What is your IQ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HotRodSteve, Jul 19, 2021.

What is your IQ?

1. 33-80

17 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. 81-99

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  3. 100-110

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. 111-130

26 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. 131-150

58 vote(s)
    38.9%
  6. 151-200

21 vote(s)
    14.1%
  7. Drummer

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. Bass Player

19 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. Tele T

Tele T Tele-Meister

What is your IQ?... IT is mind over matter-IF you don't mind, it don't matter....:cool:

Chicago Matt likes this.
  2. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I'm an aeronautical engineer. A lot of my colleagues cannot tie their own shoes!

I couldn't agree more! My employer (and my boss in particular) really overvalues grade point average when hiring new candidates. We have a lot of "book smart" people who have no social skills or common sense. My officemate hired an electrician to install one light fixture. He has a PhD in engineering, but can't turn off a breaker and use a couple of wire nuts.

I don't know my IQ, I think I took a test at school a few times. I figure they told my parents, but they never told me. I guess these test may be useful to help identify the smart kids and sort out who's not so smart versus who is just underperforming. But in the real world, who cares? You either do the job or you don't. I don't give a rat's butt if you are smart enough to do it. You still have to get it done!

3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

The only time I pull the MENSA card is on pointless threads like this one. Otherwise, if you don't want to know what my IQ is don't ask. Because I ain't going to tell you :)

4. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

You're conflating an evaluation of raw intelligence (IQ), aptitude for learning, ability to apply knowledge and manual dexterity. Having a 'genius level IQ' doesn't mean you're a genius.

Austistic people often have higher IQs, So do psychopaths...

Personally, I'd rather be a bit dim and able to play jazz like Wes and Joe than have a stellar IQ and unable to play a note. I'm halfway there...

Old Deaf Roadie and teletail like this.
  5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

:lol:

6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

at 72 almost 73 , I know that the shrinks and councilors have told me that I'm really smart, but not working up to my potential, I'm made some very stupid mistakes, have or had very bad judgement regarding romance, was smart enough to get out of vehicles and continue my life long enjoyment of bicycle riding. Astute enough to recognize that being in a band can be like a very bad marriage, wise enough to ever make that mistake again. dumb enough to believe and have another glass of kool aid and wake up with a suicidal hang over

aging_rocker and JL_LI like this.
  7. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Afflicted

Well over 200, but I attenuate it down to room level with alcohol.

Tonetele and Chicago Matt like this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

60 -- oh wait, I thought this was the "How old are you" thread.

drf64, El Serio and JL_LI like this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

IQ isn’t what it’s cracked up to be. I retired in January as a managing engineer specializing in lasers and laser optics. On December 30 I was the guy who knew everything and could solve any problem. On January 2 I was the dummy who had to learn to do as he was told.

donrichfan and El Serio like this.
  10. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

If you consider the effects of alcohol, I was definitely an over achiever in my youth, accomplishing far more during my brief bouts of sobriety than logic could explain. :D

NashvilleDeluxe likes this.
  11. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

Well, that's really not the point at all, it's not knowledge testing.

Testing "ability to learn" isn't remotely like testing what you know at different ages. It's testing your ability to take information that's presented and do something novel with it to solve a problem or express creativity. There's no reason to expect that these abilities ability is different between age 30 and age 40.

I do know this though, testing adults isn't that different at all from testing kids. The main difference is that certain kinds of reasoning aren't developed in young kids and so certain tests don't work for young kids, but by maturity, this simply isn't an issue.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  12. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

IQ isn't knowledge and experience.

(Well, with the caveat that one can "practice" IQ tests and score better, to some extent.)

13. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

Yes, please define "debunked," because it is highly useful for some clinical psychology applications in individual evaluations, and this has not been debunked, so, say what you mean.

14. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

Man, I can't even spell IQ.

I couldn't pour pee out of a boot if the instructions were on the bottom.

If my brain was on strike, I couldn't picket my nose.

Blackmore Fan and tery like this.
  15. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Three-and-a-quarter stars using the Ed Mc Mahon "Star Search" grading criteria.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You know that running an IQ check lowers your IQ, right?

Unless you check your IQ with one of those companies that adds a few points for a fee.

17. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Dang, the results of the poll so far indicate there are a lot unusually smart folks here on TDPRI.
    All I can say for certain about my IQ is that it's definitely lower than it used to be.

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

When I was a kid, we had an aerospace engineer help out with the youth group I was in. We had an oven that was fuelled off a gas bottle - and it didn't appear to be working. Said engineer went in to trouble shoot with a lit match for illumination...never thought to ask his IQ.

telemnemonics and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  19. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted

IQ is the just the answer to a division problem.

Conceptually, it's:
    person's score / average score

There are a bunch of different tests. They all work a little differently. You can look up the specifics on Wikipedia if you're interested.

But all compare one person's score against the scores of a comparable population- ie, other kids of the same age. Wouldn't be a "quotient" otherwise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient

There is no single IQ test that adequately measures intelligence. There's not even a single accepted definition of intelligence.

So yeah, it's one thing to joke about IQ when someone does something stupid. No big deal.

But if you're in a conversation that has some type of real world impact- teacher meetings, hiring, legal proceedings, etc- and someone is talking about an IQ score as a valid, single measure of intelligence... it's amateur hour and you or your kid is getting screwed or snowed. Stop, ask for clarification, ask for the manager, refuse to sign.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.

IQ tests given to kids- WISC-V, Stanford Binet, etc- are all standardized tests. That means they are tests of a child's performance against the performance of a sample of kids of the same age. That's basically the definition of a standardized test score.

Like I said, I have no idea what an adult IQ test measures or what the normative sample would be. Not my circus, not my monkeys

20. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I've never taken a IQ test but I have a pretty good idea where I fit on the IQ distribution curve.
    I base this view on my very consistent level of achievement in school and in employment.
    I'm somewhere in the right tail.
    I am amused when some of my brainy relatives talk about being in MENSA. I have a nearly overwhelming urge to poke fun at my brother who reportedly has an IQ of 165. He's another of those engineers who shouldn't be allowed to own tools.
    He's so proud of being a brainster.
    He didn't want to be accused of being one of those engineers who is culturally deficient so he read the Great Books of the Western World (54 volumes) multiple times.
    Nothing wrong with that but at what cost of socialization? That's a lot of reading chair time, but it did keep him away from tools.
    As for people who I would judge to be truly smart, I would look to my friend John. He finished his doctorate in chemistry in two years and of course the uni said, "You can't be finished!"
    He didn't have sufficient computing time on the uni's mainframe so he built and programmed a computer long before PCs.
    To fill the years before he would finish his doctorate, he taught high school chemistry and physics plus worked part-time at the bike shop where I was the manager.
    John was a natural mechanic who could fix anything, including things I didn't even know could be fixed. I mean, who rewinds refrigerator air circulation motors?
    John looked like an enormous, hairy bear but successfully raced cat 3. Quite a thrill to have a bear come around you in a sprint!
    The distribution in the survey looks suspect. I'm not an expert in statistics but I was a teaching assistant in statistics in college.
    Of course it could be that TDPRIers are all above average and have naturally curly hair.

King

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.