What is your distance limit to drive to a job?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Brad Pittiful, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

was talking to a place about a job interview...but after they told me the address...it was just too far for a daily commute

my car is 20 years old...60 mile round trip...its not comfortable for me to drive in this car for more than an hour...hours and a half would be one way to the job

im a bit sad to turn down a good opportunity like that

Telekarster likes this.
  2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Takes you and hour and a half to go 30 miles?

Sounds like you are making excuses, take the good opportunity and maybe you can replace the car that you think is holding you back within a few months.

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I've been commuting 124 miles round-trip for the past 9.5 years. I drive a 15 year old Toyota Sienna with 418k miles on it. I actually enjoy the drive.

verb boten, GoKart Mozart and Bones like this.
  4. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

I am at 27 miles each way and it takes 35mn to get to work and 45 to an hour to get home. I'm pretty much at my personal distance limit. I wish they'd let us work from home.... :cry:

Telefan65 likes this.
  5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Here in Sou Cal it’s not uncommon to drive 30-40 miles one way, then get home and drive 60 miles to go to dinner.
    But I do understand that all miles are not the same. Some places 30 miles is a hell of a commute, others it’s a nice drive to just unwind and listen to some tunes.

6. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

I'm 30 miles from the grocery store.

dented and Steve Holt like this.
  7. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

My wife drives 50kms each way
    Thats why we have a new car that gets excellent mileage

8. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I used to drive 120 miles round trip to work and I am 50 miles from a grocery store. That’s why I drive a vw tdi.

Blue Bill and dented like this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Since I live in Outer Redneckia (aka Atlanta Metro exurbs) what matters to me the most is traffic rather than distance. I'm about 25 miles from my office, going into the Atlanta area. That's not too bad but on a bad traffic day it feels a lot longer. That is about my limit going into the city. I wouldn't have a problem driving further away from Atlanta, maybe up to 50 miles. However, the job prospects and salary for software engineering drop way off that direction.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Ya gotta do what yah gotta do.

However, I'm happy my commute is 15 minutes.

11. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I live 28 miles from my office. One of the main reasons I took my current job (besides the fact that I needed a job), was because I live a 1 mile drive from the Metra station and the station near the office is a 1 mile walk. With the half-fare senior discount, the train works out cheaper than driving. I almost never drive to work. If it weren't for public transportation, I think my driving limit at this point would be about 10 miles. Of course it would depend on the money they're offering.

12. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Depends on the drive conditions. When I lived in Omaha, anything longer than 30 minutes and I was ready to start punching people. The traffic just sucked and I hated it. Now I still drive 25 minutes one way, but it is on a quiet highway with very little traffic, it is actually quite relaxing on the commute. I would never go back to driving anything longer than 40 minutes tops and even then the pay would have to be worth it.

13. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Horror senario; commuting....My wife and I have worked at home together for the last 29 years. A half hour walk each morning after breakfast before entering the workshop.

I used to have a 60 mile round trip to go to school when I was younger, but since then, at collage and then the following few intermediate jobs, where always within walking distance from home.

Milspec likes this.
  14. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

That's a great observation. My commute is all highway into the OKC metro area, but I'm at the office by 7:30am, so I miss the bad morning rush hour traffic. It takes me right at 1 hr to get to the office. I get off work at 5:30pm, and I sometimes catch the tail end of the evening rush hour, but it's rarely delayed me more than 15 minutes or so.

15. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

When I was a kid I used to walk 12 miles to school every day. In the snow. Uphill. Both ways.

Some of yall are just grumpy. I don't care for commuting in traffic either.

When I lived in Japan I had an apartment in Kawasaki, a suburb of Tokyo, and it was about 17 miles to get to work. By car that was a 90 minute drive. By train it took about an hour. By motorcycle it only took 40 minutes.

In Japan they have "two wheel lanes" set up for motorcycles and scooters. Almost everykind of delivery service imaginable runs on two wheels.

[​IMG]

Here in Dallas my upper limit would probably be around 20 miles each way.

I enjoy leisurely rides on twisty country back roads, but staring at concrete and asphalt is not my idea of fun.

I'm actually looking forward to self driving cars becoming available. Being able to ride instead of drive would make the trip much better.

In fact, I'm seriously considering moving to an area with public transportation that actually works. There are a few areas in Dallas served by trains, but there is very little in North America that can compare to the convenience of Europe or Asia.

16. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

When we lived in Katy (just outside Houston), our daily commute was in the 30 mile range - but it took at least an hour and a half to drive those 30 miles. My new "job' is 2/10ths of a mile from the house and takes less than a minute to drive (or 3 minutes to walk) - and NO... I'm not ever going back.

It's not the distance that counts - it's the time.

BTW - we went to lunch yesterday in San Antonio. Drove just over 200 miles round trip....

boris bubbanov likes this.
  17. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Time and distance are factors that would weigh heavily into my limit. In your case if you expect a round trip commute to be about 3 hours, then I would add that time to the hours I would actually spend at the work location to determine my effective hourly salary. For instance, if the job paid $160 for an 8 hour work day that would equal a $20 per hour wage. Since I would be spending 11 hours of my time (adding 3 hours for the commute) for each 8 hour work day, that would bring my hourly wage from $20 down to $14.55 per hour ($160 divided by 11 hours).

Additionally, I would calculate the cost of fuel for my vehicle required for the commute. Of course, it is likely that any job would have transportation costs involved, but if the average commute for a job for which you might be qualified would cost only a fraction of what a 3 hour commute would, then I would subtract that difference in cost from the dollar amount that I would be compensated. For instance, let's say that the 3 hour commute would add about $3 more in fuel cost daily than the average commute, then compensation for my 8 hour work day would be effectively reduced by $3, or $157 instead of $160. That would then reduce my effective hourly wage down to $14.27. With a 20 year old vehicle, it would also be a good idea to consider the cost of wear and tear on the vehicle. The cost of more frequent routine maintenance as well as the risk of probable repairs could be significant.

Of course, factors involved in the job such as its security, personal career fit, and room for advancement might easily outweigh the monetary concerns of a long commute, but only you can evaluate the value of those intangibles.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Matt G and Rustbucket like this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe not Tokyo @ rush hour

19. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

I drive 44 miles each way to work. It's mostly highway and I'm pretty used to it by now. And it let's me jam out to some good music, so it's not all bad.

I'm working on securing a remote position with a company so my daily commute will be 0 miles. And once I do, I'll move back home to Philly to be with family & friends.

Milspec and Shuster like this.
  20. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

It's only like that at a couple of stations, and only for a few hours each day.

Yes, it's pretty horrible, but you don't have distracted drivers in Ford Expeditions trying to murder you. And generally no matter how crowded the train is, you still get to work on time.

Here in Dallas it's as if we make human sacrifices to the commuter gods... Once in the morning, and once again in the evening.

Seriously, someone dies trying to get to or from work on a daily basis. I'm sure most other major American cities are the same.

When you strap yourself in behind you air bag and cup of coffee, pray that today's random human sacrifice is somebody else.

Mouth likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.