1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is your Grilled Cheese method?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by IMadeYouReadThis, Jan 25, 2021.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I like some heartier bread, like sliced sourdough or peasant bread. Cheese is a mix of cheddar and 'Murican, or maybe something else that is melty. They are all pretty great. Butter in a hot pan, then BOTH slices go in the pan with the cheese split 50/50 between the two slices. Cheese melts faster this way and the whole thing cooks faster. When the bread is crispy you can put tomato slices or a little deli ham on top and then flip the two sides together. Sounds crazy but it works great.

elihu likes this.
  2. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Pretty conventional grilled cheese, except butter and grill all four sides and fill it with pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni, green peppers, and a little garlic powder.

3. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

- A Grilled Cheese sandwich is bread, butter, and cheese. Adding things like ham, bacon, tomatoes, etc, may taste great, but it's a melt, not a Grilled Cheese.

- With such a simple sandwich, ingredients are important. A good quality white sandwich bread or an Italian loaf work well.

Butter. No mayonnaise, no salad dressings, no margarine. Butter.

American cheese, not "American Singles", "American slices", "American Cheese Food Product", or anything else that comes in individually wrapped "singles" (none of these things are American cheese- labeling laws prevent them from using the word "cheese", so they have to use the words "cheese food product" or "cheese spread"). Get your American cheese from the deli counter. It's an entirely different product. Boar's Head, Land O' Lakes, or even the supermarket brand, as long as it's labeled "American Cheese" and sliced from a block.

- Lightly butter the bread on one side and pan-toast it, then put the cheese on the toasted side of the bread. Once the sandwich is assembled, butter and pan-toast the outside of the sandwich.

This serves two purposes: putting the cheese on the freshly toasted surface of the bread gives it a rolling start on the melt, and it doubles the amount of crispy, golden, brown, buttery surface on the sandwich. It's a win-win.

Sprinkle the outside of the sandwich lightly with salt. It doesn't take much, but it'll make a noticeable improvement. The best salt for grilled cheese is either pickling salt or salt from the little packets you get from a McDonalds drive-thru (both are very fine crystal salt).

ataylor likes this.
  4. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

basic grilled cheese sandwich is pretty hard to beat. Haven't tried the fried mayo version yet, but probably worth a try. I like thick bread, sourdough if it's around.

It's a basic food group. You can get all kind of cork sniffing about it or you can make it plain. Either way comes out pretty good.

There's a french variation, with ham, where you make it sort of like french toast. Some kind egg/milk batter, fry each slice of bread on one side, flip, add ham & cheese to one slice, layer fried side of one slice on top, grill then flip. Apparently this is called croque monsieur - and there are many variations on that theme.

5. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

For years I buttered the bread. Now I just throw a pat of butter in the pan before lying the bread down to soak the butter up, then again midst flip.

Sometimes I throw a slice of tomato in, and sometimes some spicy mustard. The cheese varies depending on what I’ve got at the moment. Growing up it was typically Kraft american slices. Now folks tell me that isn’t actually cheese, but what do I know?

The key is to vary the temp based on the melting point of the cheese, lest you want burnt bread and unmelted cheese.

Edit: the bread is, like the cheese, whatever I’ve got on hand.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Dano-caster and Mr Green Genes like this.
  6. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My method is to cut them in half like little triangles after my wife makes them. That is all I have to offer. I firmly believe little triangles taste better.

7. Mr Green Genes

Mm- bet that would be good if you used garlic butter on the outside of the sandwich to fry it.

IMadeYouReadThis and MisterZ like this.
  8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

And they're easier to dip in the tomato soup.

tery, Whatizitman and Mr Green Genes like this.
  9. Mr Green Genes

Back in the 1970s, Kraft American cheese was a much better product than it is today. "American Cheese" is actually cheese. "American Slices". "American Singles", "American Cheese Food Product", "American Cheese Spread", etc, do not meet the labeling law requirements to be called "cheese".

If you want "real" American cheese, get it from the deli counter at the supermarket. It'll be closer to the Kraft cheese from the 1970s than the modern "Kraft American Singles".

Mm. Good point. The biggest mistake is to have the heat too high. Med/Med-Low is plenty of heat. Let the pan heat up first.

ataylor and electrichead like this.
  10. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

My wife always makes sure the cheese runs out over the edge and gets a little crispy..
    Yum Yum

200214-stock-grilled-cheese-ew-108p_d76365753af96a33b7494a1bd4775f0c.jpg

tery likes this.
  11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Sharp cheddar only. This is not a point of discussion.

Just say no to American "Cheese". What was it? Imitation Pasteurized Process Cheese Food Substitute? That's what I recall. Apparently they've updated the title. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

12. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

When I was mess cranking in the Chief’s mess (Goat Locker) on my first ship (all new sailors had to go cranking for 90 days) I had an MS1 make me a grilled cheese sandwich. He put Mayo on the outside of the bread a grilled it up. I have been making them this way ever since.
    One other trick I learned. One day after serving the noon meal, MS1 told me to give him a packet of bug juice. I asked any particular flavor, he said no. He took the packet and tore off the top and spread the contents all over the grill. He took a stainless steel spatula and spread the bug juice back and forth soaking up all the grease and the grill was shining like new money.
    After I witnessed this I never drank bug juice again.

MickM likes this.
  13. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Triangles indeed taste better. The phenomenon is akin to how the color of a guitar impacts tone. It just does.

14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve tried both methods: buttering the bread or the skillet. It matters little. I’m a purist. It’ butter, bread and cheese (sharp cheddar) only. If you add ham or bacon, it’s a grilled ham/bacon and cheese sandwich. Same goes for adding tomato etc.

My would make “open face” grilled cheese sandwich (oxymoron) by baking cheese on buttered French bread until the crust was crispy and cheese bubbly!

ataylor likes this.
  15. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Mayo works fine but why forgo the flavor of butter? Seems like a wasted opportunity. I know American cheese gets a lot of hassle but it’s a fine choice for a grilled cheese sandwich. Even the loaves of it behind the deli counter are a processed cheese product though. No big deal.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Mr Green Genes likes this.
  16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

The only way to fly is to put a pat of butter under the bread slice, lay some smelly goaty sort of cheese on it, put another slice on top of that, cover the whole thing with a lid of some kind, and then flip it when it's ready on top of another pat of butter.

When the kitchen smells like a gym sock, take the melted cheese sandwich off the griddle and eat it at the bar with a cup of cream of tomato soup while your teenaged daughter grabs her laptop and runs horrified to her room upstairs.

Then you can live in a happy, restful peace for about an hour.

Whatizitman likes this.
  17. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Bread + 2 Kraft cheese slices + Bread ... microwave until the cheese melts .

18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If I'm in a hurry, 2 pieces of toast with a piece of provolone between.

19. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Oh man, you have got to butter the outside of the bread to toast it in the skillet.
    Sharp cheddar, 2 slices of wife's whole wheat bread, cooked in cast iron skillet till the bread is golden and cheese is melted. Then sprinkled with salt and dipped into a bowl of tomato soup:D
    Perfect for a cold rainy day such as this!

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Mayo in lieu of butter on the bread.
    Velveeta cheese only. real cheese is not as good!
    Put in a slice of lunchmeat after grilling it for a few seconds. Or bacon.

21. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

With roquefort and an hard paste cheese (think comté, cantal etc).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.