1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is your favorite blues TONE?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by REDstrat55, Jul 11, 2020.

1. timbgtr

timbgtr TDPRI Member

Especially for this list ...

To this day, the greatest blues tone I ever heard was almost 50 years ago—Roy Buchanan at the Crossroads in Bladensburg, MD, playing the bridge pickup on a vintage Tele straight into a Vibrolux Reverb with its back facing the audience. Been chasing it ever since.

kookaburra and larsjm like this.
  2. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Jimi - Isle of Wight Red House, with the Flying V, love that woody reedy tone

If you haven't heard of Chris Cain, do yourself a favor and check out his youtube vids. =Might be the sweetest 335 blues tone ever :cool: - And Kirk Fletcher is no slouch here either! :cool:

lousy13 likes this.
  3. mrfitz98

mrfitz98 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

That guitar tone on those early Howlin' Wolf records just screams Chicago Blues for me.

The loud screaming guitar thing is such a different thing from what I think when I think Blues Tone. How about Elmore James? If you play with the right attitude through a small(ish) tube amp I don't think you can go wrong.

Is it just me, or do all these loud screaming guitars kinda have the same tone?

lousy13 and driver8 like this.
  4. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

Roy Buchanan
    The most underrated guitar player of all time, period, as evidenced by the fact it took 6 pages on a TELECASTER discussion forum before his name was even mentioned for blues tone. His blues tone was the epitome of blues tone.

5. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

I love the tone(s) that Eric Clapton got on his live version of "Stormy Monday" in 2006 at Royal Albert Hall.

If I just had his fingers........

6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Blues shouldn't be something you plan, it's what happens in the spur of the moment.

kookaburra, albatros and Tim S like this.
  7. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

IMO Monster Mike Welch has exquisite tone and touch. Really surprising setup too, he gets it from running low gain OD into a compressor. I never would have guessed that in a million years.

stevemc, lousy13 and driver8 like this.
  8. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Chicago tone :cool:

9. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

This is a rabbit hole if I've ever seen one. : ) I'm a less is more guy so, Fender Tele or strat, with 57 Deluxe.

10. enorbet2

enorbet2 TDPRI Member

By definition Blues Tone is now a Traditional affair. It should be obvious that all the guitarists that created the sound of Electric Guitar, all the way back to Django and Charlie, used every conceivable kind of guitar so I think the guitar matters little. What matters is Cranked Amps, mostly Tube Amps and despite that some like BB, Magic Sam and Mike Bloomfield played Twin Reverb amps (and a few others) mostly clean, the bulk of the body of work that created Blues Tone was smaller, simpler, cheaper amps pushed HARD! ... and since there were no Master Volume controls "in the heyday" that means only a little preamp overdrive but Power Amps pushed HARD! Nothing else has THAT dynamic response that changes so beautifully, touch-sensitively, subtle and vocal.

driver8 likes this.
  11. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

Of course, the fingers have a little to do with it. :)

joebloggs13 and BB like this.
  12. richardmp

richardmp TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Albert's Shuffle by Mike Bloomfield on Super Session. 59' sunburst Gibson Les Paul standard thru a Fender Twin Reverb.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    kookaburra and driver8 like this.
  13. Fern

Fern TDPRI Member

I'm not into Clapton, either before or after Cream, but he had my favorite all time blues tone for me. 1. Spoonful (studio version on the album Fresh Cream), using a Les Paul with a "starting to break up" tube amp (Marshall blues breaker amp or something tone-wise equivalent). 2. Sitting on Top of the World, live, from the Goodbye album. 3. Crossroads, live, ES335. This is the only blues music that I've ever been into personally.
    Alan Holdsworth's (R.I.P.) horn like tone, with his outrageous jazz musicality would have made a great jazz-blues tone. I guess I march to a different drum. I'm weird I guess.

14. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

73 telecaster pearly gates in the bridge through ac 15 normal channel .Cranked to slight breakup.

15. tsneff

tsneff TDPRI Member

Wampler Tumnus, connected to Wampler Ethereal, Direct into my custom 5F1 Champ. With either my 93’ Tele, or Gibson Memphis ES Les Paul sounds like blues heaven

16. john sammers

john sammers NEW MEMBER!

I heard Robben Ford in Sydney playing his '67 Epiphone Riviera (with the mini buckers) through a Dumble and I swear I almost cried...My best is my Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed reissue with the full Fromel mods with my swamp ash telecaster with Fralin pups - no pedals.

Jlwctn likes this.
  17. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

Two words (one name): Matt Schofield

REDstrat55 likes this.
  18. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I was going to mention both Buddy Guy and Tab Benoit. If someone beat me to Tab Benoit and I didn't catch it, then count me as an additional vote. LOVE his tone.

papa32203 and PhredE like this.
  19. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Fender American Performer Tele with a neck humbucker. Added a 4 way switch. My favorite tone is position 4, neck and bridge in series through a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver upgraded by Analogman into a Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue with a Shure SM 57 mic in front of it.

20. rjs1

rjs1 TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.