What is your distance limit to drive to a job?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Brad Pittiful, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Some folks sued a client of mine. When they were in court the poor old boy who was suing hobbled into court using a walker. After the trial was over, he bought the prerequisite new car, it must have been a miracle, during the trial he said he couldn't even lift a glass of water to his lips. A couple of months later, the guy that got sued saw the guy who sued him getting out of his new ride, go into a liquor store and come out with a case of beer riding on his shoulder! My client looked at him, and said I thought you couldn't even lift a glass of water? The guy said, "that was then, this is now buddy, it's beer thirty!"

2. Gyprock

Gyprock TDPRI Member

Stuck on an island. Furthest distance I can drive is probably 4 miles in three of four directions. F*&k commuting :)

3. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I worked in the Bay area with a 200 mile round trip. During crunch we often had to work 14 hours a day and my commute home on a bad day could be 3-5 hours. About 2 - 2.5 hours on a good day.

After that unhealthy experience I decided to do contract work from home. Because of that we only need one car. I drive the wife to work and back and we picked a nice neighbourhood about 4 miles from her Gov job downtown. Since I have to drive there and back twice it's 16 miles a day. I combine groceries at TJ's on the way back. Get there at 8.30 so I can get parking and be in and out in 5 minutes.

Really happy with things now. Only time we have to use a freeway is to visit friends and family out of town. So only once or twice a month.

The long commutes were pretty tiring but I did enjoy the stretch of 680 between Fairfield and Benicia. the rest was so boring that I risked falling asleep at the wheel. So I'd often do 100+ along the road construction barriers without a shoulder to get the adrenaline going and wake me up. Commute traffic tended to be fast and traffic cops didn't seem to bother with speeding much. Only if you went in the HOV lane illegally.

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

When I was consulting, it varied. I had a job on the upper east side of Cleveland that was 46 miles one way; if I got there a bit before 07:00, I could make it there in 50 - 55 minutes. Any time after that was 75 minutes. It was about 70 to 75 minutes to get home.

I only did that for 9 months, so it was not bad.

One of my "side work" customers is 46 miles south-east of me. It takes about 55 minutes. I don't have to go there very often, so it's no big deal.

My regular job is 25 miles, 35 minutes. Not a bad commute. However, I work from home now, so my commute is down to 18 steps from my bedroom to my office. I am spoiled now.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sometimes people go and get an epidural steroid injection, and the pressure on the nerve is relieved (albeit temporarily) and they go jumping around like a teenager.

Then the miraculous effect of the injection wears off and the bewildered "teenager" realizes he's screwed. I mean, you can alleviate the symptoms from time to time - but you cannot have one of these injections every 2 weeks, indefinitely.

For every client I had who later seemed to have fooled everyone, I had two that committed suicide because the suffering or disfigurement was more than they could bear. But these are outliers - most of the tales that pop up come from the imaginations of people whose insurance companies paid and they personally never did put money in the pot.

stevemc and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Interesting.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I once commuted 55 minutes each way for 18 months. I like to drive, but I decided 10 hrs a week in a car to work 40 hrs a week was too much. 30 minutes each way is my max. Judging by how fast property values drop off outside that radius, I'd say that's a clean break point in my area.

8. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

LOLOLOL! Keep telling yourself that! Amazing the things people do to rationalize!

9. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

That video can't be real right?

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

D0889F77-8FB3-4606-87A5-0FD28429DECF.jpeg These days I have to limit that distance to a total round trip of say...6 miles or so.
    This bike is about four inches shorter from one end to the other than my softtail seen to the left, but the motor in this Switchblade is not nearly as stout as the HD!!!

RoyBGood and JL_LI like this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Drive to a job and daily commute are two very different things. My daily commute is 17.5 miles, taking between 30 and 40 minutes each way. That's my limit. I can't stand the Bart Simpson School of Driving drivers (Outa my way man!) who wouldn't have to drive like maniacs if they just left 5 minutes earlier. Drive to a job? If I can't get there by plane. From Long Island, it's been Storrs, CT (3 hrs.) Philadelphia (3 1/2 hrs.), Providence, RI, 4 hrs plus taking the ferry. I leave early and refuse to go out and back on the same day. In fact, I try to plan my return drive for after the morning rush. I have two pretty nice cars to choose from but nothing makes driving in traffic fun.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

perhaps...but my commute of three hours a day wouldnt make me happy at all

13. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i have a 2000 subaru impreza RS...sporty ride as in stiff...while bumps dont jar my kidneys its not very friendly to bumpy roads...i need a plusher ride for sure

i can image what a miata and 400 miles can do!

14. Toto'sDad

I here you, and if you drive your nice cars in heavy traffic very long, they probably won't be nice cars anymore.

15. boris bubbanov

Some cars degrade pretty rapidly in heavy use. Others, not so much.

My personal taste runs towards cars that stand up really well to heavy use. If a car cannot be driven on washboard gravel tracks, for instance, it either has to be a small roadster or I don't want it. This is part of the reason I don't buy BMW, Audi, Acura or Infiniti sedans. They can't cope with heavy use, in my experience.

If you're talking about collision damage or something, my suggestion is, do everything you can not to get hit - and if the car gets bashed in, you've got to replace it, and then change your driving requirements so it doesn't happen a second time.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

The only way you can validate your post is to tell us, in detail, the size of the judgment taken against you and how you personally went about paying it.

With kindest regards, you fell into the trap. There's only one way out. Give it up. Tell us why your hostility is justified.

17. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Yeah. When my then fiancée now wife first came to New Zealand, I took her for a drive from my parents' house (rural southern town) to the nearest beach. We were talking about how close & convenient it was and I asked her how far she thought is was. She thought maybe 5 km. Turned out she was estimating on time spent driving. It's 21 km.

Pax/
    Dean

18. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Real. Bit old though. Here's one I just found, on one of the busier Tokyo lines. Six years old, so basically the same as now. Go to about 5.20 to see a more typical scenario.

Incidentally, I changed my commute to avoid this line.

Pax/
    Dean

19. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi again.

In New Zealand, I think the furtherest I ever had to drive was about 20 minutes / 14km. Three of the jobs I had and also the 5 years at university I could walk.

And then I moved to Japan...

Currently about three hours on the train and twenty minutes of walking for the round trip.:(

Back to the OP, I'd say if you don't like the idea, you'd hate the actual experience.

Pax/
    Dean

20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As a guy who works someplace different every day...

If the pay is right there isn’t any limit. I once flew from Cleveland, OH to Brownsville, TX to play one song at a wedding ceremony. They made it worth my while. So much so that I spent a day and night on South Padre before heading back home. Just for the hell of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.