1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is your favorite blues TONE?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by REDstrat55, Jul 11, 2020.

1. padreraven

padreraven Tele-Meister

Why would I laugh? The Animals were a really good group, with good blues background.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  2. padreraven

padreraven Tele-Meister

One more memory -- in 1970 I saw Albert King open for the Steve Miller Band in Seattle. If I had been Steve Miller, I wouldn't have wanted to come out after that. Miller did do fine, but King stole the show from him. That's as good as I've ever heard electric blues.

BB and albatros like this.
  3. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

This:

4. ScottTunes

ScottTunes TDPRI Member

Grant Green's ES330 in his Blue Note years (early 60s) through the tweed Deluxe is my all time favorite tone! Joe Pass always seemed to have great tone as well.

dannyh likes this.
  5. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

Clean mostly, little bit of overdrive when needed

6. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

double post error

7. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

kookaburra, BB and Jim622 like this.
  8. Bearston

Bearston TDPRI Member

1 guitar
    1 amp
    1 soul full o' blue

9. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Kenny Burrell on midnight blue

dannyh likes this.
  10. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Offhand I'd say BB King. Somehow he manages to be both piercing and sweet at the same time. He has the most perfect attack.

albatros and BB like this.
  11. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

He uses a Lovepedal Tchula as his base tone. He talks about it in some of his interviews.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    REDstrat55 likes this.
  12. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

My sound preference is an older Marshall or a Tweed, the actual 50s tweeds, that is, with any guitar has pickups that output-wise are low to vintage hot in output.

The old Marshalls are generally very loud, but a low watt tweed of some sort can get me there without blowing peoples ears off. I have a Tungsten Mosaic II (5f2 clone, tweaked) that can get me there nicely with most of my guitars. I also had pretty good sounds using a Marshall JMP II with master volume. I'm talking fairly low gig volume.

That said, I've heard some pretty good blues bands playing pawn shop rigs. Guys that blow me off the map. And of course, clean Fenders have proven their worth many times over. I've played the blues with a clean Fender myself, and had a blast.

Then there is Rory Gallagher on a Vox*...seems like just about anything will do if you have the spirit!

*Rory probably would sound great playing a Gorilla

13. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

There's not just one.

I got hooked on blues by Cream. So you're talking a Gibson with humbuckers into a Plexi or a Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker.

But I also love Clapton's playing on Layla (and later albums like From the Cradle). Strat into a cranked up Champ on Layla, supposedly. I suppose Duane was playing a Les Paul, also into a small amp.

Or BB King. Completely different tone than either version of Clapton.

Steady Rollin Bob Margolin played on what may be the best sounding blues album ever, El Dorado Cadillac by Billy Boy Arnold. I don't know what he was using.

I love Muddy's slide work, and Hubie Sumlin backing up the Wolf. Muddy was clean, while Hubie often sounded like his amp was about to explode.

Robert Johnson's finger picking and slide playing. Doc Watson's acoustic blues.

Kenny Neal.

Derek Trucks. SG straight cord into a BF Super Reverb (or a similar custom build amp).

My favorite blues tone for my playing comes from my lungs and a Hohner Special 20 into an Astatic JT30 mic (with or without the Rod Piazza "hot rod" mod) through a Boss 7 band equalizer with the highs taken out and the mids boosted into a a Lone Wolf Blues Company Harp Train Model 10 with the "balls" cranked. I can eliminate the equalizer if I'm playing through my modded-for-harp Blues Deluxe, which is about 35 watts post-mod. I just turn the treble all the way down.

If I'm playing guitar, it's a Strat in the 2nd position into a Fender Custom Shop EC Vibro Champ (vibe, reverb and Klon clone pedals optional). Or a Tele into my Tweaker 40 (on which I've found a sound that's similar to a Tweed Bassman).

14. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Thanks for posting that. Fortunate to have seen him play in Los Angeles not long prior. What a sound (guitar and voice). The commitment and passion -- to the songs, to the instrument, to the audience -- were singular and extraordinary. Gone way too soon.

wrathfuldeity likes this.
  15. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Afflicted

American Pro LE pine tele, Lollar’s Charlie Christian neck pickup hooked to AC30 with blue alnicos. Not that I play much blues, but the tone is great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.