What is your distance limit to drive to a job?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Brad Pittiful, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

not all jobs tell you where it is...if (in this case) it was an agency hiring me to work at a company...the person i talked to was based in virginia...once i found out where it was i explain my situation to than and thanked them

Boubou likes this.
  2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I used to commute 60 miles round trip. It was okay most of the time. Now being retired
    I still have dreams that I'm driving down 95. I wake up and am thankful just a dream.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

I drove over 60 miles a day for years, dropping my daughter off for school on the north east side of Tallahassee, then driving to the west side of town, back to the east side to pick her up, and then home to Crawfordville. You absolutely loose your patience for any stupidity on the road at that point. People who don't even so much as slow down at a stop. "Where's the body buried?" "Under the stop sign officer." I'm telling you. I've never felt so compelled to hurt people in my whole life. It's not good for the soul.

4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Do any of them claim the possibility of "temp to hire?" i.e. dangling at least the possibility of a full time position? Maybe work a temp job for a few months and make connections to get a full time job?

Keep looking - something will open up. It takes a while, but if you have a 15 minute train ride to the city that sounds like a winning commute. Imagine all the potential employers saying "Oh, he's only a 15 minute train ride? Hire him!" (Wishful thinking, but oh well.) I was looking for 9 months before I found my current job; some of the opportunities much closer to me were not very rewarding. Same or worse pay, less room for career advancement.

I know how much of a trade off it is... Can I take less pay for less commute? How much of my time and sanity can I sacrifice for more pay? Then add in missed time with kids and family from being in cars and trains and it makes it 10 times harder. I foolishly solicited advice from friends and family about "great job + great pay = long commute time + less time with my kids" and they all said to do it for the money. I was not expecting that response.

5. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

I drove a 100 miles a day for 15 years, I started listening to audio book and podcasts and didn't mind that much although there are always those days. Since I retired I discovered there's major work happening on my route which would have made it miserable enough to try an alternative. I pretty much always drove a long way to my various places of employment.

6. Brad Pittiful

no the ad says short term temp...3 months sometimes 6 months...i need to find a job and keep it leaving on my terms if i need want to...ive applied to many jobs that are temp to perm...im not against that

most times i never get called...my resume may read im an older applicant or too much experience and experience comes with a higher wage...even though i apply knowing their ad listed an hourly/yearly amount...i would think that would tell them i agree to that wage...depending during the interview if they say they wont budgt on the pay rate

7. Mjark

I used to take a bus from Collegeville to Norristown to the train into the reading terminal and walk to 16th and Arch.

8. Brad Pittiful

if i remember you have a family...i do not its just me...i guess i have a better pick and choose option than you did

9. Brad Pittiful

thats a nice walk!

Mjark likes this.
  10. Mjark

Yeah, up to a point.

11. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

60 miles roundtrip. But no one's watching what time I get it. So it takes alot of stress out of the drive in.

12. Brad Pittiful

yeah thats not to shabby!

GGardner likes this.
  13. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Holy cow! If I could do my 30 mile in bound commute in a 1/2 hour, I'd be walking on air all day! Seriously.

14. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

That parts sucks; I suspect I fell victim to some of that as well. "Too old, too experienced, we can't pay him that much." If they would have even called me in they'd have found out my living expenses are not so high, and I can afford to work for what they're asking! I'm sure there were other factors preventing them from calling me too though.

I applied to over 100 jobs in the 9 months I was searching - while working full time of course - and ended up with 8 in-person interviews after about 20 phone interviews. Lots of miscommunication, i.e. "Oh we were expecting you to do this..." and "I was expecting the job to be like that..." In the end, I think I just got plain lucky to get hired where I am at, but the persistence helped I think. I wish you good luck again - something will turn up I'm sure! Hopefully on that sweet 15 minute train ride into Philadelphia. I love visiting Philadelphia.

15. Brad Pittiful

i think many of us fall victim to that...ive been reading about resumes...lots say...take it to a professional...but thats no guarantee itll get me a job...bbqing this weekend my brother said he can get me in with a pro resume writer guy for nothing...cant hurt

just today i was talking to someone about a job and they complemented me on my resume...but she said she would move my competencies to the top rather having at the bottom...she reads so many and that always catches her eye...she doesnt even get to the bottom of some resumes

thanks man...its a waiting game and im tired of the game

SolidSteak likes this.
  16. Telefan65

Telefan65 TDPRI Member

I drive 60 miles daily(round trip and that is my max)to work. Cannot say that I enjoy it....but I’m not recording or touring for platinum albums. So it is my sad duty to continue for another 7 to 12 years. Once I retire. I think I’m going to Dedicate a lot more time to music. try to forget all my working years. It’s all about goals.;)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    howardlo likes this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Self-employed

Depends on how much I need the money/how much money it is .

Turned down many hour drives (one way) in the last couple years.

17 yr old truck figures in the decision...

18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

inthe philly burbs are you driving into the city ?

60 miles works out to 97 KM I usually drive about half that to and from home but I leave at 04:15 AM so no traffic and its not a drive at all

19. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I live a mile from the studios. Now, mind you, when I bought this house in 1991 I was working impossible hours and being called back to work several times a week so I decided I simply wasn't going to spend any more time in traffic and away from my family than I needed to.

Bob

20. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

For 15 years, I drove 35 miles each way, but the first 25 were country back roads -- 2 stop signs the whole way. Then 10 years going 2 miles each way, divided highway, light traffic.

The thing is, no matter how long or short the commute, you end up at work at the end of it. And you have to stay there all day. I'm really grateful that I don't have to do that any more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.