of their songs I (probably) won't change the station.

Sort of like Journey and Foreigner I don't dislike them totally.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

That first album was nothing short of incredible. The second was was almost as good. "Third Stage" has one song, "Cool the Engines", that comes close to their former greatness, but that's it. I haven't kept track of anything after that.

As a side note, it's pretty impressive that the guitarist somehow, from the ground up, built a solid state preamp that sounded pretty much exactly like the power-attenuated Marshall tone of the first two albums.

Snowbird likes this.
  8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

As far a classic rock bands go, they're fine. I'm not bothered by the fact that they used recording/studio techniques to produce good sounding records.

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

From what I understand they were cranked Marshall heads with resistor load boxes.

10. Big Burly

Big Burly Tele-Meister

I like them, but am tired of them.

I do still enjoy the less often played on the radio songs.

I feel the same way about Aerosmith, except I really don't like Aerosmith's later material.

11. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great band!

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I always thought their studio technique was exceptioal, thought Scholz was a fairly smart tech, and the rockman was a cool little box at the time, never saw them live and never knew if they toured or not, some great albums there for the times , but in those days you got an album of all great tunes , very few one hit albums.
    I never owned any of their albums maybe thats why I didnt grow tired of them and could listen to them on the radio.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

This was about the time I was about to turn off the FM radio. I was tired of Boston after about the first week, but my GF at the time was a huge fan, so I put up with it and maybe that is why I'm not a fan. I would listen to Montrose or Foghat instead at the time and even those groups got to my nerves a bit. I was hanging on to Black Sabbath for dear life until I turned the radio off for about 15 years.

BB likes this.
  14. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't think much of them back in the day, (due to my 'esoteric' tastes!) but the older I get, the more I admire and appreciate what they did. Great musicians, great production, great guitar, great songs. The fact he invented the Rockman (I just sold my original Rockman a few years ago) and all that other cool gear just adds to the cool factor.

The older I get, the more I find bands and songs wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for back in the day, to be pretty freaking amazing. What was I thinking?

drlucky, tomkatf and Obsessed like this.
  15. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

I believe that Boston really helped save Rock and Roll, at the time everything else that got airplay seemed to be sliding into the abyss of disco.

Snowbird, knopflerfan and awasson like this.
  16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had the chance to see them and then I didn't.

When I lived in Philly in the 70s I worked for an entertainment paper, and I drew the assignment to interview Scholz once the album caught fire. Boston was supporting Queen on their 'Day at the Races' tour, and I spoke to Scholz over the phone from Philly on their Miami stop. Boston was booked in the same hotel as Tommy Bolin (who was opening the Jeff Beck tour), and I talked to him the morning after Bolin overdosed. I think I knew before the rock stations in town that Bolin had died.

I talked to Scholz for about an hour and it was a really good interview. I asked him about the end of the solo in 'More Than a Feeling' and its resemblance to the melody of a song called 'Telstar.' He said I was the first person to ask him that and he actually owned up to nipping that part of the melody. I asked him about the 'Better Music Through Science' campaign that the label was using to promote the album - he hated it, and I think that really led to him losing a lot of fire later on.

He had to jump after an hour, but actually invited me to call him back when the band got to Alanta the next day, which I did. As we wrapped up the second call, I told him I'd be seeing the show when they got to Philly, and he enthusiastically invited me to come backstage and meet the band and talk some more.

But something happened with Queen, and by the time they got to Philly they were at war with the press. No backstage, no passes, no tickets, no press, period. Never got to see them.

- D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I kinda see it as the other way around.

If the Rock performers had stayed fresh, and raw and not overly produced, struggling to pay the bills and about to be replaced by a new gang of hungry, less technically savvy people, the Barn Door would never have been left open for Disco to get in in the first place.

As polished and multi layered and professional as things like Late Genesis and Buckingham-Nicks era Fleetwood Mac, Boston and Foreigner and also the Eagles not crowded out the new guys like Big Star (and the others we should know but do not), then Rock and Roll as it was supposed to be might have continued without a pause, and this keeps the Disco Disease from attaining critical mass.

18. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

One of the best bands ever.

awasson likes this.
  19. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

A big part of those early Boston records sound was everything going through the dbx V.U. series compressors. Gave them that fast, tight and punchy sound that, as mentioned earlier, probably sounded really good and modern on smaller/cheaper speakers.

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My Dad, 43 at the time (1976) hipped me to Boston.
    I was 18 or 19 at the time.
    Dad loved the arranging of the music.
    I loved the soaring, harmonized guitar.
    I saw them at the Frank Irwin Center, around the Don’t Look Back era.
    They were “perfect”.
    That’s really a weird thing to say, but they were.
    Spot on, in tune, in time, tight, tight, tight, and they looked like they enjoyed doing it.
    They kinda defined the time.
    A lot of thought, care, skill and effort went into that stuff.
    Really!

thegeezer, basher, Snowbird and 5 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.