1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is your digital amp history since the 90s

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, May 8, 2020.

1. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

I bought the AwardSession JD10 for recording in the early 90's and it is the best equipment purchase I ever made. It has served me as a preamp for guitar and bass, a boost/OD/dist in front of various amps/pedals and a direct to desk "amp in a box" with its speaker emulation. I bought a POD when they first came out but it was like a toy compared to the JD10 and put me off digital for a long time.

As for amps, too many to mention including a 60's non top boost AC30 and a '65 JTM45 as well as various Fenders, Peaveys, Boogies, Carvin, Cornford and a Sessionette 75 which is the only amp I still own. Never owned a digital amp.

A few years ago I needed a simple plug and play device for acoustic and electric duties in a silent stage touring band and chose the HD500 which actually did a very good job, then replaced that with a HX Stomp which was even better. I did some dep gigs with a function band recently and set up a few patches in the Stomp without the cab emulation straight into the fx return of my Sessionette. I was blown away by how good this simple setup sounded....as good as anything I've played through.

2. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I have used a Pod one time at the request of a studio engineer. It worked out well for that date but I was never inspired to own one.
    Otherwise, my only experience has been with the Fender Super Champ line. It's a convenient option and records really well. Of course there is a tube amp at its heart so I'm not sure if it qualifies.

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I had an early model Pod. I had Amplitube plug-in and also used as standalone. (Still have it but never use it!)
    I was an early adopter of the Fender Mustang GT and really liked it. I was encourage so I first bought the Line 6 Firehawk FX which I liked even more but returned after about 3 weeks to get the Helix. I was all in on modeling.
    Then the “honeymoon” ended. Too much tweaking and obsessing rather than playing. Plus, I still think that the overdrive to fuzz tones have that brittle “digital” artifact.
    They’re getting better and better.
    It’s just easier to get the sounds I prefer with my tube amp and a few pedals.

4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I briefly owned one of the bean shaped PODs, also the Behringer knock off. Had a Johnson Millenium combo amp years ago bit heavy, complicated , traded it for a Mesa MKII that I wish I still owned!
    Had a smaller more recent Vox modeler (which I thought sounded pretty good!)
    Years ago had a small Tech 21 amp, the Marshall tones were great, Fender meh ...
    Roland Micro Cube , great for what it is. I got a Peavey Vyper which I gave to a friend, he loves it. I got one the small Line 6 Spyder combo amps, cleaned it up and sold it, it had some good tones for a small cheap modeler.

I dabbled with the Katana amps, 50 watt 1-12, 100 watt 1-12 , 1-12 Artist, the 100 watt 1-12 was the best of the bunch IMO but still not what I was looking for.
    I recently got a Pod Go, and I am probably going to get the Headrush FRFR 108 speaker to go with it.
    The PodGo has most of the Helix amps and effects, and there are some great sounds to be found.

With the current situation we are not gigging, not even rehearsing, though I hope that will change sometime.
    I love tube amps but I'm open minded to the possibilities that are available with modeling, and modeling has come a VERY long way.

5. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Holic

I had a Crate modelling amp back in the late 90s, which kinda sucked. It had a few usable tones, but nothing I was in love with. I eventually ended up using an L6 Spyder II 2x12 combo at church for a bit, and then upgrading to an L6 Flextone III 2x12. Later I swapped over to a POD X3 Live, and bypassed the front end of the Flextone, using as a power section and speakers. Got rid of that setup, went tube for a bit, but volume was too much of an issue, so I went to a Mustang III v2. I plan to grab a POD Go or Helix LT soon, and a powered speaker setup for it.

6. ButterScotchPH

ButterScotchPH Tele-Meister

I've got a Vibrochamp XD I really like a lot especially the Champ and Bassman voice, now I'm looking for Yamaha THR10ii for my living room.

7. Tele_Luvr

Tele_Luvr TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I got a V-amp 2 around 2001, then I got a Digitech RP-255, then a Zoom G2.Nu, then a Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 20 V2, which I’m currently using.

8. barrymclark

barrymclark Tele-Meister

It started for me working at GC in (I think 1998) for the whole 6 months I was there. Lol.

The two main players in the digital modeler game that I knew of was Line 6 with the AxeSys212 and the Johnson Millennium. I hate both. Lol. ...but I really liked the idea. Then the POD came out. I think the Flextones came out at the same time. To my ears, the Pod was leaps and bounds better than the AxeSys and Johnson. I got one. I would go on to own several over the years with each one seeming to get better. ...but, after a decade, the pursuit annoyed me. However, I did have a Roland MicroCube that I liked enough to go for the Cube 80x. Not as flexible but sounded better for most things in my ears than what I had achieved with the Pod series. I would have those for the next 10 years. I just let the 80x go a year back. Still have the MicroCube. Part of the reason I had those amps so long was more focusing on playing than gear and the Cube series worked. I would go through Mesa, Vox, Fender amps... and they all didn't generally last more than 2 years. What made me finally part with the larger Cube and the remainder of my tube amps?

The Strymon Iridium for everything but modern hi-gain and the Revv G3/Two-Notes CAB M for only the modern hi-gain. They sound so good that I don't really care what comes next.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.