What is your favorite overdrive/distortion pedal into a clean amp?

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
95% of the time, one of these does the trick.

DSC07485.JPG

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
Depends on what you mean by "clean amp." If you mean clean but still with the volume up enough to get the power tubes and speaker cooking a bit, then the world is your oyster. Most every classic OD pedal will sound good in that situation, it's just a matter of taste (do you want boosted mids? bright? warm? etc). But if you mean a clean amp that isn't being pushed, then I would probably go with an amp-in-a-box type pedal in that situation. Catalinbread and Wampler both make some good ones. I think most of the popular OD circuits need a pushed amp to sound really good. Need is maybe a bit too strong a word. But they don't sound as good unless the amp is being pushed.

SpaceAceman

Tele-Meister
Really depends on what I'm going for

Molten Modern Metal? Metal Muff
Generic Metal classic to modern - Suhr Riot or Wampler Mini Plexi
80's in a box - Boss Digital Metalizer
Raspy to rock to fuzz? Rat

My top boxes though, in no order: Suhr riot, Wampler Mini Plexi, Washburn Stack In A Box, Ibanez DS9M, Proco SOlo

OD: Ibanez TS9, Stamps Drive-O-Matic

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
I have to say it's the one I recently finished building from a kit

A KOT clone - the "Two Kings" pedal

I built it with the "high gain" option on just the "red side" or right side of the pedal, so I can get anything from a hint of clean boost to full-on distortion - all out of one pedal, and it's all good tone - nothing fizzy or fuzzy about it

I don't claim to understand exactly how it works (it has a ton of resistors, caps, diodes, transistors, etc) but it doesn't detract from, or change the sound of your guitar and amp - it just enhances it

It works great with the Fender amps I've run it through as well as through my Mesa and Orange

It replaces the handful of boosts and over-drives that I've accumulated over the years

* For an equally good pedal without distortion capability, I'll go with the Ghost pedal - it's a clone of the Klon - it sounds fantastic running through a clean amp - very similar to the Two Kings in the way it doesn't change the character of the guitar and amp - it just enhances it

sirshackleton

Tele-Meister
I really like the Greer Lightspeed or Strymon Deco tape saturation section into clean Fender-type amps. I don't need an OD to be super-transparent (in fact, I like it when they have a little bit of character), and both of those do a good job of heating things up without totally changing the tone.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
Turbo Rat with the gain at 10 o’clock or below is hard to beat.

So funny how people always answer this question with basically their favorite overdrive instead of really focusing on circuits that are geared to clean and/or low volume amps.

Along with the Rat, the other circuit that is well proven to excel in this vein is the Zendrive and its variants.

Last edited:

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
JHS Doublebarrel into Tonemaster Deluxe. does everything i want.

i have a bunch of ODs, but they are gathering dust these days.

tomasz

Tele-Afflicted
I have 2 I use right now, one is the tech 21 Oxford, and the other the JHS AT/Angry Charlie. It really depends on the mood-