1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is your favorite wiring option for tone pots on a strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Poca Distor, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Poca Distor

Poca Distor TDPRI Member

Yesterday i got a nearly new Squier Std strat. (incredible price).

I want to connect the tone pot to the bridge. I have been reading options online (TONE 1: N + M / TONE 2: B) (TONE 1: N / TONE 2: M + B).

Disconnecting the tone from the middle pickup don't convince me.

I didn't know that there was a whole issue about how loaded the pickus are when working with these combinations.

I see a lot of people using master tone on their strat and teles and there seem to be no problems. Is it a purist thing?

billy logan likes this.
  2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Since the 2nd tone pot is already connected to the middle pickup, just solder a small jumper wire from that lug to the lug next to it for the bridge pickup on the switch, and then that tone pot will work on the middle and bridge pickup. Don't worry. It won't negatively affect the sound quality in any way.

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

master tone. No fuss, easy. If not master tone, I'd do bottom knob for bridge tone, top knob for neck and mid.

On Teles, I like no tone control at all.. on a Strat, it's a must for me.

billy logan likes this.
  4. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

For S-S-S: Volume, tone, blend knob. I use the blend on a strat 10x more than I use the volume and 1000000000x more than I do the tone. If it didn’t look weird to have the blank spot, I would just have the blend knob and maybe the volume knob.

billy logan likes this.
  5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I always thought the two tone controls on a Strat were redundant. In a position that uses both, it never seemed to make a difference which I turned down, so why have both?

I have my Strat wired with standard 5-way switching, an S-1 switch for series options, a master bass cut control and a master treble cut using a no-load pot.

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've posted this alot
    it allows you to have a 3 way switch 1) N, 2) N/B, 3) B
    a separate volume for the mid pickup this allows you to use all pickups at once by dialing the mid pick us much or as little as you require
    I used a TBX tone circuit for the whole guitar

of my 6 pickguards 4 are wired this way

wiring 1.jpg

billy logan likes this.
  7. Poca Distor

Poca Distor TDPRI Member

Yes, I think I'll go this way. I know is a cheap strat, but I have 2 blackface heads, so I don't want to interfere too much with the wiring, and I don't want to disturb the neck pickup, ad neck + middle.

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

One tone for the bridge, one tone for the mid and neck.

9. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Tone pot on the bridge. No tone middle on the middle. I’m that weird guy that likes the middle pickup.

10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

If we're voting, my vote is for a blender. With a master tone knob in the middle.

Chester P Squier likes this.
  11. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I've got one with tone 1 on neck, tone 2 on bridge, and middle wide open; it works for that guitar, but the neck needs a higher value cap. Another one I messed up and the pots are interactive for the neck and middle position, but on middle and bridge, only tone 2 works. Third one is master volume, master tone (third hole is filled with a furniture tack), and I like that too.

12. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

1) Neck & Mid
    2) Bridge

13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

3 way switch (n,n+b,b),master vol,blend vol only for mid pickup,master tone.
    Perfection.

billy logan likes this.
  14. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Master Volume, Master Tone, Neck/bridge Blend
    It doesn't have to be "all or nothing"... I use it more like a tone control, a little bit is all you need sometimes.

Here is another one I ran for years...

Master Volume, Master tone, Master Tone 2 w/.001uF cap (.001 - .002 works well)
    When you turn down that 2nd tone it just takes the air/sizzle off the strat pickups and lowers the resonant frequency a little. Result: TELE-LIKE tones.

I hard wired this onto a mini-toggle on my strat to make room for the blend... otherwise I would still have it wired this way.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    billy logan likes this.
  15. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'm good with the vintage (3 way) wiring.

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The way I do it: Master volume, master tone with no-load, mini toggle to turn on the bridge pickup in any position.

20201015_112035.jpg

17. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

1.) Neck, 2.) Middle and Bridge

I basically live in positions 4 and 5 anyway, but i had an inch of cloth wire laying around so i figured why not do the middle/bridge mod.

18. pi

pi Tele-Meister

I use "Fezz Parka" wiring (aka 50s gibson wiring), with neck and bridge connected to tone controls.

19. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I switched the positions of my neck and middle pickups on my FCS ‘69 Stratocaster. Positions 1, 2, and 3 are just like a Telecaster with all three positions running through tone 2. Position 4 is neck and middle. Position 5 is middle alone through tone 1. Position 4 requires the use of both tone controls but I set both to 10 for that position. This probably sounds confusing but it took me about 10 minutes to get comfortable with it.

I have a more normal Strat with a toggle for seven sounds where tone 1 sets neck tone and tone 2 sets bridge and middle tone. I use either with equal facility but the option on my FCS is the one I prefer.

20. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

I wire my strats up with a pair of no load tone pots and a toggle switch that assigns the two pots to N/M, M/B, and N/B

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.