1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is your modulation go to?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by paulblackford, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

My Digi Tech Ventura Vibe covers a few bases for me IMG_1232 (2).jpg

4pickupguy and paulblackford like this.
  2. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Boss BF-2 and various reverbs, amp based and other.

paulblackford likes this.
  3. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

It will do the Leslie sound very well But you will need true stereo pedals to run them with the Left Right outs of the horn section sound. They are well built. Get one if you can and just hope it works correctly.

4. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I bought one off Reverb yesterday.

Mine will be used in the studio with all three outputs into a mixing console. That said, I can only imagine how cool it would be with three amps.

I love Leslies, so if it comes close to the real deal it will see a fair bit of use.

5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Tremolo for me, if I use anything. I like it kind of subtle, and at a rate that doesn’t necessarily relate to the song tempo, so the peaks and valleys are a little unpredictable...but if it’s subtle you don’t
    Get caught trying to accent a downbeat In the middle of a deep amplitude valley.

I actively loathe the sound of flanging in all cases.

I hear chorused and phaser-ed parts I like when others play, but almost never feel moved to reach for those effects myself.

6. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I'm sort of a phase shifter addict...

Best I've ever heard...
    - 1970s Mu-Tron Phasor II (I also had a Mu-TRon Bi-Phase back in the day
    - Everytime I test drive a phaser I am using this pedal in the back of my mind as the bench mark for phasing. Just about NOBODY does this sound. Almost everybody mimics the MXR Phase 90 sound. Much less dramatic. My philosophy with a modulation effect... the more dramatic, the more overall usefull. Like... you could possibly get a Phase 90 sound out of the Mu-Tron if you dialed it back, but the less dramatic Phase 90 can't even come close to the Mu-Tron sweep.
    - Last Phasor II I saw for sale used was $500... so a no-go for me
    - Used to get them used at music stores or pawn shops for $40 (those days are long gone)
    - Last one I had I sent in for repair/cleaning to an online guy... he evidently stole the chip out of it, it cam back with almost no sweep left... what a bastard...

Newer...
    - T-Rex Tremonti Phaser... has a nice sweep and you can add "Grit" (distortion-ish stuff)

Not a Phaser, but the
    - EHX Lester G... they call it a Rotary effect pedal - takes some getting used to but I found it to be addictive once I learned what knob did what

Cheapest/best Phaser
    - Behringer VP-1 Vintage Phahde... well worth the $30-ish dollars it costs... a clone of the old EHX Bad Stone phaser... one knob, one switch, nearly identical box

Standard swoosh
    - MXR Phase 90, not very dramatic (like the Mut-Tron) but has its place

An improvement on the Phase 90
    - Whirlwind Orange Box phaser... the guy at Whirlwind was the MXR guy years ago when MXR was MXR before Dunlop bought MXR and made all their stuff in China...

-----------------------

Vibe pedals

Best I've heard/owned
    - Fulltone MDV-3 (blue wah-sized vibe)

Others I've had and liked:
    - Earthquaker - The Depths
    - Voodoo Lab MicroVibe (definitely has its place in music)

------------------------

Best all-around modulation-everything pedal...
    -Strymon Mobius
    But for me, too expensive ($450 ouchy dollars for one very complicated pedal), and too hard/technical to figure out... I hate reading manuals, so not for me

I did a test drive of a Mobius at a store where the sale guy knew how to set it up and it was spectacular. It has a 16-stage Phase shifter inside which was even deeper than the old Mu-Tron Phasor II

-------------------------

Flanger
    - A/DA Flanger - very dramatic or can be managable

Flanger you've probably never seen or heard that I think is the best ever...
    - Tel-Ray Morley (big chrome box) PFL Pro Flenger
    - Foot swivel does flange speed or with a switch, it let's you sweep the speed like a wah...
    - Yes, I still have one from the 1970s...
    01.jpg

02.jpg

Anything that can do a thru-zero flange is one I love... not many can do a tru thru-zero flange... still looking for one

-------------------------

Best pedal company (IMHO)
    - Source Audio (SA)
    - best customer service of any company or any business of any type I have ever experienced on Earth...

1) Bought a USED SA Orbital Modulator on Reverb
    2) Couldn't figure it out, so emailed SA customer support
    3) SA support (NIKO) made me my own YouTube video showing exactly how to set the thing up... amazing...
    4) Pedal didn't seem to work like the one in the video... so SA customer support paid shipping BOTH WAYS and I sent it in
    5) SA figured out this (bought USED) pedal was malfunctioning so...
    6) THEY TOOK AN NOS (New Old Stock) DEMO OFF THE SHELF AND SENT IT TO ME AS A REPLACEMENT !!!

I doubt there is any manufacturer of any type of good or servince on the planet that would do that, for a used pedal, to make things right...

They got my attention with that badass customer support...

Now almost my entire board is SA pedals... here's a scale model I made using Excel of my current board... I still need to get the EQ2 Programmable EQ, and the Spectrum Intelligent Filter... also waiting to buy the Disaster Area DPC-5 MIDI Controller & send/return looper... other than that, I have all these pedals... all but 2 of the complete SA One Series line-up...
    Pedalboard 1-30-21 (proposed scale model).jpg

Each SA pedal, when using their free Neuro Desktop and a USB cable, has multiple more algorithms inside. For example, the L.A. Ladt Over drive has 50 additional fuzz/OD/distortion/preamp algorithms inside. So you buy one of their OD/Fuzz pedals, you get them all with the desktop app. Buy one of the modulation pedals (I have their Lunar Phaser) and you get all of their modulation algorithms... and so on...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  7. Alasdair George

Alasdair George TDPRI Member

I've been having a lot of fun with the Jam Waterfall chorus/vibrato recently. I've just (today) taken delivery of a Strymon Mobius, so I'll update my reply once I've been through all of its settings & functions - give me about 12 months

8. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Go-To for years was my '87 Ibanez SC10 Stereo Chorus - sounds great. I added an MXR Micro Flanger recently for some songs (Barracuda) and had a Phase 90 but used it sparingly.

Took those two off the board and replaced with a Strymon Mobius - still has the amazing analog chorus emulation, great flangers, but really loving the rotary emulation and would never have gotten a standalone pedal before.

And yes, tremolo either on my Princetons or my Tremolux. 2020 latest Pedalboard.jpg 2021 Pedalboard web.jpg

TwoBear, 4pickupguy and paulblackford like this.
  9. kristen

kristen TDPRI Member

When using an amp without Tremolo, or one that has a built in cheesy Tremolo effect, I switch off and use a Danelectro Tremolo pedal.
    If you use any other type of pedal, you are very wrong and your sound will suffer.

K

TwoBear and paulblackford like this.
  10. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

My Boss CE5 chorus is my go to modulation effect followed by my Boss TR2 tremolo. Chorus is such a fun effect that can bring an extra dimension to clean and distorted sounds whether you need something to be extra pretty or huge sounding.

Tremolo is such a beautiful mellow effect that can integrate into any sound but I feel it truly excels at high volume when you can feel the air dip and dive in the room. Sometimes I run both at once for a bargain Leslie effect.

11. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

I had a 147, sounded like HEAVEN! Like a 122 in a smaller cab. Was always partial to the slow mode but with the digital ones you can dial them back a bit to make the fast more palatable. On my MD 500 I have a normal 122 sound and a milder one with the horn dialed back to emulate Clarence white's Fender Vibro-Tone on "Untitled" where he uses it on slow mode - beautiful. It's said he used it side by side with a blackface Vibrolux. But the RT-20 STAYS. I don't use it all the time now I have the MD 500, but back when the RT came out I tried what was around and it really was the best. As a former Leslie owner I say it's REALLY nice.

12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Love the the Ventura Vibe. It does a lush chorus sound. I keep it on a Leslie setting and it’s great for that as well!

13. SebC

SebC Tele-Meister

I love tremolo. My favorite is the surfy industries fet tremolo that clones the blackface and brownface tube circuits. I got it as a DIY kit and included it on my reverb toolbox build. I don't think they still sell the kit but I'm sure they still sell the tremolo pedal
    0F505AC7-3988-45B3-9BDB-BF28E85332E8.jpeg 8263D654-8CA0-4343-B4E1-02FB98C9D844.jpeg

14. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Hey I hear you man! After I got tired of carrying around the model 16s I had all kinds of pedals, including a little one In a thin black box with a slider switch that I sold cheap to a keyboard player friend, and then we found out it was pretty rare and desirable. The RT20 stayed on the board for many years, most of the time ramping up and down with a little black bud box with lg. Red knob. Funny thing about it, people usually ask me about the UniVibe more. I never had instructions but I found out the bass/horn knob controls intensity of the Vibe, but I’ve had a real UniVibe, and a first run Roto-Vibe, and this one didn’t knock me out but it’s not awful. One idiosyncrasy of this I do not like is The overdrive knob comes on all at once with too much and there’s no way dial it back. As soon as it comes on no matter how finicky I get with the knob, it’s too much for me. I used the three Leslie settings extensively in playing live, mostly leaving it on either two or three, If my girl came to a gig because she says it looks weird when I’m down there messing with my pedals all the time. She actually suggested I should put them on some kind of lift so it looks like I knew what I was doing instead of fixing something broken ha ha! I broke down and bought a cheap Cordovox as it sat in a local Sam Ash music store. It was purely a knee-jerk romantic buy. Here she sits, hopefully forgiving the proximity of the cat box, and come to think of it I had it covered in plastic sheeting in case neighboring cats came in and tried to spray! It has a brand new 8 inch Jensen in it. Man I’m just taming down... if I bought a 16 and it had a 10” I would alter it for a 12 inch, And immediately add a quarter inch jack on a piece of angle iron so it was guitar friendly. I was going to MOD this for foot switch ability, then found out it has strange switches... oh man I just hit on it! I use the top of it for my pedestal for the large pedalboard, And just reach over and flick the chorus and vibrato switches, along with twiddling my delays and turning my DD 5 knobs!!! Everybody’s happy!!!

Attached Files:

Arfage likes this.
  15. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

This is my first time seeing your build, and that is just so cool! I don’t know about the kit you mentioned but on EL34 world-Hoffman amplifiers, he’s had a, I think it’s called Re-Vibe circuit for many years I’m sure it’s still there. It has a BOM and I think all the parts are available there except for the toolbox. Again that’s really really cool I got to go look for sound bites of it

16. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Hey did we both hit on Home Depot as a source of a cheap pedalboard platform? This one’s going to be my light weight busking board. I think it’s pegboard for the wall I’m not even sure. image.jpg

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing beats the built-in tremolo of my Ampeg J-12T and my Princeton Reverb. But I do own a Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter, for use on my amps that don't have built-in tremolo. The tap tempo was the main selling point, along with the relatively low price ($90 used, locally).

4pickupguy and paulblackford like this.
  18. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Wow that's really cool. At one point I had the big 18v Dunlop Uni and RT on my big board. The vibe model on the RT always sounded wrong to me. I used it on setting 1 with the overdrive off and for years never used it fast. Now I do a touch of fast with medium ramping on the RT and MD500. Boss does the best Leslie sound of the pedals I've tried.

TwoBear likes this.
  19. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

I like the DIY pegboard, but with the amount I sweat during shows, it would disintegrate with me. My board is a Temple Audio DUO 24, which was an upgrade from the old one. Pedals get a plate stuck on the bottom and then they're screwed down on the pedalboard - super secure, and easy to route power/audio underneath. They also have a good pedalboard planner on their site.

20. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Boss CE-2 Chorus, original "Made in Japan" version. And Leslie rotating speaker cabinet. BossCE2s.jpg BossCE2sback.jpg Leslie.jpg LeslieCab.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    TwoBear, 4pickupguy, drmordo and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.