What is YOUR favorite T style builder and why?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by horax, Jun 12, 2019.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Fender. I have two absolutely outstanding, untouchable Fender Teles. I also have one very, very good one. And they have the "right" looking headstock and decal. The three Teles mentioned are a '02 spec-built, one-of-a-kind Custom Shop (Esquire, actually), a '58 AV, and an '04 Aerodyne (I'm the original owner).

G&L is second. The guitar is a limited run 2016 nitro-finished ASAt Classic. Very, very cool, very, very rare, and very-very good.

Sure, I assemble my own, as most of us do. But I am not counting that.

A Tele is not the kind of guitar I would bother to have an expensive guy build for me. We are in the golden age of to-spec parts assemblies and even at-home nitro finishing. I can do a to-spec parts assembly, home painted or professionally painted, totally authorized by Fender, for less than I would pay a guy to do the same thing from scratch, not authorized at all. This is not to say that the guitars from these guys are not good; of course they are. I just don't find my Teles lacking in some way that would cause me to feel I need these other builders' products. If I am gonna drop $2K on a Tele, I can get what I need from Fender proper, or by spec'ing a top-notch parts assembly myself.

Also, the cosmetics matter to me. I need to have a good looking headstock design. And I have never seen one I like, outside of Fender and G&L.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

My own work :), in all modesty
    I know that everything from stringretainer screw to the handwound pickups are simply perfect. I only use the best parts available.
    My Teles sound like early Fifties and they play like today :cool:

DF6B1BC7-13F5-4BAD-BEA1-B43165A29108.jpeg

0B5DB976-2212-4545-AA41-403909ECD72A.jpeg

5F6D66F6-0997-4591-B517-D01E6F1D0E8E.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  3. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

Here's my Forrest Lee Jr. He will build you whatever you want, and he is a super nice guy to work with.

IMG_3787.JPG
    IMG_3788.JPG
    IMG_3783.JPG
    IMG_3786.JPG

Attached Files:

4. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Doesn't matter. A tele car does not depend on the manufacturer. It is all about put together good parts on it.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful guitar; what bridge it that?

stefanhotrod likes this.
  6. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Fender. The original is good enough for me.

7. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Fender, because I can't afford a custom build.

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, but what's he done lately? :twisted:

And do you mean FRS, K&F, FEIC, MM or G&L? :twisted:

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

All of my Teles are Fender. They do everything I need at a price I can afford.

However, if I wanted something exotic, or outside of the standard Fender offerings, i would probably go with Ron Kirn, just based on his posts here. I think the Fender Custom Shop does great work, but I think the price is out of the range of what I'm willing to spend for a bolt neck guitar.

10. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

Man, there are so many great builders: RS, MJT, Nash, SENN, Danocaster, Fender, Virgil's Vintage, Underwood, Hess, K-Line. It's like I discover a new builder/assembler ever week.

TeleTown likes this.
  11. stefanhotrod

Thanks. It‘s a Truarc Serpentune in raw Alu on a handcrafted raw Alu bridge base.

29807594-8489-485E-B162-FA41294CAEAF.jpeg

The neckpocket on this Thinline is angled for the B16 so it doesn’t need a shim- real wood to wood contact.

Norrin Radd likes this.
  12. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I like assembling my own , but I have nothing against any of them.
    Even though they are very basic things , there are , as you all know , soo many options.
    Isn't it great ?

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

As I've related here (too) many times, my #1 (avatar) has been modded so many times, that there is simply NO stock, off-the-line guitar to match it. If I wanted another, I would HAVE to have it custom built, or do it myself, as I have done all the "improvements" on my own. I wouldn't have the skills or equipment to tackle a "from scratch" build, but I can easily buy what parts and components I want from ebay, Amazon, and Warmoth.
    From what I've read on TDPRI, there are MANY great builders around. I would lean toward Ron Kirn or Bob Logan, mainly because from what I've witnessed, people like and respect them as much for being great guys as much (maybe even more) than their build qualities. I suspect we REALLY are experiencing a "GOLDEN AGE" of guitar building.....and it's a BLAST!!!!!!!

El Tele Lobo, matrix and stefanhotrod like this.
  14. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Chihoe Hahn. Without a doubt. I am the lucky owner of a Model “C” (his Jim Campilongo signature model). I have not owned or played a better tele-style guitar, and not seen a better electric at twice the price. And at a price that was well below Fender Custom Shop. Actually, on par with a top line USA Fender.

I have been looking at the Lucky Dog site lately. I like his style...some are bit too “barn-caster relic” for my taste, but some very cool innovations and aesthetics.

El Tele Lobo and nojazzhere like this.
  15. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Dr Frankenstein he finds body parts etc on ebay

16. stefanhotrod

My problem with all those 7ender CS guitars and even Masterbuilds is lacquer and Hardware. Cool guitars for sure but who really wants nitro over poly (just for the look) or cheap mass product hardware on a high end guitar besides over the top relicing?

Davecan, El Tele Lobo and matrix like this.
  17. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I don't know how his custom builds are priced, but he also sells "shop guitars" that he makes and keeps in stock in the shop. He usually has a Bowery Pine Tele or two in stock. My Kellycaster is a "shop guitar" - Swamp Ash Mary Kaye White T-style with a "Fatback" neck profile and Fralin Stock pickups (I later put a Fralin Blues in the neck).

It is a GREAT guitar, but pretty basic. It cost $1900 in 2014, I would guess it to be near the bottom of Rick's price ranges, and prices may have increased since then.

I can say this: best $1900 I ever spent! And Rick threw in a nice gig bag, a Kelly Guitars T-shirt, a photo with him in his wood shop, and he let my son play the piano (rescued from some recently-closed historic venue in the Village) while we chatted.

Mary Kaye Tele.jpg

18. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

These two in particular.

1BBFF2BE-3466-4646-8D13-2F5FE5441A28.jpeg

DonM likes this.
  19. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Wow! Neither one of those jokes worked! :oops::twisted:

nojazzhere and horax like this.
  20. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

No one has mentioned poor little Squier yet.

Asmith likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.