1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is your digital amp history since the 90s

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, May 8, 2020.

1. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I borrowed an V-amp years ago but I needed headphones so I gave it back... I got a THR10 when they were released and that's all and enough.

Played some Kempers and that stuff... even cloned a profile of my own bassman...

NO, for home the THR is enough for me and live I like real amps

2. mally

mally Tele-Afflicted

I had one of these !

3. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

Never had one. Maybe because the first ever digital amp that was made (as far as I know) sounded so bad. I use some digital pedals, they have become better.

4. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

In '99 I bought the original POD (bean) for recording at the time. It worked great for several years...

Since then I've owned the following...
    • Line 6 XT Live (This is my current backup stage modeler. It's mint and lives in a case)
    • BOSS GT-6
    • BOSS GT-8
    • Line 6 X3 Live
    • Zoom G3
    • Line 6 HD 500
    • Zoom B2 (currently still use for my Pedal Steel)
    • Line 6 Helix LT (My current studio and stage modeler)
    In the 80's/90's I used to use analog modeling... a Scholz Rockman (recording only) and an original SansAmp (now called the Classic)

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

About 15 years ago I had a Vox with two 8" speakers and that could also run on batteries. It started developing problems soon after I got it so it got sent back.
    A few years ago I got a Fender Mustang III that sounded ok and was fun to fiddle with, but that didn't ever seem to sound right at gigs. Once I got my AC15c1 the Mustang never went on stage again, I ended up selling it to someone who enjoys all the features for fiddling at home.

6. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

One of the very best amps I have owned was a G-dec 3 thirty, country edition. I had to sell it in a pinch, but it was untouchable at dialing in clean fender tones. The effects we're also good, again for basics like reverb and delay. Some backing tracks were really helpful, and the stock speaker was just fine. I've owned Pod and Mustangs, v. 2 and none came close to the G-dec.
    Greg

7. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I had an ADA MP-1 that was pretty fun. Sounded pretty good.

I got a Line 6 Flextone III when I was 18 for my graduation gift. That was back in 2003. Brand new for like $999 if I recall. Woof.

Ive had a couple PODs. Used the XT bean pretty extensively.

8. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Afflicted

I'm a tube amp guy. I love that analog sound. I do see there are some reasonable sounding digital stuff coming out, like Helix, Iridium … I like the thought of portability. I recently built a very small pedal rig with a Mooer baby bomb pedal amp.(never been an effects guy either. Still not sure if it is for me?

9. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Original POD which I used all the time into an 8 track recorder and a drum machine in hotel rooms while working out of town jobs for months at a time.

After my 13 year hiatus from playing, I’ve had a Helix and a GT1000. Now, I play 90% of the time in the box. Helix Native, Amplitube4, and recently Scuffham S-Gear. That S-Gear Stealer is my favorite digital Marshall.

gridlock likes this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

In my case, I guess the question is truly digital vs analog modeling and amp vs modeling unit/pedal.

My first amp was a Peavey Bandit 65 bought in 1986. Its clean channel became the key factor in what was to come. A lot of the things below used it as essentially a PA

About '95 or so I borrowed an original Sansamp from a friend and really liked it. I went with the less expensive GT2 and used it a lot with the Bandit.

A little later, probably about '98 or so, I bought a Korg AX-1000G floor unit that I liked better than the GT2. Unfortunately, it developed a weird, intermittent, static problem over time and the volume/wah pedal failed.

In the early 00's, I borrowed a POD for a while (from the same friend who loaned me the Sansamp. He was a big gear collector) and bought a Behringer V-Amp. I ended up using it on gigs. In one case at a corporate party gig, I had to loan my Bandit to the keyboard player and used the V-Amp through a borrowed boom box. It actually worked pretty well. Unfortunately, I dropped the V-Amp, breaking the power supply connector and doing other damage.

To replace the V-Amp and because the effects and recording bug bit around 2004 and I bought a DigiTech RP350. It has some interesting effects but the amp models aren't very good on it. I ended up going back to the GT2, my old reliable, in most situations. I stuck with this arrangement from about 2005 until 2015.

In 2015, I bought a open box Hotone Purple Wind head and mini-cabinet at Guitar Center. I liked it and ended up also buying the Mojo Diamond, British Invasion and Siva Boogie models. They worked well alone and as a pre-amp on the Peavey. I bought a Mooer Radar in 2019 and discovered the world of impulse responses. The Radar got destroy in a lightning strike power surge and I replaced it with a Hotone Binary IR Cabinet. A little later, I got the matching Binary Amp and that's what I'm using now.

11. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Only two and not a fan (though I’d love to try a ToneMaster Twin Reverb).
    • A Line-6 20 watt 1x12 amp, fun for few days -gone in a few weeks
    • A Yamaha TH10C, only liked the Deluxe Reverb setting -gone in a few months

12. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Line 6, Fender Cyber Twin V2, Today, Fender PRRI, but who knows what the future brings...

13. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

The last tube amp I owned was a Fender DeVille 60w. It was tired and due to be refurbished. I decide it was time for a change but didn't want to go with digital amp but wanted to go solid state. I ended up with a Quilter Tone Block 200 which I still use to this day for my jazz gigs and a Orange CR120 for my classic rock dates.

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve been a Roland Cube devotee for about 15 years now.
    I can find no fault with them, especially for my use/purpose.
    They’ve light, loud, cheap, versatile, dependable, complete (for my purposes), intuitive to use, and utterly replaceable.
    What’s not to like?
    I don’t need a pedalboard.
    I’m in and out of most of my gigs in one trip.

15. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

All tube 1973-1985
    SS 1985-2000
    All tube 2000-til death do us part.

Rowdyman likes this.
  16. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Had a Johnson J-Station. Used patch 42 a lot. Really! I was using the S/PDIF out and it got to where it would blast out full volume white noise every now and then. Oops. bye-bye

Next I got a Line 6 something or other 2x12 which weighed a ton. It was STEREO! Well, I mean it had 2 channels. It didn't have any stereo fx built in. bye-bye

Not digital, but then I tried a SANSAMP PSA-1. I wanted to do MIDI things with it but it was too old and its fw wouldn't allow it. bye-bye I had that paired with a TC rack FX thing. Encoder knobs started to get flaky on that so bye-bye. I liked patch 2 on that one.

Got a Katana 100 1x12. Messed around with the PC program but realized that approach is not for me. It's parked under the bench.

Got a Yamaha THR10C. It was OK but I sold it anyway, too many different things to try to learn.

Got a used Eleven Rack which is now in constant service in the recording "closet". I like it for the flexible I/O and big LCD and rack format. Wouldn't like it so much if it were on the floor. Basic sounds are adequate for me. I never play loud enough to get into "feel" territory. Planning on developing my own DSP effects for the FX loop.

===============
    What I've discovered about digital is that the kitchen-sink approach to features warrants a really well thought out UI. The Eleven has done a reasonable job in this regard. At $200 it was well worth it.

17. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I don't think I've had a digital amp. I use a Digitech RP 500 as a pedal board - haven't tried amp or cab models on it. As Jakedog says, the trick to these boxes is having the patience to learn how to get the sounds out of them. There is great stuff in there, and it's not so bad if you do it on the computer, and learn how to work it..

I've used an original Roland Blues Cube 60 for some years. Got it for real cheap, and it sounds pretty great. Holds up well against newer stuff, IMHO.

A friend tells me that Fender licensed the tech for the Tonemasters from Roland. Can anybody confirm that?

18. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

Floor POD (1st generation)
    Zoom pedals for amp sims (MS50G, etc)
    Fender Champion 40
    Fender Mustang III V2

Out of everything the Fender Champion was the best. Great sounds, great interface, great price.

19. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Scholz Rockman (pre-digital).

Johnson J-Station

GarageBand

Mustang III V2

Digital Larry likes this.
  20. kylejf90

kylejf90 Tele-Meister

My second amp was a Line 6 spider II, and even then I didn't like the distortion tones. Cleans were alright. I quit using it and then left it at a buddies house who moved and didn't care enough to get it back...I was an all tube snob only dabbling with Garage band up until a year ago when I moved into an apartment I didn't want to be noisy so I picked up a Focusrite interface and Bias Amp 2 standard. The only amp I want these days is an AC30HW, but even then the digital stuff is moving so quick I could upgrade to a higher level of Bias Amp and be happy with a pair of good monitors. I am truly in awe of the digital stuff these days.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.