1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is your favorite fender case?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Tried to find some information on this but couldn't find much on it really. Like when did fender use the center pocket? When did they use the side pocket? What years did they use gold or orange plush? Sometime those two are very similar.

I really dig the tweed center pocket cases with the orangish plush (can't actually find one in full gold) but when did they make those? Could a 1955 tele have came with one, or would it have only been red plush? Obviously, just like today cases could have easily been swapped around and somebody may have put a 61 tele in a 54 case and vice versa.

I also really like the tweed thermometer cases with gold/orange plush. Not sure which of the two cases I like better but I know I prefer the gold or orange plush over the red in either case (no pun intended).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  2. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I liked the old black ones with the raised amp logo on them, but honestly the plastic 90s ones are lighter fit better and are maybe more protective. Definitely not as cool.

3. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

I like the little tweed thermometer one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  4. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Looking cool is half of the battle though...

Not really.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  5. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

My favorite is the G&G Deluxe brown one. But it screams, “Steal me!”

6. Vocalion

Vocalion TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Is there such a thing as Case Acquisition Syndrome? This keeps showing up in my Facebook feed, and I'm trying hard to resist because my Baja would look amazing in there. I just can't justify the current asking price.

7. Vocalion

Vocalion TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

8. TN Tele

TN Tele TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Looks wise the thermometer case pictured above is the most beautiful of the Fender branded cases followed by the tweed, but I prefer the Fender Deluxe Molded Tele/Strat case for the airline locks and additional padding. There are several non Fender cases that are even more protective, bulkier and more costly.

9. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

The actual fender cases are extremely hard to find
    Other than looking cool they are actually pretty terrible cases

Absolutely no padding

As far as looks my favorite old cases are the blonde one’s from around 62-63

Also one thing I find interesting is cases were always extra and the guitars didn’t come with them like some do today

So it’s a very real possibility that your 55 fender could have a 59 case that was ordered later but is the only case that guitar ever saw

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

The brand spaknin' new ones. Hard body, molded, plush on the inside. I like that it can take a little drop or a tap or a rainy day and not mess up my guitar. Sorry, I know that's the wrong answer. But it's "almost" a flight case. That's what I like.

11. maj34

maj34 Tele-Holic

I've got a few different cases.

For years, one of the older (90s? 00s?) injection molded cases was my favourite. Might even be SKB with Fender logo?

I flew with it a number of times (in hindsight, stupid, but I got away with it a lot -- private charters though, maybe better).

It's still my go-to when I want good protection but takes up least space in the car.

But now I have a Gator TSA case. If I want it a bit more protected this is what I grab. Love those latches!

Least favourite: Gator standard Fender case... cracked on the end first time I used it.

SRHmusic likes this.
  12. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Always preferred the '90's key-shape cases with the red logo. Takes up so much less space, better balanced, less bulk so you don't bang it into the walls going through doors.

telleutelleme and scelestus like this.
  13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like the Rectangular cases.
    I can store a lot of stuff in one and they stack well for travel and storage.

BFcaster and SRHmusic like this.
  14. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

I am open to being proven wrong but I would guess that there are 2 or 3 factories in Asiathat make most of the worlds cases and just slap different names on them. (Yes there’s probably some nice handmade in the USA ones out there too).

Milspec and 41144 like this.
  15. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I own both of these cases, and both would be accurate if you're going for 50's. The thermometer case is the earliest of the 2, and would've come with a 51 or 52 if I recall correctly. The T case is definitely super cool in looks, and my Nocaster looks awesome in it, but from a practicality perspective it isn't because there's not much room in it for anything else other than the guitar and strap. If you want to be historically accurate, you need to find one in brown tolex, not tweed. AFAIK they never came in tweed originally.

As for the center pocket case, I love it. It's roomy and fits either tele or strat. I went through the trouble of actually laquering the tweed on mine. It was a real PITA to do but it looked 10x better afterwards. It really has that 50's look now, and is getting patina on it just like the originals.

16. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I like the red-lined 60s/70s ones. A bit more compact than modern cases, well built... That red lining does it though. Really feels special to open those cases. The late 90s no-amp-logo ones with the Cheney latches are great too though and have a fairly similar lining. Really high quality cases and reasonable price used.

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

The classic black or tweed rectangle cases.
    I have some molded that I used too.
    They can take a beating and keep on ticking.
    Always too nervous about any soft stuff.

18. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Tweed for my Tele and Black for my Strat. Don't know why, but that's just the way it is!

19. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Why YES...yes, there is...thank you for asking :oops:.

Telekarster likes this.
  20. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Afflicted

I agree. I don't know if it's true or not, and no way in hell I'd ever try it, but when I was a kid and first started playing music in the mid 60's I was told you could run-over one those black Fender cases with a car and the guitar would be fine.

Chester P Squier and Tommy Biggs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.