What is your distance limit to drive to a job?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Brad Pittiful, Sep 4, 2019.

1. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

It’s more about time than distance. For me the limit was about an hr each way, and that was a good job I couldn’t afford to loose. I knew the commute would only last a year or 2.

2. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I took a contract job a few months back. I leave at 4:45am in the morning and arrive in 20 minutes (lights not traffic). I leave around 2:30PM and it takes 30 minutes to get home. The extra time is traffic. I may have to relocate to the Woodlands north of Houston; which is an hour in the morning and 2 1/2 in the afternoon coming back. Not looking forward to that.

getbent likes this.
  3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I'm field based, so it depends on which customer I'm working for each day, but I average about 500 miles a week. Chance to listen to rehearsal recordings or new songs to learn and get familiar with. Some days I'm working a couple of miles from home or at home doing admin work, so it balances out. I just try to keep my breaks short so I'm not driving home in the rush hour (I live near a main motorway that goes towards London). I'd rather get back and do some admin work at home having had a short lunch than add another half hour or more to the commute because I took an hour lunch break.

Can't grumble as I get a decent choice of company car, currently a Mercedes C220 AMG line saloon...I'd never buy such a car with my own money though.

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I commute by train about 1 hour 45 minutes each way - killer, but: 3 days per week, and I can work (or read TDPRI) on the train. It's not crowded, I always get a seat, and the view out the window is beautiful when I get about 1/2 way home.

5. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

So you don't really want the job, right? Because otherwise, you'd sacrifice and make it work, right?

Be honest. ;)

6. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

So you applied for a job without knowing where it was?
    There is distance and time which can be very different with traffic. Before I retired I was close to 1:30 hour by public transit, before that an hour with traffic, both one way.
    Now I have to make it from the bed to the coffee maker, sometimes I have to step over my sleeping dog

7. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

An hour and a half for 30 miles?

I used to live about 30 miles from work for about 10 years until I moved closer. Took a whole 1/2 hour for the trip (and none on freeways (expressways). Been retired for 12 years now.

8. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I spent quite a few years driving 47 miles each way. No big deal on NJ highways and they paid me very well.

For my last dozen years of working it was over an hour by train into Manhattan. Again, it’s just something you get used to and no big deal as long as the dollars are there.

9. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Down one flight of steps to my office, for 20 years.

10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

before the last hit & run we got creamed in..came off the road making car keys...was doing 1,000 plus a week in a basic 50 mile radius.. drove more than worked..i get more tired driving all day..than doing reg work..almost is relaxing to work at home ..love chopping wood

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm 90 miles away from a fast food joint.

12. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I'm in construction so my commute changes. I've been as close as 3 minutes and as far as 70 miles one way. And a few times had to stay at a hotel during the week, then home on weekends. That one I won't do again

13. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

It's tough commuting to the big cities... and definitely in the mid Atlantic. I interviewed at a job 23 miles from my house. During rush hour, there is absolutely no way to get there in under 60 minutes. If there's an accident, make it 90-120 minutes.

Sometimes I think I can look up a longer, more roundabout way on country roads that might be more miles but less traffic, but the time ends up working out about the same. The throw in a good ice storm or blizzard or something and forget it.

Is telework an option for your line of work? I hear sometimes that can be a negotiating point.

The job I recently ended up with is a 2 hour train ride each way, but at least I don't have to drive!

Why does everyone hafta work where I want to work??? Traffic reminds me of that old Yogi Berra quote about his former favorite restaurant, "Nobody goes there anymore... it's too crowded." Or the apocryphal interview with famous bank robber Willie Sutton, "Why do you rob banks?" "Because that's where the money is!"

14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

30 miles one way not too bad, but it depends on what that commute is like! All two lane roads with a million stoplights? NO WAY. 5 mins to freeway all the way? Yep.
    The other thing is what do you gain by living where you live? In an apt complex? MOVE. Nice home on the water? STAY!

15. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My first teaching job was a 75-mile drive from my house. I did that for one school year, then was able to attach myself to our local school district, where I taught (at three different schools) for the rest of my career.

Now that I've retired, my distance limit is the distance to the high school, about 4 miles, and I'll severely limit the frequency, too, say to a maximum 4 or 5 days a month.

16. d-rock

d-rock Tele-Meister

25 miles one way - an hour each, so I'm in the car two hours a day. I'm able to work from home two days a week. It's hard to find a job with the same pay unless I go into the city.

The balance is that my wife works one block from the entrance of our neighborhood.

SolidSteak likes this.
  17. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I’m 38 each way

18. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Hey man, tell the dog he's holding up traffic! :D

Quite often I have interviewed with companies I thought were close to me only to find out, "So you'll be commuting to our branch office way out in..."

Boubou likes this.
  19. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

no its not like that...i know my situation...how i deal with traffic (not in a road rage situation)...my car is not a comfortable ride for me anymore long distances...i have a job is dislike but an easy 15 minute commute...why should i change to a longer commute id dislike...putting more wear and tear on my car...dealing with snow...accidents...who knows what...why go somewhere where i wouldnt be happy getting there

20. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

yes you see it my way...dealing with the elements and traffic and other things...its not worth it to me

no telework...i was going for a jab thats needs me to be there

train ride is what i was hoping this job would be...i have a couple block walk to a train and 15 minute ride to philly...i keep looking for jobs in town but most recently have all been a short term temp job

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.