What is your favorite emotive guitar solo?

pixeljammer

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
looking for listening recommendations similar to Gilmour in Comfortably Numb.

i.e. Those players who can reach deep into the heart of the listener in music that rolls along at a slow ballad pace.

Thank you.

Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond parts I-IV.

ElJay370

Tele-Afflicted
Eddie’s entire career was virtually one long guitar solo, but he seems so focused and serious on this track that it stands out for me. Everything everyone loved about him is there

pixeljammer

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
Every solo Adrian Belew played during his time with Talking Heads.
There are songs from Frank Zappa I like a lot, but I was never much into his guitarplaying. With the exception of "Watermelon In Easter Hay", probably one of the simpliest, but most emotionally moving songs he ever did.

The guitar tone/reverb/hyper-compression reminds me of the sound on Big Log by Robert Plant. Do you hear that, too?

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Michael Lee Firkins guitar work on the song "End of the Beginning" for Jason Becker's Perspective album.

MatsEriksson

Friend of Leo's
Bluest Blues by Alvin Lee, 1994. Pretty late into his career. Tops anything that he did with TYA. A criminally underrated gem. However, here's the bomb: The slide solo is played by none other that George Harrison. Melancholic and then some. Same "vibe" as C-numb. I think, in hindsight, this is the best I've heard from both George and Alvin. Ever. Alvin takes the outtro fade out lead here.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
looking for listening recommendations similar to Gilmour in Comfortably Numb.

i.e. Those players who can reach deep into the heart of the listener in music that rolls along at a slow ballad pace.

Thank you.

Okay, since everyone is going to pick Pink Floyd, I'll go with

Of course I could pick many others more worthy, but Rothery deserves some cred. Link starts too early, but whatever YT sucks. It's the Chelsea Monday solo.

Edit: And, yes, I was a Marillion fan (Fish era only) for years. Not ashamed!

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Mine is Eric Johnson’s second solo on Desert Rose, on Ah Via Musicom.
The last solo is pretty devastating, too.

Last edited:

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Gilmour on 'On An Island.' (Bonus Snowy White content in this live version.)

- D

That's Phil Manzanera playing with Gilmour (Snowy White has played with Waters since Floyd days, I don't think he's worked with solo Gilmour).
And here's some more Phil Manzanera, with great soulful guitar playing on the original version of Diamond Head:

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I bet you haven't heard this: BAP playing Ahn'ner Leitplank, a great outro solo from Klaus Heuser (from about 3:40).

(The song is in the Kölsch dialect spoken in the Köln / Cologne area of Germany. It's about seeing the site of an accident where somebody has been knocked down and killed. The title means something like At The Crashbarrier - the singer sees flowers left there and imagines the police and the ambulance in the middle of the night, the evidence covered with sand as if nothing has happened and the daily traffic flows on as usual.)

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
That's Phil Manzanera playing with Gilmour (Snowy White has played with Waters since Floyd days, I don't think he's worked with solo Gilmour).
And here's some more Phil Manzanera, with great soulful guitar playing on the original version of Diamond Head:

Crap, you're right! Should have recognized the snake on his guitar!

I stand corrected. Thanks.

- D