1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is your distance limit to drive to a job?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Brad Pittiful, Sep 4, 2019.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

My preferred distance/time is the 10-12 minutes it takes to drive to the airport for traveling to a "road gig."

It looks like I'm destined for a local gig, though. Around Buffalo NY the distances aren't great, but the traffic is. My destiny of a 10 mile daily drive will be a serious pain, enduring Western NY drivers who distain posted limits, traffic signals, and safe lane changes. My insurance rate will increase simply because I'm commuting, here.

2. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I live in southern Arizona and work in Prudhoe Bay Alaska. My commute is about 20 hours. Fortunately I only have to do it twice a month.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

In California, it's almost to be expected to have anywhere from twenty to seventy five miles one way to work. Only in my last fifteen years of working did I have a commute shorter than fifteen miles one way, then I moved out to where I had a twenty five mile one way commute. I thought the fifteen and twenty five miles to work was a pretty good compared to seventy five.

One place I worked, I had to drive twenty five miles to the yard, check out a pickup truck for the day, fuel up the diesel tank for the loader I was running, then drive another forty to sixty miles to work. No short days on that job. You were expected to fuel and service your equipment on your own time too. The money was good so it was no big deal. Most days you worked overtime, and picked up some more money for the day, it just made for a very long day. All of the travel time though, was on your time.

4. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

My last job was about two hours each way, that became too much eventually so I moved to a job closer to home and it's just over an hour each way now. It's only about 15 miles but this is Dublin and the traffic is horrendous, most congested city in Europe and third most congested in the world. I try and get the bus when I can now, still takes the same amount of time but I can watch Youtube videos while someone else worries about the traffic.

5. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

I'm on my feet all day at work doing a very physical job at 63 y/o, but being self-employed, I can turn down jobs that mean more than 20 mins on the road - which is plenty, thank you. Sometimes, I can walk to the job, once I've got all my gear there - which is great. Non-stop roadworks in this area double the journey time. :mad:

6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Having gone from the car doing 20,000+ miles a year to as low as 3,500 and 7,500 recently I wold have a hard time doing a long commute again but I would not give up a vital income opportunity.

FWIW: My wife and I were rather obsessive with figuring out how we could drive less overall and have kid grow up where they could walk, bike and bus. At 2006 to 2019 worth of it I can say it is very much worth changing one's ways.

The cool thing about changing the long commutes so many do is we are not go to the gym or run a race types but have been in an automatic well being system simply by not spending much time in a car.

7. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I never took a job that was outside a five mile radius from my home. I turned down better paying jobs because I valued my sanity. It would make me lose the will to live within minutes of having to sit & crawl along in that bumper to bumper rush hour traffic nonsense. Now thankfully retired from the rat race.:)

8. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Dude, believe me, I've had to make that sort of trip before for work and let me tell you, it SUCKS. It doesn't seem like it's that far but when you've done it every.... single... day... for years it becomes a real drag. Also, just do the math and you'll find out fast that your car will rack miles like you can't believe. PLUS, things WILL break down on your car and leave you stranded, and you will spend a fortune in fuel. A 20 year old car? You'd be replacing that car within a year or less IMO = more $$$ out of your pocket. It is what it is... just sayin' that unless the pay would be INSANE amount of $$$, no way I would do it again regardless of what the job was. I think you should pat yourself on the back for making a good decision ;) You just saved yourself a ton of $$$ and a lot of time ;)

9. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

I walk 5 miles a day to work and 5 miles back.
    Monday till Friday.

Keeps me fit.

stevemc likes this.
  10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

45 mins to 1hr one way, accounting for average traffic patterns.

My dad commuted for ~2hrs one way for decades. Hell to the no. No "dream home" location is worth that.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A car you can't tolerate driving that far, is also an unsafe car. And it isn't the date upon which the car was made, but the design and the amount of care and quality materials that went into building it.

I think you should reconsider - and get a better ride. The age of which is not that important. I've got several cars with in excess of 200,000 miles on them and they're great fun to drive - even long distances. We did an 18 day, 8,000 mile Out West trip in (mostly) July and will do another in a couple weeks. Life is too short for cars that couldn't commute this far.

Heck. From The Cabin, I've got to drive 3 miles one way, just to place a telephone call.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

For fifteen years, after I got to work, and got lined out for the day, I would drive three thousand miles a month in the course of my everyday activities of doing my job. For the first ten years, I furnished my own pickup truck, and the company reimbursed me mileage. The mileage stipend was great enough to pay my expenses including paying for the trucks. It takes nerves of steel though, because if something happens after a year or two of a truck purchase, and you left the job, you'd be upside down in a truck that is worth a lot less than what you paid for it. It all worked out through three different trucks, and the last five years, I had a pickup furnished by the company, and my driving duties were reduced because I landed a customer account that allowed me to pass off some of my duties to other people. I still drove a lot though, so much so, that after driving a diesel truck over a million miles, and pickup trucks over 500,000 miles I find that now, there is nothing anywhere that I want to drive to in order to see it.

13. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

the car is fine...its me that cant tolerate the long drive...i drive locally and i have no problem...id say 45 minutes is when i would get out of the car feeling stiff and need a good 5 minutes to get everything back to normal :lol:...getting old is rough...getting a better ride is expensive and i would love too

i have other irons in the fire...working to get an interview right now if they approve and want to meet...im ready

Nubs and boris bubbanov like this.
  14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe the new job would allow you to afford a newer car?

15. boris bubbanov

What kind of car have you got? I want to say you have a Vibe, but my memory is not what it used to be.

No, I am actually saying that, for some people, who ain't what they used to be, the choice of car can have a huge impact on how many miles they can do.

As an attorney I handled thousands of personal injury cases, and in some instance the injury just didn't seem to resolve and the doctors were getting frantic and supposing that surgery might be required. Meanwhile, the client was trying to drive a less than nice car, when he'd drive at all. Anyway, the client didn't want surgery, and we'd get the guy a sizeable cash settlement and the client would go out and buy something nice, and Voila! his back injury began resolving rather nicely.

Anyway. Youngsters can drive anything. Some folks shouldn't drive at all. But in the middle (which includes me) there's folks whose choice of car can make a huge difference.

We took the Miata down to Baton Rouge this past week end, instead of a Saab, and my goodness that came at a price. 400 miles each way.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

As long as we're choosing, if I have to commute from Vernon as some of my officemates do, I'll like a 928.

[​IMG]

Plus...

[​IMG]

Nubs likes this.
  17. Squittolo

Squittolo TDPRI Member

For my current job here in Italy, 8 kilometers one way; so about 20 minutes by car.

18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Hmmm. I didn't read the entire thread before posting this. Going back over the posts, I realized I'm one of the only responses in time only, not in miles. This is because I grew up in Southern California. Miles are immaterial there. One mile or 30 can take anywhere from 15mins to an hour. That's just how it is.

The longest commutes (over an hour) I have done were temporary. I simply won't put up with anything longer than an hour on a regular commute. I'm temporarily helping cover for one our sites an hour a way for several days a week, and it's killing me. My regular drive in 25-30mins.

No music, books on tape, or mind wandering is worth more than an hour in car to or from work. No way. Vacation or going someplace special is fine. Work? Nu-uh.

19. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

The more i get paid, the longer the commute i can tolerate ...

20. boris bubbanov

I used to try cases and handle legal matters way up in North Louisiana. No real good way to get there from New Orleans, in those days.

Sometimes I would make arrangements to hang out with friends in BR or Lafayette overnight the previous night, then head North from there.

I think you can tolerate more miles IF you get to choose different routes and are not doing the same grind day after day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.