what is your favourite tone and volume setting on your tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by aadvark, May 9, 2020.

1. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

I usually have both volume and tone fully open.

2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Twisted Tele/ Nocaster pickups

I spend a lot of time on the bridgepickup. The knobs stay busy sometimes

3. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Guitar:
    Tele Elite: Middle pickup Volume to my wife’s tolerance, Tone 10 S1 disengaged.

Amp: Blues Jr Master Dimed Volume 3 Treble 8 Bass 5 Reverb 0 FAT off
    Pedals
    Strymon Flint
    Reverb: Era 70’s Decay-12 Noon Mix-11AM Color-3 PM
    Tremolo: Off
    Danelectro Cool Cat Off

4. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

HaHa!!! Depending on which wife, that has ranged from mostly 0 up to 11 (on a good day)!

bcorig and BBQedIguana like this.
  5. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

always dimed. every time i turn down a volume or tone knob, it just sounds ****ty and muddy, on every guitar, through every amp. you can get different sounds with picking dynamics.

6. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

you can turn the knobs? Whodathunk

BBQedIguana likes this.
  7. vogt3074

vogt3074 NEW MEMBER!

All my Teles have 2 volumes / no tone. For the middle position I like the neck PU slightly dimmed (virtual on 8 or so)

8. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

And? :lol:

Even with the controls dimed, the tone cap type and value still make a huge difference. It's a myth that in order to tell the difference in tone caps that you need to roll the tone knob back before it does anything substantial. And the pot value does still very much matter as well as quality. Anything you put in that chain so to speak will have an effect. I'm not a gold-plated anything kind of guy, but I can sure tell an unquestionable difference between PIO vs orange drop vs chicklet caps in a guitar with the tone at 10. Now if putting them on 10 actually removed them from the circuit, I could see why it wouldn't matter. Just as pot taper doesn't really matter to me as much as how it sounds full up. But a pot rider would care about that.

But even when a pot is at 10, it's still very much making a difference to the tone. I've taken the same guitar and pickup, and ran it straight to the jack from the pickup, then putting a volume pot in between, and then putting a tone pot in there too. All 3 sound wildly different to me. The straight to the jack tone, the volume pot only tone, and the both volume and tone pot tone. With the same everything, just changing those components. Not using a switch to do it, but soldering and desoldering each time and wiring it direct.

So even though they are wide open, it doesn't remove them from the circuit. They are still changing the sound. You can take that same principle and apply it to how values and types of caps and pots might affect that so called "dimed" tone. And seeing as how I DO want both a volume and tone pot in the chain, I pick parts accordingly be it the tone cap type and value, pot quality and value, and even the switch and jack. I find that I actually don't like a pickup straight to the jack, it's a bit brash. But I try to refine the sound using the right pots and caps to make the top end more pleasing without muddying it up too much like some do. From a function standpoint, I'm fine with having no pots on the front of the guitar, but I like the tone better.

As far as knobs, I do change them yes. :D But that is just a matter of matching aesthetics from guitar to guitar and what I want to see, from a purely shallow perspective. I like the look of short domed top blackguard style knobs with some knurl to them, but nothing crazy. I'm not looking for monster truck tread.

Brett Valentine and Treehouse like this.
  9. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

I'm a bridge pickup wide open volume and tone guy.

I personally like a dead clean Blackfacey type amp and I step on pedals for all of the gain. I also sometimes use a lot of effects depending on the music I'm doing and I like the clean platform of a good Fender amp and a bridge pickup. If I want to darken it, I can use a EQ pedal or something. The amp and guitar are just a blank slate and I can paint all the colors I want with my pedalboard and that's why I love that setup so much. I think it's the definition of versatility.

My pedalboard has a volume pedal and a tuner with a mute, so I do all of the volume control and muting from there. It frees up my hands to just play.

10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

For the Telecasters, the starting point for me is:

Clean amp, mic'ed to the PA with a Shure SM57.
    Amp volume set to 4, and Bass, Middle, and Treble at 5.

Guitar Tone set to 6 and Volume around 7.
    (We don't have a sound man, so I need room to turn it up a bit for solo bits. If I start out at 10, I'm already maxed out with nowhere else to go but down.)

At the PA, I like to set the drums in the middle of the stage mix, the guitar panned slightly left, and the bass slightly right. I split the 4 vocal mics panned further left and right.

:)
    wellness day stage 2016.jpg

11. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

7 is money.

;)

boc foc.PNG

telerocker1988 likes this.
  12. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Wow this is perhaps the most enlightening and educational thread I’ve read on here. For two reasons. First, I expected a lot of “non-answer answers”: “tone is in the hands,” “it’s different on every guitar,” “changes with the room,” “how dare you ask; go run in traffic,” etc. While I think all of them are true to an extent, they also aren’t typically the answers this kind of question is being asked for. Second, the diversity of answers is refreshing! A fair distribution of “keep ‘em on 10” guys, “dial back the tone to x” guys, “dial back the volume to y” guys and “dial tone back to z and the volume back to b” guys, amongst others! Nice!

I use pedals for my drive and I have three on my board for stacking, so my volume stays at ten just about always. Tone is usually rolled off to about 7 on average but it gets adjusted frequently dependent on lots of factors. My home base is the middle position.

BBQedIguana likes this.
  13. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

14. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Bridge pickup, all pots on full.

telerocker1988 likes this.
  15. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

I don't have numbers on my tone/volume knobs, so they're usually wide open.

16. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

Here's what works for me:

I put all the controls on the amp to 5 and the guitar controls to 0.

I bring up the guitar Volume control to a comfortable level and then bring up the guitar Tone control until the "twang" starts.

17. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

I generally like to keep mine dimed and use a volume pedal for variations from rhythm to lead and so forth. Though since I've started playing Tele's more often the convenience of the volume knob's location has me rolling it with the pinky more often. When I played SG's I couldn't be bothered, they might as well have had no knobs at all. That's a considerable factor in choosing a guitar for me --- volume knob location. I hate it on Strats cause I always bump into it when picking. Gibsons - too damned far away. Tele's? JUST RIGHT.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.