1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is your favored .22 LR?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele salivas, Feb 26, 2013.

1. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I live one block from the Tulsa Fairgrounds, where arguably the largest gun show in the world , WANNEMACHER'S, is held twice a year. Next one is April 6 &7. It would be very easy to go broke, given proclivity to buying effects, amps,steel guitar, replacing bent and twisted Jeep parts, and my life long passion for target shooting. In high school I was on the rifle club, I've had pistols, revolvers, bolt action Winchesters, full auto SKS (w/banana clips), various shotguns, mini-14, etc.....but I have not had the pleasure of owning a semi-auto .22 LR!
    I am wanting this something fierce...

new ruger11100.jpg

It's a Ruger 10/22 LR Takedown. Very easy to breakdown. great for backpacking, shoots straight, easy to care for, and it looks sharp, ammo is inexpensive. Newer version apparantly is threaded for suppressor.
    What .22 long range do you prefer or have your scope set on?

(please, no politics or religion, we can do this, right?):lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I always wanted a marlin 22 when I was a kid..never did..they just looked so cool. in
    the sears catalog.
    enjoy

3. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

That's a cool looking 22. I have a Remington single shot from the early 40's. Its beat to heck but it is a great shooter. But I always thought I should have a semi auto. BTW, I thought L.R. meant Long Rifle.

4. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

I had a TC 22 classic with Nikon 9X scope that a good buddy talked me out of. What a fantastic 22! The great thing about a Ruger 10/22 is it's a wonderful platform to customize because there is so much aftermarket parts and accessories for it.

5. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

The 10/22 is the small block Chevy, 1911 .45 acp, Telecaster, right out of the box. .22 simiauto rifle is a limited offering but all manufacturers offer one. Ruger is a well thought out piece. Out of the box it shoots very tight groups for long distances, 50 yards plus. A lot of ammo can be used to pullout that accuracy. One of these is on my wish list. My outlaws have them. Fun guns.

6. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

My dad has a Remington .22 LR with a scope. He's had it since he was way younger than I am now, but it'll still drive tacks. It's a lot of fun. These days, though, we spend more time shooting his BSA break-barrel .177 air rifle, because we can shoot it in my folks' big backyard. We walk out on the second-story deck, throw an empty bean can as far as we can into the yard, then take turns plinking at it.

Good times. My dad was an ROTC Rifle Team champion, and he taught me everything I know about shooting. He never misses; I rarely miss. :p

7. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

The Ruger 10/22 in its various forms is a great gun. Unfortunately, .22 LR ammo availability is a problem right now and the prices have gone way up--when you can even find it. I have had to cut back on my target shooting recently because I can't easily replace what I shoot.

8. tele salivas

It does. That's what I get for posting before coffee, personal idioms abound.

Jamie Black said, "The great thing about a Ruger 10/22 is it's a wonderful platform to customize because there is so much aftermarket parts and accessories for it"

I concur. The prospect of various optics and sights and suppressors is especially enticing with the Ruger. Plus , I thought it would be a good piece to get my wife into target shooting, after she has some time with a single-shot bolt action.

Dr. Bill said, "The Ruger 10/22 in its various forms is a great gun. Unfortunately, .22 LR ammo availability is a problem right now and the prices have gone way up--when you can even find it. I have had to cut back on my target shooting recently because I can't easily replace what I shoot."

I'm hoping there will be more of the Takedown models available by the time Wannemacher rolls around. last I heard, sellers were having a time keeping them in stock. Wasn't aware of the .22 ammo situation.

9. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

do it! its cheap and fun ive had lots of guns..you cant beat that ruger

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

the gun I use several times a week around the ranch to scare off and dispatch varmints is a little, inexpensive savage .22 rifle... bought it at Big 5 for 180.00 brand new...

really accurate, inexpensive to shoot and I think I scared off the one coyote that was a little to close to my 11 lb dog... and some field varmints that have been making trouble for the cattle....

really fun little gun for target shooting, but not fancy at all.

11. tele salivas

Here's a video of a fella havin' a ball with his Takedown. Looks to be pretty secure with the bx-25 magazine.

Yeah, I think this is the one to get. Now I just have to decide on the particulars.

12. getbent

that is pretty cool engineering...

let me know if you get it and what you pay for it....

nice!

13. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

I have a 10/22 I bought years ago. I used to do a lot of shooting, but the Ruger has been sitting at my Dad's house for a while. My wife is not comfortable having firearms in the house with younger kids, but now that they are getting older its time to dust it off and teach my son about gun safety and shooting.

My older son started shooting when he was about 14 at the local shooting range. He moved up to skeet and became very accomplished at it, winning several events. It served him well, into the US Marine Corp.

Anyway, like Mechanic said, the 10/22 is the Chevy SB / Telecaster of the shooting world. The only issue with mine was that long ago, it fell in my pickup, and bent the sites. I plan to replace the front and rear sites with something a little better, and take it on our next camping trip.

14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not a fan of the 10/22 myself. As kids one of my brothers had one and I had a Winchester 190. The 190 was the better shooter of the two and didn't jam as often as the Ruger.
    Maybe that 10/22 was just a bad one because most people love the things.

15. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I like the Marlin Model 60.

For about the last year, whenever I did something at the local gun store (Computer, surveillance camera install) In lieu of cash, I allowed him to pay me in 500 round bricks of .22.

I'm set for life!

16. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

I am a huge fan of the .22 ( S,L and L.R. ). My favorite .22 Semi - Auto rifles are still the old Remington Nylon 66 and 77 ( clip fed and tube fed versions ). I have both. Light, tough as crap, easy to break down and clean and very accurate. The Ruger 10/22 is a great choice also. A really cool one is the Walther bullpup .22 rilfe. I bought one a few years ago and it is one of my favorites. Wannamacher's is easily the biggest show I have ever been to. This year's will be crowded like they are giving something away.

17. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

I have one like the first pic...love it.

When my former stepson turned 12 I bought him a .22 Henry brass frame rifle...

he was tagging the steel on his first go round...showed up us old farts! :eek::lol:

18. getbent

Not the case. Read the rules. Discussions about purchasing, owning, maintaining firearms is completely within the bounds of the rules here.

If you aren't interested in guns or have political views about them (pro or con) don't bring it here.

YOU are making it political and your example is strange and not even necessarily a violation...

So, if you don't like guns, don't read gun threads. If you think a thread has violated the rules, don't post that in the thread, report it with the report button.

Of late, we have to send the 'reporter' as many emails letting them know that the thread DID NOT violate the rules as emails to folks warning them.

Ignore stuff you don't like... especially if it doesn't violate the rules!

19. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I love .22s & have an old BRNO, a CZ target model, a Remington 541S & a couple others. These are scoped bolts. I sight in @ 50 yds.

Have always dug those Ruger semis since their intro.

20. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Ruger 10/22 in stainless steel with synthetic stock. Lovely rifle. A bit picky about ammo. Non-copper-coated plain lead bullets often get hung up on the feed ramp. Coated ones are fine and function flawlessly. A nice silver-coloured 9X scope and all the vicious tin cans and pieces of paper around tremble in fear!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.