What is your "Do Everything" Amp?

Walker

Tele-Afflicted
I'm looking to get back into doing some gigging after some time away from it and all I have anymore is a Fender Mustang I for practice. I'm looking for something that can cover Jazz, Classic Rock, R & B and heavy Prog Rock (like Rush) that can be heard well in the average club setting. I don't have any problem using pedals for distorted/over driven sounds if need be (but I'll need to update my pedals too).

Suggestions?

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If I didn't have something already, I'd be looking to find a used Peavey Bandit. As it is, my do-all is broadly similar to, you guessed it, a Peavey Bandit. Powerful, fine sounding, able to be carried by a normal person without herniation and relatively inexpensive, should it receive a beer wash.
A Bandit, or Orange CR60 is about all you need for pubs'n'clubs. They tick many boxes. They butter many parsnips.

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
Easy.

My Genz Benz Black Pearl 30. Brilliant and incredibly flexible. It’ll be the one I keep when the others are sold at downsizing point. Loads of great tube tones, from cleans to full on Marshall stack, with power scaling and (since I've had it tweaked) a long lush bright spring reverb

Last edited:

KC

Friend of Leo's
if you look onstage in an "average club setting," you're likely to see a Hot Rod Deluxe, at least around here. Plenty loud, tolerably portable, good clean sounds and they take pedals well. That and a dirt box of your choice will get you where you want to go. If you need the Marshall sound, put a Distortron in front of it and you're off to the races

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
Mesa Mark Series... the EQ adds vast flexibility. Two or three channels cover all the bases - and you can ditch the dirt pedals. Been my go to ‘do it all’ for years. If you want jazz to all out metal, mesa mark series has got the best range in a single amp IMO.

I also do like the Marshall DSL40CR with dual master volumes and 6 way switch for all in one versatility as a cheaper/lighter alternative. Four distinct modes and a superb crunch channel.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Mesa Mark Series... the EQ adds vast flexibility. Two or three channels cover all the bases - and you can ditch the dirt pedals. Been my go to ‘do it all’ for years. If you want jazz to all out metal, mesa mark series has got the best range in a single amp IMO.

I also do like the Marshall DSL40CR with dual master volumes and 6 way switch for all in one versatility as a cheaper/lighter alternative. Four distinct modes and a superb crunch channel.
You beat me to it! I have a DSL40CR and was astounded by its cleans, bottom end and ability to switch between ALL the modes via foot switch (are you listening Mesa?)

But the new Mark 5:25 combo with a 10” Creamback that weighs 24 lbs certainly has the potential to be the ultimate grab-n-go. I need to go try one.