1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is your digital amp history since the 90s

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, May 8, 2020.

1. ogeva

ogeva TDPRI Member

My first modelling amp experience was through a red line6 UX2. I bought it because i wanted an audio interface AND the modelling technology.
    I don't know how they did it, but playing their software did modelling without any noticable latency while other amp sims did have latency related to buffer size.
    Anyway, i think it had the same models as the pod 2.0.
    Afterwards (and along the way i tried all software modellers) i moved to Pod HD which was fine for the time.
    Then I sold it and got an Eleven rack which has a way better "touch sensitivity" and feel to it.
    Then I had fractal's AX8 which IMHO is an AWESOME unit. Its a different league than anything i heard before. I sold it too early when i heared about FM3 which still isn't available here, and wish i didn't...
    Nowdays i use line 6's helix native, but as soon as I'll get the fm3 i am sure it will be the go to solution for me.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

What do you want for it? I could really use one of these as a headphone amp and idea generator.

E5RSY likes this.
  3. RaiFer

RaiFer TDPRI Member

My first experience with modelling was with a Vox VT15, which wasn´t bad, but just missed a more Fenderish tone. The obvious move from there was to go Mustang, but it didn´t completely get there. From that point, I got a Roland Cube 15 (there was no break up sound there), a Cube 20 (nice with the Tube/Dyna OD, but not quite there), Cube Mini (which was OK with the Blackface, but died on me), Line 6 Spider III, Mini Spider (neither of them cut it for me), POD (quite nice, actually), Zoom G1 and G2 (not my thing), Digitech RP 55 (a present I got and wasn´t bad), Zoom G3 (best of them all)... In the end, I use a Kustom Dart 10FX, which has as good a break up sound as any of those (except the Zoom G3) and reverb... I just got bored of looking. Of course, this is for home use (although I think I would gig with a G3 - that Marshall 59 sound was just so sweet).

But that´s what happens with cheap stuff... I´m sure higher end gear will yield much better results.

4. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

The first semi-digital preamp I bought was Digitech Twin Tube GFX1 in 1993. It was an analog preamp with two 12AX7s, and some primitive digital effects like delay and chorus. I played it direct into the board, and it sounded good, and it still works. I got a Vox Tonelab SE in 2005, still have it, and it's like new. I bought a Boss GT-100 a few years ago, that's the one I used most these days.

5. Yuro

Yuro Tele-Meister

Wow. I really liked my AX2-212. Sounds were great...I loaned it out and some low voltage fried it.

6. RhinoV

RhinoV TDPRI Member

oddly enough, I was working at a local music store during the '90's and when the Yamaha rep arrived one day with a couple of the offerings in the DG series I immediately wanted a DG80! however, at that time, the price was out of my budget. That was around '96 if i recall....and MANY digital amps made their way into the market, the closest thing to a digital amp that turned my crank in a "useful" kind of way was actually a Line6 POD 3x.live, which I still use for certain gigs here and there, but my current "compact" rig iis a Thomas Blug AMP1. but getting back to "digital amps"....several years ago I found someone selling a DG60 which I bought and used over some summer gigs...and again< I suddenly felt the urge to revisit my passion for the old Yamaha DG80...I went on the hunt for one, and lo and behold, I ended up purchasing one for $300...YAY! BUT...I had not considered just how HEAVY this beast is compared to some current stuff...BUT I am a luthier, cabinet builder etc...so I removed the "amp" from the factory cabinet, built a completely new but identical box out of lightweight fingerjointed pine covered in industrial textured speaker cab coating "paint", replaced the factory 14lb+ speaker with an eminence N-dym 12" speaker which weighs just around 4lbs...all taking about 20 Lbs or so off the weight of the original design....this makes a HUGE difference to the portability of the amp and has almost no perceivable impact on the sound. I then built a 112 extension cab, using the original speaker, and the same pine construction...also ended up quite lightweight and since it was near impossible to find the factory DG extension cab..this was a great addition to the amp! now, as if that weren't enough....last year I found a second DG80....and guess what...I now have 2!...I have used these amps on numerous gigs now, running them in tandem, Midi'ed together with some patches being basically identical except for different chorus/delay settings for each amp which creates a spacious "stereo" image, not to mention the ability to have 2 completely different amps selected for L+R patches....and in over 40 years of playing, I have to say that the overall sound from the rig is absolutely stellar!...and for under $1000 all told, it has everything I could ever want....PLUS , It is enormously flexible for all applications . I can use just one amp, both amps, with or without extension cabs fo large venues..etc. Sadly, the current state of the live music scene due to the Covid pandemic has parked everything in my jam room for the time being, but rest assured, when things turn around and we all start gigging again, the YAMAHA will be my rig of choice!...it's just THAT good...and for a 25 year old design....not much comes close . The SIMPLICITY and user friendliness makes it much more appealing than MOST of the digital amps on the market....having said that, I have yet to give the digital Fender Twin a run...but that's more of a dedicated single amp platform with less flexibility . with the DG80 the only pedal I run is a Wah pedal..everything else is internal and selected with a midi controller pedal. delay, chorus, tremolo, reverb...who needs anything else? yes , I know...there are people with 90LB pedal boards that would beg to differ...and I used to be one of them...but...WHY???LOL.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Jakedog likes this.
  7. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I don't think I've ever owned one, I've had several solid state amps though.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I was thinking last night, and remembered why the DG’s didn’t sell-

The amp models weren’t marked as popular favorites. Where other modeling companies were marking things specifically “Triple Rec” and “Brit Hi Gain” and “Blackface Clean” etc, Yamaha didn’t do that. They just had awesome sounds.

But all the customers didn’t know what to do with them without being told by a control panel label. Guys we’re saying

“where’s the AC 30 model?”

Well there’s this here, and it sounds amazing.

“But what is it?”

Sounds like an AC30 to me.

“But what is it actually?”

Probably and AC30. It sure sounds like one.

“Do you have Line 6?”

There is no debate with anybody who’s ever played one that the DG amps were sonically superior to everything else out at the time. If they had labeled the amp models Vox, Fender, Boogie, etc they would have taken over the world. But asking people just to enjoy good sounds was too much for their meager brains to handle. Without labels they couldn’t digest that they were hearing what they wanted to. They had to be told “this is a twin”. And “this is a JCM800”.

Digital Larry and teletimetx like this.
  9. Marblatx

Marblatx TDPRI Member

When I got back into electric I heard/read nothing but bad things about modeling amps until the Mustangs came out. When I found out Dale Watson uses a mustang II I started looking for one but since I really don't want an amp that hooks up tp my computer I've started looking for a reasonably priced Champion 40 but they rarely come up for sale at any price.

10. Fotheringport

Fotheringport TDPRI Member

During my playing years I used Fender, Traynor or Yamaha 2x12 valve combos, great for that era ('70-'80) but I bought a little, used AwardSession 30w Rockette 1x12 for my lad in the late 80's-early 90's after reading about EC using the brand of transistor amps. Jerry Donahue put his name to an AwardSession JD10 and the rarer JD20 preamp which I bought into and still use along with the Gordon Giltrap GG10 acoustic preamp, an ABY splitter, Matchbox MB10, MB11 and MB12 bass unit, a MixMatch mixer and a Solo Booster. AwardSession had produced the Sessionette75 combo and now I only use them... the standard SG75R combo, the S100R Acétone combo, and the S100R Stockton combo. Wouldn't use anything else now!!! Their BB30 BluesBaby combo is next!

Attached Files:

63telemaster and Jakedog like this.
  11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

'90: Nope don't want one....
    '91: Nope don't want one....
    '92: Nope don't want one....
    93': Nope don't want one....
    "
    "
    "
    "
    "
    2020: Nope don't want one....

12. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I'll see if I can track it down.

Jakedog likes this.
  13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Early on I had a Digitech GSP21 Legend (still have it, actually, and it still works fine). From there came a Peavey TransTubeFEX that kept me going for a long time. Then there was a GT-100, a Yamaha DG-1000, a THR-10, a Mustang III V2, a Marshall JMD-100, a Helix, a GT-1000, and finally a Kemper.

ASATKat and Jakedog like this.
  14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Peavey Transformer

Not a bad amp but after I got more than one guitar I realized no matter what I played through it they all sounded pretty much the same

15. Frodebro

That was a problem for almost all of the early units. The current generation stuff pretty much at every price point doesn't suffer that shortcoming.

16. claptonrules

claptonrules TDPRI Member

Fractal AX8 thru a Friedman ASC 10. Solid State but looks like a vintage tube amp and sounds awesome. AX8 "the best" piece of gear I've ever owned. So incredible.

Frodebro likes this.
  17. Frodebro

I'm very seriously considering an Axe III right now. I think it would make a killer combination with the Kemper.

18. claptonrules

claptonrules TDPRI Member

Axe III is the bomb. Incredible and they continue to update firmware so getting better and better. My son has one and it's awesome. Just way too big for me. I throw my AX8 in a flypack and I'm gone. I was on waiting list for new FM3 and received my invitation to purchase yesterday and declined. I'd need an FC 6 floorboard and the two combined is just too much hassle. Hoping my AX8 runs a long long time. Having said that, if you don't mind the size of the III, buy it. Not a better modeler on the market. Fractal is awesome. Have fun.

19. Frodebro

It would be for home studio use only, so it would sit in the rack along with the Kemper and never leave the house.

20. JBrown13

JBrown13 NEW MEMBER!

Let’s see...
    Roland GP 16
    Johnson Millinieum (sp...)
    HD 500
    HD 500x
    Line 6 DT 50 212
    Kemper Stage

I also owned an L5 and a Gallien Krueger 250ml

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.