1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is your modulation go to?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by paulblackford, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Been gravitating more and more to the two Dimension settings on my MD500 instead of the slow Leslies I used to head straight for. A stock "button #1" setting and another dialed way back. It's malfunctioning, and they're pretty expensive so I don't know what I'm gonna do now.

paulblackford likes this.
  2. Stratman2252

Stratman2252 TDPRI Member

This will be funny to many. I have several Chorus, flanger etc pedals. I like the Boss stereo chorus but when turned up high it can sound out of tune. Years ago I bought a fender (green) Chorus and a Fender (blue) Fuzz on sale at Sam Ash for $15 each. The fender Chorus is perfect. LOve it. Only dislike is its size which is bigger than a Boss. have not seen another like it. The Fender Fuzz is still in the original clamshell / never opened never used. Because I like my Zen Drive, Orange Boss distortion and the Wampler Euphoria. However the Wampler on off switch is flaky now and needs repair. That is pretty piss poor for an expensive pedal that rarely gets used. Also a big fan of the Boss Blue Compression pedal. I often set it to give myself a boost in volume when playing clean. It also improves sustain. a nice pedal. And of course BOSS has the best on off switches on ANY pedals. Always work and always quiet.

Update. I just saw the Fender Starcaster Green Chorus pedal on reverb.com... I paid $15. Asking $173. I have a Sam Ash Red 1966 Fuzz Boxx I will sell for $800. check that on reverb.com Insane. And they offered a vintage Reissue a couple years ago for $79 they are selling for double. That is because Tommy Bolin (TEASER) used one in his live rig.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  3. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Electric Mistress is it. Oh I have a Phase 90 somewhere also.

4. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

This is a great pedal, I've had one since they were relatively new. I wish they'd make a smaller, lighter one in the 200 shell.

TwoBear and paulblackford like this.
  5. reedrainey

reedrainey TDPRI Member

Tremolo from the Demeter Tremulator, if it's not in the amp. I depend on the Princeton Reverb for reverb and tremolo, but if it's not in the amp, I depend on the Strymon Big Sky reverb most. My rig is the classic mix of clean pretty much all the way. Got the hint for the Tremulator from Clapton's pedals.

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Funk Machine should be delivered today. Looking forward to the funky fun.

7. beeflin

beeflin Tele-Meister

I've just bought an EHX Mod 11, which has lovely tremolo, harmonic tremolo and rotary and is a good jack-of-all-trades. But my Kmise Vintage Phase (Phase 45 type) is still my favourite. So unobtrusive, neither too throbby nor too squeaky, and its speed control ranges from always-on subtlety to a still-musical bubbling. Almost perfect, just a little hot.

8. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

Phaser first and foremost, either a phase 90 or Small Stone setting on my Axe-FX, or my Mutron II clone on my old board. Flanger second, which is actually my favorite modulation sound, but less useful then phasing. Tremelo third, as hard choppy as possible, vibrato fourth and chorus last. And even then I prefer the detune setting of my whammy over an actual chorus pedal.

9. 19thAveTone

19thAveTone TDPRI Member

I have stages/levels of modulation that I like/use (sparinglyish): 1) ALWAYS on is the ChaseTone Secret Preamp - which (to my ears) ads a very slight 'expanding' tone 2) TC Corona Chorus + 3) Carr Rambler's tremolo. QUOTE from Buddy Miller I heard in an interview goes something like 'I stepped on the tremolo pedal back in 1982 and I haven't turned it off yet'.

Attached Files:

10. johnsontylerj

johnsontylerj TDPRI Member

JAM Pedals - Ripply Fall
    Supro - 1310 Tremolo
    Kingtone - Vibe 1968
    Pigtronix - Rototron

My goal was 100% analog pedalboard. I don't currently have the Pigtronix hooked up. Anyone who knows this pedal knows that they are NOISY. With my switching system it's not that big of a deal, but I also don't use it enough to keep it on the board. I am looking to get a good Leslie Cab for recording. (G37 looks promising).

Happy Swimming!!

11. Lyle2010

Lyle2010 TDPRI Member

I like them all, but my new favorite is vibrato. Chorus can put a sort of sheen on your tone, which is cool. But the vibrato avoids that.

12. goodcheaptele

goodcheaptele Tele-Meister

I am not a "pedal freak" for a few reasons: 1) they become an excuse for a lack of "style" development. 2)They tend to homogenize all players into a banality. Let me say this outright: I tend to prefer playing cleanly. I am not a distortion junkie. Having said that let me now say that I only use ONE PEDAL. I use a Keeley DDR and it serves me well. K.I.S.S.

13. enorbet2

enorbet2 TDPRI Member

I still love the TC Electronics original Chorus/Flanger quite a lot but my Go To has always been the dark grey MXR Flanger. With a long delay setting and a barely perceptible depth it just enhances everything.

14. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

I like using the Keeley Abby Setting on his 30ms.
    Nice double tracking sound.
    A close second is the chorus on my Terraform.

15. MonkeyGym

MonkeyGym NEW MEMBER!

Boss CE2

16. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Tele-Meister

I really like the Luxe pedal from Digitech. It is a chorus without the 80s type artifacts and you can dial out the waves. Pretty sweet and under-appreciated

17. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

I build tube tremolo... it's been called a "a pulsating kind of a sound" by the Guitar Radio Show. It's my go to modulation.

18. fendermac

fendermac TDPRI Member

Phasing and flanging I tend to not use anymore. I really like the Neunaber Inspire chorus and my favourite tremolo pedal is the T.Rex Tremster

19. Stinger22

Stinger22 Tele-Meister

Rarely use any but usually the flanger on my Zoom multistop.

20. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Bias Trem on the Fender Tre Verb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.