What is your "Do Everything" Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Walker, Feb 23, 2020.

1. NBS2005

NBS2005 TDPRI Member

IMG_20200224_073718580.jpg

stevemc, Telecastoff1 and uriah1 like this.
  2. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

At the moment, a Quilter ODS200 head, with a Pure 64 ported 1x12 cab. It can indeed do anything. Jazz, blues, early rock, surf and strange - everything sounds good through this setup. Including baritone guitar. The cab is part of the magic, but the head sounds really fine through other cabs too. I've had other Quilters, was not wowed. This one is different. Best SS amp I've heard yet, and endlessly useful.

3. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As Fezz Parka once said, "Musicians are versatile. Amps are furniture." I'd happily use my Blackstar HT Club 40 in any gigging situation that I'd be likely to find myself in.

stormsedge likes this.
  4. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Fender Super-Sonic 22 combo.

Ess Eff and Shango66 like this.
  5. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Value for money:

My Boss Katana 100 can do anything I need it to do. It is PLENTY loud. Several channels that all sound good. Many onboard effects, pretty much anything you could need. Also, if you already have pedals, it is a great pedal platform too. I use a combination of it's onboard effects AND stompboxes that I already had.

Mikesk and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  6. sleeperNY

sleeperNY TDPRI Member

Mine is a Tone Master Twin.

Jim

7. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Super Reverb.

Particularly the Super Reverb that I've been lugging around for several decades.
    PSX_20200224_061933.jpg

It's done everything. Well, everything except Polka. And Jenkka, I've never played Finnish folk dance music.

Okay, it hasn't done everything everything, just everything I've done. It's happy in Jazz, Rock, Blues, Classical, Soul, R&B...it has the beans to stand on it's own, and it mic's quite easily. Granted it's a little heavy, but...

Nice thing about them, because they're not flavor of the week like the Deluxe Reverb, the old ones are comparable in price with the newer iterations.

8. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Helix with a decent FRFR and hooked up to the front of house will cover anything you need to play and no one can tell the difference. It satisfies the amp and pedal requirements and is easy to lug around. I use an Alto TS310 for mine and I have different patches for different songs and guitars. Really great setup for where I play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3-Chord-Genius and bgmacaw like this.
  9. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

For a long time now any gigs I get playing guitar tend to cover a wide range of styles, so versatility has been the watchword. The easiest way to do that is to get an amp that does a good clean tone and process the signal with pedals, or in my case, a Boss GT-10, which incorporates most popular effects and emulates lots of other pedals and amps. For my part, I run it into a Roland Jazz Chorus---for a long time I had a JC-120, but a few years ago I found a good deal on a JC-77, which is the little brother of the JC-120 (40 watts, one channel, 2x10 speakers), and that would be my go-to now. I play bass in a band with another guy who uses one as his main performing amp (with a standard pedal board), and it has been amazing. Even the smaller JC is still often the loudest thing on stage, and he gets great tone from it. For my part, the GT-10 has various output settings (direct into a board, into a small combo amp; into a big stack) but among those is a setting specifically designed and voiced to interact with a Roland JC amp. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice. I've still got the JC-120 (for now, anyway) in case we play a big outdoor show or something, but even then I can't imagine I would really NEED the extra wattage. Another advantage of the JC amps is that great stereo chorus---THE sound of the 80s!

Before the JC and for smaller gigs, I used to run through a Vox Night Train head (15 watt lunchbox version) and 1x12 Avatar cabinet with a Celestion Gold. That's a nice sounding rig too but the JC-77 combo is a bit more convenient.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

11. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

For years it's been my Mission kit Tweed Deluxe..... However when my big Morpheous PRRI from Muchxs arrives, that could change.
    :)

Poorman512 likes this.
  12. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

My '71 Twin Reverb mostly...other times, one of my Peavey Special 130's.

13. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

I have a run-of-the-mill AC15 that does everything I need it to pretty well. Clean-crunch is great, need a little stomping power to get it into dirt-mode, but it does it well. Not a high-gain choice by any means, but I don't currently play music that would require such sonic territory. Great, reliable and REPLACEABLE when gigging out!

drlucky and Believer like this.
  14. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Amp is 70% of the tone and the speaker + cabinet (material open/closed back) are the other 30%.

If it were me, I'd be headed to a music store with my #1 guitar and maybe my favorite drive pedal to get a taste test of current amps sound like.

20 watt tube or 50 watt SS is the lowest wattage I'd go,,,and with some amps that still may not be quite enough.

I'd go with with something used, and fairly ubiquitous...Fender Blues Dlx or DRRI, Marshall DSL, Peavey Classic 30, maybe a Black Star 40 and plan run with it for 6 months or a year and keep your eyes and ears open for other used amps. (I don't look at Vox, too heavy)

After a while, find a deal on another used amp, buy it, and now you have two to compare at home and with the band to continue to sort out what you really like and don't like. This isn't tone chasing, it's being realistic that you may not find the perfect amp right away and planning for it.

I use clean amps and run a Vox Tonelab into the front so as long as I can get an amp loud & clean, voiced properly, I'm in business. I do like the amps I have w/out the pedal board and in a pinch I could use the amp's channels w/ pedals,,,I just prefer to have programmed patches rather than tap-dance all night.

I try to insist that my amp get mic'd also. I think having instruments in FOH is better sound for the audience,,,unless it's a super small place...like the size of a living room :)

15. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Roland Blues Cube Artist + small pedal board

Sneaks, DaphneBlue and ce24 like this.
  16. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Workin' on it.

I'm combining tweed Harvard, tweed Deluxe, tweed Vibrolux, brown Princeton, brown Deluxe and tuxedo Princeton plus a few of my favorite tricks to make it modern and keep it fresh. I figure it does the work of half a dozen vintage amps or clones.

17. pioneer20

pioneer20 TDPRI Member

Finally someone mentions the Katana! This amp is HIGHLY underrated for the $$$ when it comes to getting any tone you want. You see it all over in the metal world, but I know first hand you can get some great tube-like clean and crunch tones out of it.

Mikesk and LunarSlingShot like this.
  18. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I hoped it would be my new DRRI. Within 3 months it has crapped out. Now for small gigs SCx2 with a 12 inch speaker and larger gigs I have a DV Mark 50 with a 2 10 cab.
    I’m hoping something simple is wrong with the DRRI. If not it’s gone.

19. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Totally right. I don't play any sort of metal. I play mostly clean and crunchy tones.

20. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave TDPRI Member

A Hot Rod Deluxe or a Victory V40 Duchess.
    Both lots of headroom, and take pedals really well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.