What is your "Do Everything" Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Walker, Feb 23, 2020.

1. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Fender Tonemaster Twin

sleeperNY likes this.
  2. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Excelsior! :D

Just a home player, and this gives me great lower volume cleans, great OD (using the Weber MicroMass to attenuate if I don't want to scare the neighbors) great tremolo, and an old KMD analog delay for ambiance from reverby to slap-back. Been using this setup with my 2001 '52 AVRI, and it's my favorite combo to play. Can dial in many great tones with this, and the EHX Hum Debugger really makes playing much more enjoyable, not having to move around to that one spot in the room that doesn't hum.

Exy Weber Tele Pedals.jpg

3. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I got a deal on one of these (Blackstar ID:Core Beam) NIB for $140. It works for electric, acoustic, and bass. It has 12 voices, can be hooked up to the computer to tweak settings, has bluetooth, and stereo effects. With this and my RK Fly Rig I can rule the world!

[​IMG]

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

If I could only have one amp it would be my DRRI.

[​IMG]

DaphneBlue likes this.
  5. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

75% of the time I am direct to FOH/Monitors/IEM's so the HELIX Is my primary "do everything" amp/pedal.

For the rest of the time, I use a modest pedal board into a mid 80's Peavey Special 130. Loud enough for any stage and with the mid sweep I can get it to mimic many different voicings. The amp never lets me down, and surprises many when they learn what I am using :)

6. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

Nervous excitement answering this question! Before there were a number of options in the market like the ZT and Crate powerblock, I got a Dayton Audio APA 150 and built a preamp to put infront of it. It will put out 150 watts RMS in bridge mono, but in all but the heaviest situations running one channel at 75 watts has always been plenty. I put together a 10" cab to run it through with an Eminence Delta 10a. The amp fits in a small duffel bag. One trip from the car. It has played many stages and styles over the last 10 years.

Tim S likes this.
  7. geminitiger

geminitiger TDPRI Member

Blackstar HT1R MKii little 1watt all valve home amp,lovely little thing

8. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I built an amp loosely based on 5E3. Then a friend madscientisted it up. So I don't know what exactly it is, need to try and trace it someday.

1. Pentode (EF86) on a switch. To cascade to 12AX7 triode or parallel it to 12AX7, which is cascaded to another 12AX7. Somewhere in there is a cold clipping stage, too.
    2. Cathodyne Bias, big grid stopper, and MV in front.
    3. VVR
    4. BAX tonestack
    5. 6V6 Power Section
    6. NFB Switch: None, 5E3, Lots
    7. 5V4 rectifier

You can dial up an insane range of stuff with this. When it works (See, the "I need to trace it someday").
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  9. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

It all depends on whether or not specific pedals are required to get that desired sound. Some of my amps do that one trick so well. Others need the addition of that specific pedal, or two, sometimes three.

A few other amps, just get loud and sweet so quickly, requiring the guitar knobs to be rolled in either direction to achieve versatile bliss. My Dr. Z Monza, or Ceriatone Express don’t need pedals.

Amps like my Vibro Champs can be dimed, or not, guitar knobs dimed or not, pedals involved, or not. Sometimes I use both with a pedal that has stereo capabilities.

However, my Mesa 5 25 Express plus combo, with a speaker change to a Jensen Neo, can easily be tweaked to cover the most ground, at a manageable grab and go size. The addition of a single versatile mod pedal takes you farther. It can get as loud as needed to get the job done. I have sold off most of my 50-60 watt, and all of my 100 watt amps.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Lef T likes this.
  10. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

I’m only a home player and my go to amp for almost 7 years has been a Vox Mini-5 Rhythm. It can do everything and has been rock solid since the day I brought it home. We even use it for karaoke nights. I’ve had lots of other amps before and after but nothing has had the flexibility or ease of use that the little Vox has. It is staying with me until one of us dies...and if it goes first I’ll be buying another to replace it :)

11. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Did the Fender Super-Sonic fall out of favor? Seems to me that it used to get alot of love. I never see anyone post anything about them anymore. Or did mis-read the room back then?

12. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

The Fender Super Reverb in my Avatar...does it all and so much more!!

13. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Meister

Deluxe reverb....

14. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

20180222_132647.jpg

Lil Dawg tweed deluxe. 12 watts that can pull off any gig these days.
    Playing it clean at home is magical. Playing it crunchy at home is exciting.
    Jim is making me a 5b3 which should be done fairly soon I would think. I'm also having a 5f11 built by Sound of Shoals. Those might become a "do it all amp" too. We'll have to wait and see.

zephyrR1 likes this.
  15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

MIII

16. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Fender Pro Jr.

Daytona.57 likes this.
  17. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Tele-Meister

I'd say my Fender Tonemaster DR. I've got much "better" amps both bigger and smaller, but this is so darn light and the DI out with cab/mic sim is the bees knees. I cant think of any reason to lug anything else to a gig (when gigs are back) when the tonemaster is like the tesla car of amps.. So well engineered and designed!

Heck, even Mr. Black pedals dug my rig!

[​IMG]
    Sounds like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8aBQNSHF2h/

18. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Which one?!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

19. Mikesk

Mikesk TDPRI Member

Another vote for Katana 100.

20. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

Mesa TA-30 is full of great tones that really limits the need for pedals. But there are so many great options.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.