What Is Your Forte Where The Guitar Is Concerned?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I prefer “fort” as the acceptable pronunciation, as opposed to the fancy French “for-tay”. Anyway, this thread is about your strengths as a guitar player, and your weaknesses, if you want to mention them too.

I have a serious sense of rhythm. I always had that going for me. It could come from earlier experiences with drums. Beyond that, I’m mostly a struggling strummer (Stringbanger). I can play some riffs in between the vocals, and I can play decent single string leads on a good night, with another guitar playing rhythm.

Fingerpicking? Not so much. Arpeggios? Need a lot of work!

How about the rest of you fellow guitarists?

GibbyTwin and 24 track like this.
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I think...

I am able to play in a lot of genres and styles. I can go from country to funk, to rock, to jazz, to blues, to pop, to hip hop to reggae, to ska, to west African, South African, and European styles. And others. This has taken a lot of listening and studying, but I can do it. Being a multi instrumentalist helps.

I have a string sense of rhythm, though I can feel it slipping. I find it incredible that trained musicians can’t hear the difference between a bluegrass track and a country track - feel that pulse.

I can always get a good tone. That took years. But now I can. Any amp, any guitar, I’ll try something usable out of it.

Weaknesses? 'On the fly' theory. Reticence to use chord subs and inversions. I’m never happy with improvising, but I’m slowing down and thinking more of melody.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

This ones simple for me

I think I’m decent at coming up with riffs and grooves
    Not so great at learning other popular tunes

I’m a good rhythm player but not so much when it comes to lead or solos

Oh and any playing that requires a lot of pinkie
    Early on I learned to play mostly with 3 fingers and always could make decent sounds so that’s my biggest weakness of all especially when it’s not in a chord but single runs

And I don’t know scales or how to read music and never really got into tabs

4. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

I'm good at being mediocre.

5. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

I’m a pretty good all rounder. Jam to anything or with anyone.

Weak point for me, or what I’m least happy with is my phrasing. Grew up playing a lot of metal and weird time signatures. Find it comes back to haunt me when I’m playing in 4/4.

GibbyTwin, 24 track and Stringbanger like this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I definitely skew old music,
    but my forte ( and this comes out, every gig, I hope) is my variety of genres when it comes to both singing and guitar playing. Acoustic and electric.
    On electric definitely more R&R/rockabilly, and say swing/ jazzy blues and old R&B Steve Cropper guitar- rather than any real hard rock, or shredding ( love the music can't play it). Also am a pretty good Southern Rock/ Country picker

On acoustic, it's gonna be Bromberg style blues, Bluegrass like a ' bad Doc Watson or Tony Rice' , plus folk, instrumentals
    I think I'm pretty solid, but it's the variety that is the strength!
    * the big advantage of aging!

GibbyTwin, 24 track and Stringbanger like this.
  7. Stringbanger

Could you expound on your string rhythm theory?:lol:

8. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

My "weakness" would be a poor music notation reader. I never devoted enough time getting good at it. I have always been a solo player and had little trouble with scales and speed. Rhythm came naturally for me, don't know why. It might have something to do with genetics. Chords took me longer to grasp since I am self taught and had to learn harmony & theory out of a book.
    That being said, I wasted a good part of my life wanting to be the next guitar slinger along the lines of Clapton, Hendrix, Jeff Beck etc.
    It wasn't till I got a bit older that I realized I needed to work more on singing and songwriting.
    They are much more rewarding to me that blowing another hot solo.

9. Stringbanger

Just keep telling yourself that you are better, and you will become.....better......?

Lake Placid Blue and 24 track like this.
  10. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My forte wrt guitar would be my mediocre fingerpicking.
    A good match, I suppose, with my mediocre vocal abilities.

24 track likes this.
  11. Stringbanger

Nice! Cool! Far Out!:D Love jamming with whatever! Whoever.... well, ....people that are better than me.

24 track likes this.
  12. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm pretty good with chords, in various ways. Throwing them together, finding a melodic through-line in a progression, creating a progression to fit a melody, moving from one to another... This is probably where my basic-but-solid music theory education has paid off the most.

I'm also decent at improvising a "fearless" lead when necessary. However, it will most likely be some basic pentatonic stuff sprinkled with different "decorations" I've found over the years.

My weak spot is probably speed, particularly in doing things fast while keeping it tight and clean. The faster I get the more Jimmy Page I get, which isn't bad, but it'd be nice to be able to pull of the other stuff, too.

JL_LI and Stringbanger like this.
  13. Stringbanger

This thread has nothing to do with vocals!
    F2209E5A-C904-487E-8F47-A947872FB1AD.gif

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My forte is a finger style that works for country, jazz, and, pop. I don’t do Travis picking. My style uses a simple bass line overlaid by leads and chords played as arpeggios. I mix in double and triple stops. I can thumb strum and play jazz solos with my thumb with accented triads played with my thumbnail on the upstroke.

Accuracy needs work. I make more mistakes than I’m comfortable with. Practice doesn’t seem to make perfect, at least in my case.

I’m currently working on modern jazz using modal scales. I’ve made a good start on the Dorian mode. I think Locrian will be next. I didn’t see myself getting better playing the same songs over and over adding a few new ones each year. I’m making fewer mistakes playing Dorian mode jazz and blues. I think that’s because of the concentration necessary to learn it. I know I’ll have to give songs I know the same concentration to improve my accuracy.

GibbyTwin and Stringbanger like this.
  15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Rhythm/feel, dynamics, arrangement, understanding of theory, fast learning, ear, ability to improvise, natural musicianship, willingness to play past the limits of my abilities even if I screw up, ability to recover from mistakes, professional reliability, a certain degree of well-placed apathy and lightheartedness: strong points.

Fast playing, flashy playing, lead playing [in general], pedals, technical equipment-type stuff, unwillingness to deal with other people's B.S., lack of extreme technical prowess, can't sight read well (though I can read): weak points.

16. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmmm...strengths? Being able to buy a guitar that I don't need because the price is right and my brain says to me, "Me likey!"

Lobomov, sonicsmitty, DonM and 3 others like this.
  17. Stringbanger

Nice post. Sounds almost too reputable to be true.

We might require pics soon!:D

24 track likes this.
  18. Stringbanger

Doesn’t have anything to do with playing the guitar.
    F131276C-F15C-4B51-9C0C-12DC3B923896.gif

19. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

:lol:

The chord stuff isn't instant; there's a lot of working stuff out (though there are always happy accidents). But a lot of my original ideas start with a melody I find (usually just by screwing around) that I then work out chords for. My music theory knowledge is solid enough but also far enough in my past that it informs me without restricting me (for a while there I was always playing by the "rules", and man, that was a terrible period).

As far as the "fearless" stuff goes, that's just what everybody else sees and hears. In reality I'm crapping my pants, hitting the fuzz and hoping for the best :cool:

Stringbanger and 24 track like this.
  20. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

You're right about the noun “forte,” meaning a strong point. It comes from French and by tradition should be pronounced like “Fort” Knox. The other pronunciation, FOR-tay, is a musical term, meaning loud, and comes from Italian.

So my forte is playing guitars for no apparent good reason and buying them. It takes skill. So I play an E-F-G on the first string a B-C-D on the second string a G-A on the third string and a D-E-F on the fourth string. By then I think I got it so I play a couple of phrases from Gloria and I buy or walk away. Never the less I play those notes well. :rolleyes:

stevemc, gwjensen, JL_LI and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.