1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is your digital amp history since the 90s

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, May 8, 2020.

1. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

I have a Roland Micro Cube from the first series. Nothing before, nothing after. It is a good, and durable battery amp.
    My two other amps are solid state Tech 21 Trademarks.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    RyCo1983 likes this.
  2. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby TDPRI Member

Zoom 505 pedal (does that count?)
    Boss GT8
    Line 6 Vetta I
    Line 6 Flextone III
    Line 6 Spider Valve HD MkI
    Line 6 X3 Pro
    Digitech GSP1101
    Amplitube plugin (now version 4 after upgrades)
    Axe FX II
    Boss Katana (Although I'm torn if it's more just a SS vs modeling amp)

I think that's all of them. I have had tube amps along the way, and while I really like the tubes, the modeling stuff is just more practical for me.

Tele_Luvr likes this.
  3. Titch

Titch TDPRI Member

I have a Fender Cyber Twin 2x12 ver.1 which I still sometimes use for gigs and I've had a Roland Blues Cube Artist which unfortunately died on me after a couple of weeks so that's my only experience with digital amps, I've since gone to a HRD which works for me.

4. scifistratocast

scifistratocast TDPRI Member

Norlin Industries, Gibson, Moog, Lab Series L5 Solid State since 1976.
    It does it all in any venue.

5. Zman28

Zman28 TDPRI Member

I am a tube guy all the way. I have Marshall 100 watts, 65 deluxe, Blues junior Special. I heard about modelers and never tried them . I heard about Fender XD series and decided to try one out. I found a used Super Champ XD. For 230 dollars. I loved the fact it had a tube front end and solid state back end . I only play at home and the Super Champ was amazing. I loved it and decided to try their Vibro champ xd as well. Believe it or not I paid 125 for it. It had one tube that was needing replacement . Being a 5 watter it is great for travel and has a huge sound. Now they are my go to amps. The built in effects are a great plus as well. I have had them since 2010 and they are still going strong.

6. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

My first amp was a big old Randall 120w and I wish I’d never sold it from there I went Peavey valve amp for 30 years
    Got a line 6 as part of a guitar purchase and liked but didn’t love it
    Still have 150w mustang I’ve had a while and in the meantime a couple hot rods and a twin reverb have come and gone but still got the stang
    Acquired a behringer gm110 which was one of the first modeling amp and fairly low tech and it’s a fun little amp and have a vox MV50 which is hybrid and I love it
    Last purchase a nice little RX75r Randall for not much money and I can get it dialed in so it sounds exactly like my Marshall DSL so it’s a good little (not so light) solid state I keep at the office now

Attached Files:

7. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

ADA MP1
    Marshall JMP-1

Those are digital pre-amps, I guess.

8. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

Have a Kemper Powerhead I use for gigs and a Katana I use for rehearsal/ backup. I love tube amps but I sold them off because I wasn't using them after I got the Kemper.
    It all started with a Johnson Millennium liked the sounds but it didn't cut through in a band situation. I've owned many digital boxes/amps Pod ,Pod xt,Pod 500, Pod 500 HD,M 13, HX Stomp, 40 watt spider (Bogner), Vox VT 40,GT 1000,Zoom?,Boss MS 3 (Still have) I'm sure there's more but I can't believe I remembered these! My main problem with the Line 6 stuff is I could never get a satisfying clean tone out of one and obviously owned a lot still have the HX Stomp. The Kemper is the best so far !!!!!!

Attached Files:

9. linux

linux TDPRI Member

When I took up guitar three years ago I bought a Fender Mustang. It seemed overly complicated so at some point I got a Blues Jr and use that pretty much exclusively, with the Mustang as a backup when the tube amp goes wonky. The Blues Jr. just seems more straightforward, plus it gives me an excuse to not practice and waste money on pedals I don't need :)

I recently bought a Blackstar Fly 3W mini amp for practicing in another room. It's just OK, but does give me the option of plugging in headphones which the Blues does not. Sound through the headphones is much better.

10. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

I had one of the first Line6 Flextones in my area. It really was a great amp. Played it for 20 yrs until it finally smoked at a gig. It had a few limitations but, always sounded great.

11. Guitarmonkey1963

Guitarmonkey1963 NEW MEMBER!

E936D0A0-198D-49E6-9E5B-B6205BCA7292.jpeg My first and favourite was a Johnson Millennium JM250. The sounds were and still are absolutely monstrous. Now I also use a Fender CyberTwin 212, and a VOX Tonelab SE pedal....these will turn anything into anything else....

12. dreamsinger

dreamsinger TDPRI Member

I used various Line6 pedals for my guitar (home only) and bass (all the time) but fell away from both uses. I've been using a GP10 and a VG8 with a "quasi-acoustic" guitar I had built That I like so much that my Tele is going to get a GraphTech Ghost MIDI setup added. The analog side of my Tele runs through an Ethos OD *Amp* and a 2x10 RevSound cab loaded with Celestion Golds.

13. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Currently have a Roland cube 80gx and I like that little amp. It’s portable has a line out, it’s clean, takes pedals well. Overall a good amp. I’ve tried digital pedals and I just don’t like em and the amps have just too many bells and whistles for my simple mind. Just give me volume, bass, treble, and miss and I’m good to go. Someone mentioned tone master twin and I would be very interested if had the funds.

14. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Full circle started tube amps in the 70s .In the 80s ss peavey. 2000s spyder and small 15 amp marshall for the headphone jack so i can play late at night. 2019 back to tube vox ac15 done thats it.
    Maybe?

15. Rob L

Rob L Tele-Meister

Never owned and I doubt I ever will. I record at home now and I use a BOSS GT-1 plugged into. I've found analog pedals just don't seem to sound good through a pc.
    I guess you could say I own a digital amp since the BOSS has multiple amps to choose from as well as effects and pre-set sounds. o_O
    But then it's not an amp so no I don't own one. :confused: (confused yet :lol:)

16. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I have a Cube 15, which often rides in the car to gigs, as a backup. It's OK for tiny venues but usually needs micing. It's great for silent play, after midnight and the sound is acceptable. I paid £20 for it, about ten years ago. I would be unwilling to pay for something like a Tonemaster- although the ones I've demo-ed sounded good in the shop- as I consider them expensive and relatively disposable. For that money, I could pick up a hand wired, used amp, which is almost infinitely repairable and will only become obsolete, when valves are no longer manufactured.

I look forward to hearing and preferably playing through a Tonemaster, Blues Cube or DV Mark, at a show. I don't want to comment about the functionality of modern digital amps, in band applications, until I have practical experience.

17. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

image.jpeg My first digital amp was the Johnson Millenium. It made everything Line 6 has ever done seem like a toy.

I still have one at home. Well..........one working & 4 or 5 dead Johnsons to harvest parts from. I can't trust them for shows anymore, but back in the day it was an awesome tool.

18. mhayden

mhayden TDPRI Member

My first amp was a Peavey Bandit 112 which I played from 1995 until I got my next amp which wasn’t an amp at all, but it was digital - the Fender Mustang Floor. I loved that thing. It sounded quite good and the simplicity of having stomp boxes and an expression pedal all in one unit was great. I also bought the Fender Mustang 2 at some point but it sounded terrible.

I really wanted an amp again (I was using the floor with headphones or a small PA) so I got a Fender Mustang III V2 with all of the foot controllers. It was great. The Fender models were awesome and I even loved the Orange Amp model. I used this for several years and it was my main gigging amp.

Then I decided I wanted something different and purchased a Katana 100watt 1x12 and a Boss GT-100. I used the Katana for my amp sound and the GT 100 for my pedals. This combo also sounded great and I used it for gigs for a few years.

Then I decided I wanted a tube amp. Went through a DSL40CR, Panama Fuego, DSL40CR again and finally decided to go back to digital. Bought another Fender Mustang III V2. I still love it. I also picked up a Vox VT40X and it also sounds great.

But, I ended up wanting a tube amp again and realized I needed a clean amp to use with a digital tool for pedals. My current rig is a Marshall Origin 50 with a Headrush Pedalboard used for most effects. I do have a Diezel VH-2 pedal and a Golden Brownie pedal for my distortions but everything else (wah, reverb, delay, modulation) all come from the Headrush. It all sounds great. This is the best sounding rig I’ve ever owned and I can’t imagine changing it...but I’ve said that too many times before...I’m sure I’ll have another GAS attack.

Now I still have my Mustang III and the Vox VT40X. My 9yo son uses the Vox for his guitar lessons and practice. I still plug into the Mustang from time to time and rock out on the Bassman model and the Orange model. It’s a great amp. IMHO the Fender Mustang III v2 is the best digital amp ever made.

19. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

My first digital amp was a Vox Valvetronix AD120VTH. I remember when they first came out and always wanted one since it was packed with features. "This is the only amp I will ever need", I thought. Then I finally found one for a great price, tested it out briefly, and bought it more on a whim. After a while, the digital reality set in. Distortion/High gain sounds left much to be desired. The fuzz effect was unusable. And it had a very unnatural decay to notes when you listened really closely. Even with the gate completely off, it still sounded gated as a note or chord died away. After also having disappointments with some digital effects pedals, I stay away from anything digital if at all possible.
    I have been curious about the Yamaha DG series. They have a lot of loyal followers now who swear by them (even allegedly Eric Clapton?). Ebay and the like has certainly caught on, and you can't buy them for dirt cheap anymore. Typical.

Jakedog likes this.
  20. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I have one of these tucked away somewhere. Anyone want it?

[​IMG]

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.